Rust proofing after cutting threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scott2640

Veteran Member
I need to make up several very long bolts for my build (some as big as 40 inches). I found a good price on 5/8" galvanized bar stock that I can cut to length and thread to my specifications. I don't want use SB rod, sticker shock!

After I cut the threads, and there by remove all the galvanizing from the bar stock in the threaded area, what is the best way to treat the exposed steel to prevent/avoid the threads rusting? Epoxy? Paint?

appreciate the input.

Depends on what these bolts are holding . I always like Mercury soft seal or similar product the coat the same size bolts so they would not corrode when they are going through a housing

It might be worth a call to these folks and see if they can supply you with galvanized bolts as long as you need.
Videos - Portland Bolt

Watch the videos about making galvanized bolts. Very interesting.

Marine grease.
You could overdrill the hole and line with polyethylene tubing, then put the bolt in with marine grease slathered on the threads. The tubing will reject water and keep the bolts dry, and the marine grease is water resistant.

Why not buy galvanized threaded rod? McMaster Carr has these in various lengths.

Rust protection against what elements and where is the application ?
Above water line ?
Sea water ?
Mission critical stuff ?
Submersion or encapsulated ?

Will you be able to view the area for inspection every 5 or so years ?
SS is only good where there is oxygen to keep the surface protected.
Typically galvanized products are not used on boats.

We all have good opinions and responses, but we need more info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom