Sydney Boat Show.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebel

Vessel Name
Arcturus
Vessel Make
Polaris 35
Anybody heading for the show this year. I have booked two days and intend to be there Thursday and Friday. Would like to meet up with anybody else if possible.

If I win the Lotto jackpot this weekend Rebel, I'll be there. Otherwise I'll be going over my winch wiring for obvious reasons, as of last post. Also remounting the magnet for the chain counter which I can't seem to get to stay on the gypsy. The one that came with it was mounted in a hole drilled right through the gypsy, but it is too weak to trip the counter, so I have to glue another larger flatter one over it, which works, but keeps getting thrown/knocked off. There's always something, isn't there?

Oh Peter tie some line at 5m intervals on your chain and come and have some fun!!

On the other hand I can see your point on checking out the wiring. The anchor winch needs to work ist time everytime.

Rebel wrote:
Oh Peter tie some line at 5m intervals on your chain and come and have some fun!!
*Yes, I used to do that, but they always got tatty and dirty and hard to ID the colour to work out how much was out, so I bought a damn chain counter, installed it myself, and it worked!...Then one day it stopped working because the magnet supplied lost some of itself to rust, and it would just not trip the switch.* Adding another over the top solved it, but it is now glued on rather than recessed in a drill hole because it's larger, & keeps coming off.* But I have thought of a cunning plan, and I am determined to get it working again.* It's a matter of principle now, damnit.

Yep Jerry that's my solution.
I spray a meter of chain every 10mts. Red, yellow and blue.
Keep thinking of fitting a chain counter but then it may stop me from hauling out all my chain every 2 years. to clean and paint it.
Peter B what are you sticking the magnet with.
Try using Devcon plastic steel A , should work pretty well.

Tidahapah wrote:Try using Devcon plastic steel A , should work pretty well.
******* Exactly right or even JB Weld.

SeaHorse II wrote:Tidahapah wrote:Try using Devcon plastic steel A , should work pretty well.
******* Exactly right or even JB Weld.

*So far only an epoxy, but I'll look into those suggestions, so thanks.* But it'd be a bit stupid tho to go back to painting the chain when one has a chain counter which is only one wee magnet away from working, surely....?

Hi fella's new to this so bear with me, you could try cable ties as a chain counter!, one for ten metre's two for twenty metre's e.c.t.mine have been there for two years and no problems.
blankstare.gif
*good luck.

Bob ,
Back about 15 years ago I started off using cable ties but 1 found that they came off too easily, 2 only marked a small length of chain and 3 were very hard to see in the dark.
The paint works well but must admit a chain counter would be better.

Guess what. Everything humming now. Magnet attached well with plastic steel epoxy stick, winch fairly humming, and the damn thing won't count now. I guess because I drilled out half the old magnet to give the plastic steel something to lock into, (my previous attempts were epoxy onto a fairly smooth surface), it must have reduced the strength of the field (and yes, I did align the two fields), enough to end up too weak again damn-it. Now I'll have to fit a bigger magnet somehow. May cut a square recess out of the edge of the gypsy...? Other ideas anyone? It is beaut when it works - much better than paint which wears off, or ties or clips which get tatty and dirty and hard to see the colour of, and invisible at night.

I use cable ties, must agree difficult to see in the dark. Mine have been on for a couple of years & still there. A chain counter would be good though.

Back
Top Bottom