View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 09:31 PM   #17
Capt.Bill11
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Read the blog entry again. We had alrrady been anchored there overnight and I decided to re-anchor away from the close cat. I hadn't just arrived. In fact I had to back the boat down because there was no current. It was backing the boat down that resulted in the prop guards cutting the painter as we forgot to shorten it. The dink was bobbing about five or six freestyle strokes from my stern.

However here is the bottom line.

I was there, you were not.

You know what they say about assuming.
That all maybe. But I know you couldn't retrieve your own dink after swimming out to it. And I know you couldn't even get in it when you got to it and then had to swim over to another boat to get out.

So if you knew there was no current and the dink was so close, what was the rush? You could have stopped to get a line and/or put on a swim vest.

And if the dink was "five or six freestyle strokes from my stern." and there was no current, why didn't you just turn around and swim the 5 or 6 strokes back to your own boat once you found out you couldn't get in it?

Since someone else had to retrieve the dink, what exactly did you accomplished by racing to dive in after it?

Other than learning you need to add some kind of boarding ladder or straps to your dink. Because you apparently either aren't in good enough shape to get in it if it's in more than waste deep water or the design/layout of the dink makes it very hard to climb into in deep water.

Either way, if there wasn't someone else around, it sounds like you would have been hanging on to your dink till your boat pulled anchor and came to get you. If they even could.

The dominos started to fall. You were just lucky enough to have other people around to stop them from continuing to fall.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote