"ShtFaced Captain" - YouTube Title...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art

Guru
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
"ShtFaced Captain" - YouTube Title...

Wow - Quite a show of what NOT to do! :facepalm: :lol: :dance:

Not much you can say about that driving, it pretty much speaks for itself. You just have to be thankful that no one else or their boats were in his way.

He hates the bridge! Stay away from the bridge!

Other than the bad driving, what is the indication he is drunk? It's not mentioned once in the video and there is no visual confirmation of their sobriety.

Other than the bad driving, what is the indication he is drunk? It's not mentioned once in the video and there is no visual confirmation of their sobriety.

Just a good guess - I guess - By the poster onto YouTube????? :popcorn:

I don't know if the "captain" is inebriated, incompetent or some combination but there are certainly some errors being made. Similarly disturbing is the mean spirited nature of our society and the joy in everyone's voices as they witness the failure and property damage. While I doubt the crowd can be heard from on board the flailing vessel, when did it become socially acceptable to yell jeers and mockeries at strangers like you are at some sporting event? I'm sure I am missing context and I offer no defense of this "captain" but there is a lot of poor behavior on display here and probably a lot of alcohol involved.

Greetings,
How about this for a scenario. New boater, new boat. Approaching bridge, one engine dies. The captain is inexperienced and attempts to maneuver on one engine. Then, the other engine dies. The captain panics and starts one of the dead engines and mistakenly shifts into reverse.

So how shtfaced or sober might he be? Don't be too quick to judge.

Couple of possibilities as I see it.
It looks like a fairly decent current at the bridge. And what if for some reason he lost an engine as was running on one. That would certainly explain the lack of control.

Looks like it took great skill to move a boat under the bridge sideways in that current.

Bridge piers are notorious for making quirky currents, and maybe the helmsman was unsure the boat would clear the bridge. Doesn't explain the whole scenario, however.

Similarly disturbing is the mean spirited nature of our society and the joy in everyone's voices as they witness the failure and property damage. While I doubt the crowd can be heard from on board the flailing vessel, when did it become socially acceptable to yell jeers and mockeries at strangers like you are at some sporting event?

To me that is far more disturbing than the boat actions. I don't grasp at all how anyone thinks there is humor or joy in the tragedy or problems of others.

To me that is far more disturbing than the boat actions. I don't grasp at all how anyone thinks there is humor or joy in the tragedy or problems of others.

I share your distaste of the comments made. However, from the comments I heard I got the impression that the person had just left that dock and that the woman filming had spoken with the captain. The captain's condition or attitude at that time may have influenced their reaction to his plight.

Not a single person said " gee he's in trouble, can I help" Very sad .

My steering went out in the marina not long after we bought William . It was not pretty. I was able to get into an empty slip and no damage was done . But I did PANIC with the gear and speed shifter and made some mistakes . Maybe his steering was out .

My steering went out in the marina not long after we bought William . It was not pretty. I was able to get into an empty slip and no damage was done . But I did PANIC with the gear and speed shifter and made some mistakes . Maybe his steering was out .

That was my first thought too.

On the other hand, it may all be a staged youtube event, something like America's Funniest Video kind of thing where none of them ever appeared to have just been captured without planning.

Back
Top Bottom