Oil change on ST6.3544m

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duvie

I am curious how others on the forum handle draining the engine oil on their 6.3544 Perkins. Looks like their may be several ways to do it but most seem to leave a significant portion of the oil in the pan. Leon

Mine have a nice little manual pump on it. Does it get it all? Maybe not, but I'm sure it gets the vast majority. without it, I'd build a oil change pump rig with parts from Grainger. A/C motor, rotary vane pump, and some simple plumbing. I still might make one. They are good for fuel scrubbing and pulling tranny fluid too.

Duvie wrote:
I am curious how others on the forum handle draining the engine oil on their 6.3544 Perkins. Looks like their may be several ways to do it but most seem to leave a significant portion of the oil in the pan. Leon
Without taking the pan off, you're never going to get it all out.*

I'm assuming you have the same pan as mine, which*are*6.354M's.* On the port side of the engine, where the pan mushrooms out, *I loosen* the*pan access port cover, which is held in place by two studs and nuts. Loosen nuts and it swings open.* insert hose and suck the oil out with a rotary vain pump*into a*5 gallon bucket.

Larry B

Larry, I will have to take a look at my engine closer. *I think I have a threaded plug in this location but it is somewhat lower than the full level on the dipstick. *probably about an inch lower. *I will let you know what I see when I stiop by the boat. *Thanks, Leon

Duvie wrote:
Larry, I will have to take a look at my engine closer. *I think I have a threaded plug in this location but it is somewhat lower than the full level on the dipstick. *probably about an inch lower. *I will let you know what I see when I stiop by the boat. *Thanks, Leon
Mine have a threaded plug in the hole on the starboard side pan, but on the port side there is*a larger hole with an egg shaped*cover plate, about the size of a half dollar,*held in place by two studs and nuts.

Define "significant portion of oil left." You don't need to replace every drop.

GonzoF1 wrote:
Define "significant portion of oil left." You don't need to replace every drop.
*A pint in a four quart engine is, in a five gallon like mine not so much.
smile.gif

The few points I have seen give acess*to drain the oil are an inch or two above the lowest part of the pan.* My guestimate is that there would be a gallon or so left behind.* I am going to swing by the boat today and look closer.* Maybe I can get a couple of pictures too.* Leon

Larry, I found the plate that you are talking about.* I have attached a picture of it.* I am guessing that the oil level under the plate must be nearly awash with the bottom of the plate when full.* How much oil do you generally get out on an oil change?* I am guessing around 2 1/2 to 3 gallons?? *Thanks for the information.* Leon

Attachments

• img00730-20120213-1604.jpg
    img00730-20120213-1604.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 116
Duvie wrote:
Larry, I found the plate that you are talking about.* I have attached a picture of it.* I am guessing that the oil level under the plate must be nearly awash with the bottom of the plate when full.* How much oil do you generally get out on an oil change?* I am guessing around 2 1/2 to 3 gallons?? *Thanks for the information.* Leon
That is the oil pump out port.*

Capacity*on a 1976 6.354 n/a is 2.5 gallons including filter.* I would think it would be the same on later models, unless your pan is smaller.* You should be able to pump your pan out through this port without an overflow.* On mine you just crack the nuts loose and rotate the plate to the left to expose the hole. Crack it open and see!!

Larry B*

On my 6.354's.... I have a 5 gallon bucket with a vane pump and a small diameter tube I insert into the dipstick tube and pull out as much as I can. When I can't get any more, I unscrew the fitting where the dipstick tube enters the block and remove the dipstick and reinsert the pickup tube and work it toward the rear to get the rest of the oil. Seems to get about all of it, because after changing oil...refilling the crankcase, and running the engine the oil has remained pretty clear!

Haven't tried pulling the plate off though.

Should be fine as long as you don't have an overfill situation, like when the fuel lift pump diaphram breaks and squirts an extra gallon of No. 2 oil into the crankcase before you catch it.* That was the only time it overflowed on me.
no.gif

Back
Top Bottom