G.b.42 classic h.i.n.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have a 2000 model year GB 42. hull number is located on starboard side of transom.

i have a 2000 model year GB 42. hull number is located on starboard side of transom.

+1. Sometimes the number is covered by the swim step or under it.

Edit: is your '72 a woody?

Look under the swim step on the starboard side.

S/N located on starboard side of transom :
Yes for fiberglass GBs, Not for the woodies on which there was only a hull # on the ID plate, at least on both of my father's GB 42 woodies years 1968 & 1973 from which "I can provide actual evidence to support it however".

Attached pics :
- ID plates on my father's 42, 1968 & 1973.

Attachments

• GB 42 YEAR 1968.jpg
    GB 42 YEAR 1968.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 96
  • GB 42 YEAR 1973.jpg
    GB 42 YEAR 1973.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972 must bear a HIN.

HIN Formats Before August 1, 1984

The boat manufacturer must display two identical hull identification numbers, no less than one-fourth of an inch high, on each boat hull. The primary HIN must be permanently affixed (so that it can be seen from outside the boat) to the starboard side of the transom within two inches of the top of the transom, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. On boats without transoms or on boats on which it would be impractical to the transom, the HIN must be affixed to the starboard outboard side of the hull, aft within one foot of the stern and within two inches of the top of hull side, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. The starboard outboard side of the hull aft is the preferred HIN location for many manufacturers. On catamarans and pontoon boats the HIN must be affixed on the aft crossbeam within one foot of the starboard hull attachment.

It looks like GB chose to also place one on a plate near the lower helm station as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom