Murrells Inlet, SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psneeld

Guru
Vessel Name
Sold
Vessel Make
Was an Albin/PSN 40
Was thinking of stopping in there weather permitting this year.

Getting tired of the Waccamaw and Ditch drive.

Anyone from there or regularly make that inlet?

Trouble getting a slip in there or anchoring?

Looks to be limited slips and negative comments on any anchorages.

It's generally shallow and no good transient oriented marinas. IMO, the Waccamaw is the prettiest part of the whole trip, we'd always spend a few extra days gunkholing and hanging out. Going north, after our first trip, we'd go out Little River then back in at the Cape Fear to Southport or Bald Head.

I know you like that
stretch... but tastes are different.

It can be done because I know others do it...just would like to fine tune my info and have up to date info.

Scott- It's been several years since I was in M.I. At that time it was very sparse as far as accommodations. Lots of private docks, some commercial marinas (?), not much else, lots of skinny water. Not a destination high on the list.

No problem getting in or out in decent sea conditions. Then, that was..

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Yep....just looking for fresh and local knowledge.

Not much on AC.

Not a lot of transient traffic so holding my breath on fresh info.

I had fun on the marsh walk last time there...live music at several restaurants...hoping it still is the same.

I live here. Inlet is no problem. Two marinas. Marlin Quay is the first one and
its fine, yet small. Crazy Sister is the one near the Marsh Walk. Bigger and more
space for transients. They are dredging the channel to Crazy Sister as we speak.
Water is skinny at times but totally doable. Charters Boats come and go ALL the time. Marsh Walk is a total blast. Hope this helps.

I live here. Inlet is no problem. Two marinas. Marlin Quay is the first one and
its fine, yet small. Crazy Sister is the one near the Marsh Walk. Bigger and more
space for transients. They are dredging the channel to Crazy Sister as we speak.
Water is skinny at times but totally doable. Charters Boats come and go ALL the time. Marsh Walk is a total blast. Hope this helps.
Thanks.....

Too many times the use of "local knowledge" by cruising guides and writers in general tend to scare even experienced boaters from trying a new place....even though clueless local use it all the time...like my home inner.

So getting some variation of local knowledge makes me more comfortable to even attempt it.

With my speed, I don't have a lot of options so if I commit to there, I want to be sure I don't hit any showstoppers.

Last edited:
Wacca Wache Marina is deep water. It's on the Waccama River side of the town of Murrells inlet, and not actually in the inlet itself. However, it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. You'll need to take a cab down to the Marsh Walk where the restaurants, bars and nightlife are. There is almost always live bands down at one or more places on the Marsh Walk, especially on weekends.

The inlet itself is, as stated, very shallow. I've never been to Marlin Quay marina, however it boasts up to 65 ft LOA. I've never seen large boats at Voyagers View Marina. Crazy Sister Marina can take some larger boats, and is walking distance to the Marsh Walk.

If you're going to go back in to Crazy Sisters Marina, I would do so at mid tide or higher (preferablly higher). Watch the markers carefully, and don't cut them closely. This is particularly the case around G17, G19, G21, G23.

Also worth mentioning, the restaurant at Wacca Wache marina should be opening in a few weeks.

I've never been to Murrells Inlet by boat but I have gone there by car a few times. It's a pretty neat place with all the bars and restaurants and shops but I think Shrew's suggestion to dock at Wacca Wache Marina and take a cab makes sense considering the difficulty of getting there by boat.

Just my opinion of course.

I'm with caltexflanc, Waccamaw over MI. But variety is.....

It has several advantages over the true ditch...some that a cypress swamp in my mind doesn't outweigh.

A decent inlet with enough back bay water to get to a reasonable marina is all I need....sounds like it will fit the bill...just need the weather and a positive flip of the coin.

Back
Top Bottom