International 466 SAE #2 bell housing adapter plate for 72C velvet drive connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Do they exist, if so anyone have a source?

Alternatively make one. On the SAE bell housing, is the bolt circle an exact center to the crank centerline?
Are the adapter plates pinned for alignment to the bell housings? (Like automobile transmissions are)

Bellhousings are standardized, the 466 uses a #2.`
SAE Bell Housings Made Easy! | Foley Engines

2 18.375 12 .433 3/8

Also should it be 1/2 or 3/8 thick steel plate?

SAE flywheel housings are standardized. Sort of. Usually bolt circles are per spec, but flywheel faces are often modified for clutches or torque converters. No way to really tell til you get the engine and measure things.

I'd use 1/2" plate to adapt to the gear.

Usually no alignment pins, things are kept centered by pilot bore shoulder on plate. You need a big lathe to cut that, or a mill with a rotary table.

Bolt circles and crank CL are concentric.

SAE flywheel housings are standardized. Sort of. Usually bolt circles are per spec, but flywheel faces are often modified for clutches or torque converters. No way to really tell til you get the engine and measure things.

Usually no alignment pins, things are kept centered by pilot bore shoulder on plate. You need a big lathe to cut that, or a mill with a rotary table.

I have been thinking the IH 466 or IH 360 would be good choices for a DIY marinization project.

Do you know of any that have done that? the engines are common and not expensive, have wet liners and parts are also not expensive. Would need to be 1994 or earlier to stay with mechanical injection.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/201...on-rebuilding-the-international-dt466-engine/

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you wanted to use a DT466 just get the SAE adapter from the #2 truck bellhousing to the marine gear of choice, all standard. But why ? I have only seen one boat with the DT466s, it was a sportfisher and had TD gears. The guy built the "manicoolers" and did a very good job. On the downside, no one makes marinization parts, especially exhaust manifolds. The wet liners are a problem, o rings tend to go bad. Turning up the older inj pumps is not a big deal (7100 pump) but newer electronic engines are pretty much standard at around 210 HP, not enough for most boat applications. It would be cheaper, better, more cost efficient and did I say better, to go with a Cummins C series.

If you wanted to use a DT466 just get the SAE adapter from the #2 truck bellhousing to the marine gear of choice, all standard. But why ? I have only seen one boat with the DT466s, it was a sportfisher and had TD gears. The guy built the "manicoolers" and did a very good job. On the downside, no one makes marinization parts, especially exhaust manifolds. The wet liners are a problem, o rings tend to go bad. Turning up the older inj pumps is not a big deal (7100 pump) but newer electronic engines are pretty much standard at around 210 HP, not enough for most boat applications. It would be cheaper, better, more cost efficient and did I say better, to go with a Cummins C series.

Somehow I have been thinking IH 466 are much cheaper to get a used engine, rebuild it, and DIY the coolant system. I was thinking keel coolers and dry wrapping the exhaust manifold. If that manifold was too close to block, then create 6 port extensions from head to space it outwards. Still have no dry stack, it would have a dry riser and water injector and exhaust exit like normal boats.

Are the turbos heat wrapped?
This is just me learning something new, not that I would do any of this. Who knows the future.

Does anyone have the height width length of a 466?

Google Boats and Harbors magizne there will be dozens of tranny rebuilders to ask for parts.

I think Mesa Marine makes wet manifolds.

For 100-200 HP you can't do better at 5 x the price.

A lathe or an easier idea is.
Get some square key stock.
heat it up red and bend to fit the circle.
Red hot this bends and conforms like wet spaghetti
Tweak it so it fits well, weld the ring shut
Center and weld to the steel flat circular plate.
Note this weld circle does not have to be absolute perfection.
What is critically important is lining up the bearing train so everything is inline.

kind of like what I did here but on a larger scale. But does require some skill.

Reconstruction album
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YlpKdHRzb3BTV1VOQlBxaUxZRDNUMmw0bEtoRVl3

If you could put the motor vertical so flywheel faces straight up, have one side of the plate finished, likely transmission side, with the damper bolted to flywheel and transmission sitting in place on top of the motor, it partially mostly self aligns, then you mark all 4 sides of the circle as far as how far it can slide to the extreme one way then the other the transmission attached to the adapter plate your making onto the bell housing, then take half of that and your centered. You're taking advantage of the play to determine the center.
Before this you have the ring you bent fit to the inside of the motor bell housing circle
So after you marked the plate, unbolt trans and tack weld or braze the ring to the plate.
Then remove plate and weld or braze entire ring. then drill the bolt holes.
Even so, I know it can be done, and harder than I am describing this.
I would rather get one already made, but if I had to do it, I would get it done.

Attachments

• 20170221_084020.jpg
    20170221_084020.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom