Wireless Nav: Nobeltec TimeZero App overlays AIS, Charts & Furuno DRS4W?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dw8928

Vessel Name
Silver
Vessel Make
Helmsman 31
I have been searching for a simple system that installs wirelessly. I have ordered the Standard Horizon GX6500 VHF/DSC/GPS/AIS transponder & receiver (aka transceiver) and was mulling over the possibilities.

Nobeltec has a solution that integrates and overlays the Furuno DSR4W onto their charts. According to Panbo http://www.panbo.com/archives/2014/12/nobeltec_timezero_app_2015_furuno_drs4w_wifi_radar_overlay_more.htmlit will overlay AIS Data. The setup requires a WiFi bridge but makes the TimeZero App and the radar and an iPad connect wirelessly and overlay one another.

Which means in theory one can get this electronics package:

1) iPad Pro (10.5" bezelless HD screen arriving next month) for ~$600
2) Furuno DSR4W = $995
3) WiFi bridge = ~$350
4) Standard Horizon GX6500 (w/AIS true transceiver/GPS/VHF/DSC = $799
5) Nobeltec TimeZero and needed apps = ~$125 How it works - Sailing App features & FAQ | Nobeltec TimeZero App
TOTAL: $2,869

Needed but NOT wireless and would have to connect to the WiFi bridge (Panbo says these 'might' also ingrate in the future via the Wifi bridge):

1) Depth sounder (maybe sonar) = $?
2 Autopilot = $?

Any thoughts on this setup?

Attachments

• ipad_drs4wdiagram.jpg
    ipad_drs4wdiagram.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Nobeltec TimeZero app 2015 w Furuno WiFi radar cPanbo-thumb-465xauto-10418.jpg
    Nobeltec TimeZero app 2015 w Furuno WiFi radar cPanbo-thumb-465xauto-10418.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Attachments

• iKommunicate Top Angle LR-350x350.jpg
    iKommunicate Top Angle LR-350x350.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 428
That looks like a pretty slick system.

Maybe you can contact the manufacturer and see if they can put you in touch with someone who has it up and running.

So far I have not been able to find an autopilot and depth sounder/sonar that integrates through the ipad without also using the MFD. Most systems seem to use the MFD for processing. In other words, this is their way of making a captive system.

What I want is to use the iPad/Android Tablet as the MFD. Then bridge various manufacturers systems through that iPad.

Perhaps using Signal K both onboard and off. NMEA 0183 & 2000 are apparently only intended as an onboard intranet. Signal K turns that into an intranet/internet experience. In other words, you can see the data from everything while connected to your boat's router (away from shore & internet) - and once back within range of an internet connection, you can see your boat's systems from a restaurant or home.

That looks like a pretty slick system.

Maybe you can contact the manufacturer and see if they can put you in touch with someone who has it up and running.

I have the iKommunicate and now a SignalK node server running on Raspberry Pie. Also run Nobeltec and furuno systems. Excellent system, have also setup a few humidity sensors and temp sensors running on nano arduino. Inexpensive (<30$) and fun. Working on connecting them via wifi modules now and integrating into SignalK.

I also use iPads (4) to Display additional views from my PLC and nmea data in the PH and the FlyBridge.

While signal k reads depth, I have not seen where someone has authored the code to do the processing needed to provide Anything other than depth, such as fishfinder or history, although I think you could graph the history relativity easily via web app and SignalK.

You can create an autopilot via RPI but, not sure that is for anything but a true hacker. You. Wed to feed it a lot of data to be effective.

In order for SignalK to be effective for what you want you will need a nmea 2k or 0183 network, after all that's its primary purpose as an aggregator of data stating with NMEA.

Maybe consider this. Get a cheap NavNet 3D system with a very small screen. Run a full blown Nobeltec system on a computer (I run Mac mini's with boot camp.). Get a furuno depth sounder which connects via Ethernet, and consider either the wireless or POE/Ethernet radar. I would lean wired for that. Then, leverage SignalK to show what you need from NMEA. PYou will need have a monitor for a true sounder, that would display via Nobletec. Or you could skip the SignalK and just remote control your computer running nobeltec to have all the nmea data on it. Including radar overlay, depth sounding. You basically have a portable display.

I do this when fishing, running the iPads from the cockpit, showing both radar/plotter on one, and sounder on the other (I have two Mac minis running nobeltec.

You will need to interface your pc with NMEA though via USB/NMeA.

Sounds complicated, but it's not, nobeltec and furuno integrate well. Furuno system will give you redundancy and do 183 conversations for you if you have any NMEA 0183 systems. PCs give you a lot of flexibility.

Great apps for iKommunicate/SignalK are WilhelmSK and NMEA remote.

Why would you need the Signal K node server if you have the iKommunicate running?

Plus you've just blown my lower cost premise! 2 Mac Minis, laptop, iKommunicate, Raspberry Pi, 4 iPads = a lot of $$$$$!!!!

The node server is open, and allows for integration of the arduino stuff. It's more of a toy/experiment system, and cost sub 100$ including 7inch touch screen.

I hear you on cost, I was in the same boat, don't get me wrong, you could use the Nobeltec app, wireless radar and figure out how to get depth. Cheap and easy. Depth is the biggest issue for sure.

However, a computer with small monitor is reasonable, you can get a sub 500$ system. That seems well worth the expandability. You can skip the furuno system and just connect a furuno depth to nobeltec natively as well as the radar. You will need something for depth. So that should be a wash, the computer will cost say 500$ heck you can get a laptop with touch screen from costco for <400.

The big reason i suggest a furuno system (600$ from eBay if you want to go that route) is it gives you a back up, incase the computer fails (which they do). plus it comes with built in maps with you needing to buy them from Nobeltec. 300-600 savings.

However, i did make one mistake in my assumptions, i did not ask what your usage will be, if you don't need redundancy in key areas, if you can troubleshoot and handle wifi issues (they do occur), then a device like IKommunicate to do the wifi/nmea translation (remember you will be working with NMEA 0183 based on the user guide for the NObeltec app.) you should be fine, you will need to validate with iKommunicate it has all the strings you will need, (another reason for the NODE server).

Its always easier to spend other peoples money :) take this suggestions for what that worth.

WTF are they talking about?

For $200 i installed Wi-Fi on my garmin twin plotter system and can see everything on the boat via I pad, to include engine room cameras. Not only can I see everything but can make my iPad or iPhone virtual chart plotters.

Gordon

I've got an iKommunicate waiting for me in the mail. Anxious to get back to the states to give it a go next month.

Thanks for the info Beaver

It is really a discussion about using traditional VHF radio with GPS, chartplotters, radar, etc and connecting them directly to an iPad and eliminating the Multifunction display in favor of 1 or 2 iPads. Then being able to see that data when you are far away from your boat over the internet by using the iKommunicate device connected to your boat router.

And having the least expensive but broadest capabilities but still be simple to setup.

Even the router needs to be simple and essentially require zero netoworking knowledge

WTF are they talking about?

Last edited:
I use TZ Nav, but wired. Furuno works well and was the dealer when I bought in. There was a sale and Furuno lost the dealership to Nobeltec, but they still do a good job of making their stuff work.
Busy harbors with a lot of wifi nav could be a problem. But I'm an old timer and still use my radar by itself.

I've got an iKommunicate waiting for me in the mail. Anxious to get back to the states to give it a go next month.

Thanks for the info Beaver

It really is a good system, plug in, and play. It took <30 minutes including wiring.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom