Perkins Holset Turbo's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldenstar38

Vessel Make
Goldenstar sportfisher
Kind of a general question, but did the later Range 4 Perkins use the same Holset turbo's as the earlier engines?

I came across an old Marine Perkins manual.
The H2A was used on the 220 HP engines and had 12 to 15 psi of boost.
The H1B and H2C used on the others and had 11-14 psi boost.

So, was the Range 4 rated at 220 HP or less?

we've got 1979 range 4s (in an '81 boat!) with H2Cs on them, if that helps. I'm not sure what you mean by "later Range 4 Perkins"

Thanks for the reply.
I was under the impression the Perkins Range 4 (6 cylinder) was the engine to replace the earlier T6-354's, so I wrote "later". My engines are of 1985 vintage.

I believe I myself physically damaged a turbo and am looking for a replacement. I'm not sure as of yet though, so was considering the interchangeability of the Perkins Holset turbo's.

The hp on the perkins engines varied.
The 'old" T6.354 was rated at 160 bhp.
The newer "range 4 series" or T6.3544 were rated at 165 bhp, 200 bhp, or 240 bhp.
The 1985 engine would be a range 4 series.
You can easily retrofit a more modern turbocharger. Does yours have a coolant cooled housing?
Some do, some don't.

Cool. Thank you Joe.
My engine labels say Range 4-200, so they must be rated at 200HP.
Yes, my turbo's are coolant and oil fed. So, if I can find one with these features, it sounds like it may be an easy replacement. Thank you again.

I'd also look into the Cummins aftermarket industry...many of these Holsets can be rebuilt at a significant cost savings vs. replacing with new..

Ch

Yes rebuilding a turbocharger is relatively easy if you are handy. I have rebuilt 5 turbochargers. The kit will cost around $100 and as long as the housings are in ok condition you should be ok for a rebuild either by yourself or at a rebuild shop. There are many choices. go to a big truck shop it will save $$ instead of a "marine" shop.

Question about the Cummins turbo's. They seem to use a different exhaust outlet design than the bolt-on elbow used on the Holset. How do you resolve this? My turbo outlets have a bolt on 90 degree upwards bend that has a V-band clamp to attach to the wet elbow's.
Looking at the manual for disassembly of the Holset turbo, it does not appear too difficult. Might be something to look into. Thanks for the replies.

You can find the holset diagrams on line. The exhaust may need a custom elbow.

Custom elbows can be made at a good machine /exhaust shop...be sure to take your old wet ones with your new rebuilt turbo as an example for the shop..

Ch

Just piloted my 38' Marine Trader with Perkins T6354 Range 4 240HP (I think) motors - one is good (enough) from south of Boston to Lake Champlain.

I pulled the head on the bad motor and discovered that the two motors have different turbos! One is an H1A and the other an H2B. Any ideas why? And where we can get center sections for them? We drove all the way to VT with turbine shaft on the good motor, not spinning... it is freed up now, but I haven't tested it... we'll see how long it lasts.

Most likely the mismatch is because those turbos are scarce as hen's teeth.
There used to be "United Turbo" in Spoffard, NH. You might talk to them if they are still around (been a few years).

Otherwise you could try to find some Cummins marine turbochargers. Similar size engine/hp, they will work but you may have to modify some of the plumbing.

Back
Top Bottom