Raw Water Pump Lube Thingy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FOG

Guru
Vessel Name
DreamQuest
Vessel Make
Prairie 36
This is on both of my Perkins 6.354 raw water pumps. Opposite end of the impeller. It's got a zirc fitting for lubrication and two wires coming from the cylinder. I haven't traced the two wires to see where they go yet, but thought someone might know what this thing does off the top of their head? I can't read anything on the label.

Sorry about the sideways pics. My iPhone always does this even if I rotate them.

Attachments

• IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 185
My first thought was a solenoid of some sort but no idea what it might do. It also looks like a tachometer drive, but that doesn't seem right either.

I'll be following this thread with interest.

The second photo is looking down on it with the red cap removed?
I'm back to tachometer drive.

The second photo is looking down on it with the red cap removed?
I'm back to tachometer drive.

Yes. Second photo is with red cap removed.

Sure looks like a tach drive. If the wires are plugged into it, remove the plug, start the engine and see if the tach works.

Ted

Looks like a tach drive for a Glendinning Synchronizer

I'm going to take a real swag and if it is indeed connected via a shaft to your impeller, perhaps it is some way to prime the salt water side without running the entire engine?

Perhaps a devise that shuts down the engine if no water flow?

It is definitely designed to accept a tachometer cable under the red cap.
It doesn't seem to be connected to the pump. In fact it looks like it's placed to make it difficult to change the impeller.

I think Highwire nailed it. I found a picture of the piece with the grease fitting on the Glendinning website. Rotary Drive Components - Glendinning Products

My guess is that the black part is a tach generator that allows a mechanical tach cable to attach as well. The synchro would use a mechanical cable and the tachometer would us the electrical signal.

That's a signal generator for a tachometer. If there was a Glendinning sync involve, there would be a tach cable hooked up to where the red cap goes. Zerk fitting is to lube the spinning gears.

Never seen one driven by a sea water pump.

I do have digital tachometers on the flybridge and analog tachs at the lower helm. So the wires could go to the digital tachs. I'll have to see if I can trace the wires up to the FB.
I don't have a synchronizer. Next time I start the engines I'll remove the red cap and see if I can locate something spinning.
Thanks to all for your help.

It is a tach generator that is driven off the front of the engine by the gear that drives the injector pump......:thumb:

Attachments

• perkins.pdf
    433.3 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom