1987 chung whaa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motion30

Guru
I own a 44'chung whaa sundeck my
The fuel tanks are fiberglass on the outside. I wonder if anybody knows if these are fiberglass tanks or fiberglass over Steel. I have a leak in the port tank and have not yet had the opportunity to pull the inspection plates

I'd say they would be fiberglass. Can't say I've seen a steel tank covered in fiberglass. Wouldn't see the point in that. But there's a first for everything I guess.

Ok so i drained the tank and opened the inspection port. Steel tank covered in fg. Surprisingly it looks pretty clean inside period but I still need to find my leak

I have the same tanks, these were popular throughout the late eighties. I believe the concept was a desperate response to the failing tanks issue. In theory it was a good idea, a tank in a tank and total protection for the exterior metal. If the metal tank failed the fiberglass tank would contain the leak. The problem is that if they did a poor glass job, water would get between the glass and metal causing rapid rusting. If they were glassed properly the tanks will likely last forever.

Back
Top Bottom