Manatee cutlass bearing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaylic

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
KASSIE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen Manatee
Hi all,
The yard says cutlass bearing needs replacement. I've done this on my sailboat but just know this is beyond my DYI skills. They plan on digging a hole and dropping the rudder. Still waiting for estimate. Anyone else had this done? Cost?
Thanks much for any input.
Bob
KASSIE 3693

Are you sure the writer needs to be removed. Some boats have a hole in the rudder where the shafts can pass through. Some boats have the rudder off set a bit so the shaft can slide by

Yes, no hole, not offset

Greetings,
Mr. K. Might be cheaper to drill a hole in the rudder for future use. Close it off with a sacrificial anode. Then you won't have to fool with repacking the rudder stuffing box.
Just a thought. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so with a sharp hole saw. Have the yard do the measuring.

Oops, just had a thought...Are they dropping the rudder to get the cutlass housing off or to get the shaft out. IF just to get the housing off, forget the above comment...But still might be worth drilling the rudder for future considerations...

Man. You're gonna have to change your avatar photo. I get the chills every time I see it.

frz.gif

Last edited:
If it is in a strut there is a tool available that is made for changing the bearing without removing the rudder. Google "strut-pro." If it is in a keel tube I don't think that would work. I've used one, PM me if it might work.

IMG_0817.JPG

Sorry for double photo. Yard is going to check if shaft hole beneath zinc. Fingers crossed.
RT that was a warm day. We could still go outside. But we are done with that craziness for now on. We are committed to cruising Chesapeake to Keys and back from now on!!!

Back
Top Bottom