FS:Alligator River Marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Act now! Bidding closes on Tuesday! Here's your chance to chase your dream and own your own marina. Okay, maybe not... But it seems like ol' Wanda has finally thrown in the towel and is putting the Alligator River Marina on the auction block. However, in the four months we traveled to Manteo, we only saw ONE boat moored there (there is a full-time boat, but only one besides that). So it seems that it only gets business during the snowbird migration. I mean, it is really in the middle of nowhere out there. Only useful to boats if the bridge is closed and you're headed south. Or maybe just for a quick stop-over (we stayed there once). The convenience store probably does okay though. It even comes with a 42' Hatteras. I mean come on... 27 acres?!?! That is a pretty big plot of waterfront right there.

News Story: https://outerbanksvoice.com/2017/03/26/auction-under-way-for-store-marina-at-alligator-river-bridge/

Auction Link: https://www.tranzon.com/fx1864

marina-1-1.jpg

I will miss her Christmas Cards...... :(

Stayed there several times going both ways. Last time was December 20, 2014 which was her last day open until Spring. From the boat I could see some interesting things going on under the lights at the 24 hour pumps. Always liked stopping there and getting hamburger steak, fried okra and mashed potatoes for supper. Hope whoever buys it keeps it open.

Beatiful little lifestyle business, but talk about vulnerable to sea levels rising!

Behind Hatteras...not sure I ever saw the water levels very high there after around 15 stops.

Many more places I would be worried about sea levels.

We have passed it several times but never stopped there. We probably should have just for the experience.

27 acres, 19 boat slips with none occupied (at least in the pic) and a cell phone tower lease. I hope that lease brings in some bucks because that will be your only income in the winter.

And it is in Columbia, NC. I have been to downtown Columbia. Not an experience I want to repeat often.

David

That's still a great deal if you want waterfront property. People pay that much [the starting bid] for a fraction of an acre in the more populated regions of the state without a boat slip either. I would buy that in a heart if I had the funds and wanted to retire in peace.

It beats most of the area along the sounds and ICW now given all of the yahoos that's made their way to the coastal region and has shoved their "that's not the way we did it up north" from behind their semi gated homeowners association communities. ;):thumb: But the sea level rise? Almost seventy plus years and yet has only seen a couple of days of water that's come close to burying the banks. Just ask the fine folks in Hatteras how long their generations of families have been there and the island still going strong, 'cept for the many rules barring people from the beaches because of the turtles and plovers.:popcorn:

27 acres, 19 boat slips with none occupied (at least in the pic) and a cell phone tower lease. I hope that lease brings in some bucks because that will be your only income in the winter.

And it is in Columbia, NC. I have been to downtown Columbia. Not an experience I want to repeat often.

David

It is transient a only marina AND there is a busy convenience store with gas pumps there too. The store makes the money... the marina is for fun. The listing has the lease for cell tower and it's only, from what I took away from it, was $900/month.

a cell phone tower lease. I hope that lease brings in some bucks because that will be your only income in the winter.
And cell tower's separate, just like the boat. The cell co. got first option on buying it too.

Last edited:
The NC sounds are not like waterfront property anywhere else in the eastern US. LOTS and LOTS of shoreline, and not much population. Maybe like GA and some of SC.

Waterfront does not pull a premium there unless there is something special going on.

A creative person could make a go of this marina, though. It would be tough to make the money numbers work.

But the mortgage on it would be like $2500/mo.....you get 900 from the cell tower...rent the house for a grand or so..a little for the billboard, ramp launch fees, and the gas station....and your break even is pretty low. That seems like a real bargain if it goes off at less than $6-700k. A little advertising to fill up the marina, rent some skiffs, kayaks and jet-ski's....let Enterprise rent-a-car park a few cars there....there's a lot of opportunity there.

Greetings,
While the opportunity seems lucrative, I'd say you could kiss your boating goodbye. Running a business is a full time job+. So, yes, a great place to keep your boat but not the best choice if one wants to keep boating.

I wonder what the son is doing?

I believe he lives in the second house...but that property might not be in the listing.

He and the short order cook used to run the place when Wanda was in Florida during the late season stops I made.

This place is a long ways from anywhere as far as tourists go...but it might be a sportsman's paradise with the state land and unpopulated water all around.

Back
Top Bottom