Pencil zincs Ford Lehman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irish Pirate

Vessel Name
The Irish Pirate
Vessel Make
34' Marine Trader Europa
Hi,
I Am a new owner of a 1975 34' Marine Trader with a 120hp Lehman. I am replacing the pencil Zincs.
I have only found one so far( the back of the engine top heat exchanger I think)
Is there more than one?
Thanks,
Keith

There can always be more if people used different parts or added them, but that is the only one I have.

Yup, typically only in the engine coolant heat exchanger (the big one). Just an FYI, make sure the zinc is not too long. If too long it can hit the cover bolt and when tightened the zinc snaps off at the base (inside) and you wont know it. (ask me how I know this) Make sure the zinc will not reach too close to the center. 1.5-1.75" long is about it. Since the correct length pencil is harder to find, I usually just buy the standard 2" ones and lop a little piece off the end.

Ken

I recollect there are 2. one pencil thick and a second one as thick as your little finger. But i forget where.

I've only got the one zinc in main engine heat exchanger. Both my oil and transmission coolers are original and don't have zincs. I remember once hearing the guys from American diesel saying the originals didn't have them but the replacements did.
You gotta love fresh water boats.

Greetings,
I have had two types of tranny and engine oil coolers, One type with an anode and the other without. Quite obvious which is which. As noted above, one may have to shorten an anode either for the heat exchanger and/or the oil/tranny coolers.

Thanks! Excellent info especially making sure it is not to long.
I believe I only have the one upon further inspection. It is the size of my finger.
:thumb::thumb:

My new oil coolers from American Diesel last spring were the cupro nickle type and had no zincs...maybe the less expensive ones might...not sure what metal alloy they are.

My new oil coolers from American Diesel last spring were the cupro nickle type and had no zincs...maybe the less expensive ones might...not sure what metal alloy they are.

Yes. I got new ones 2 years ago and no zincs.

Yup, typically only in the engine coolant heat exchanger (the big one). Just an FYI, make sure the zinc is not too long. If too long it can hit the cover bolt and when tightened the zinc snaps off at the base (inside) and you wont know it. (ask me how I know this) Make sure the zinc will not reach too close to the center. 1.5-1.75" long is about it. Since the correct length pencil is harder to find, I usually just buy the standard 2" ones and lop a little piece off the end. Ken

Agree. 1 in the heat exchanger and cut the zincs first. Amer. Diesel sells the 2" length. Replace annually. Make sure heat exchanger and coolers have a good elec. bond with engine ground.

Funny, my heat exchanger takes the stock zincs from everywhere no sweat....

Now it may be a 135 heat exchanger as the PO had this engine built up from a mishmash of parts.

Anyone know if there is a difference?

Funny, my heat exchanger takes the stock zincs from everywhere no sweat....

Now it may be a 135 heat exchanger as the PO had this engine built up from a mishmash of parts.

Anyone know if there is a difference?

Our 135 takes the stock pencil zinc. I did change the zinc to an aluminum anode. The anode has a wire core which isn't as susceptible to breaking off during changing or inspection.

I have 3 on my Marine Trader but I have a Mercedes engine.

And 2 kinds of window covers....:D

And 2 kinds of window covers....:D

Very funny! YES! The boat came with so much stuff including tools, I find something new weekly! I'm sure this Sunday will be no different! :socool:

I have an '81 Marine Trader 34 with a 120 Lehman and it only has one zinc. It's on the top of the heat exchanger. It also takes a stock pencil zinc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom