Swim platform length?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Semi-Retired

Veteran Member
Is there a limit to the length of a platform? Other than the fact of being a nuisance while maneuvering in tight places?

Greetings,
Mr. SR. Interesting question. A few things come to mind. One is the nuisance factor you mentioned. Another would be the added fees applied to dockage considering the added length IF the platform is not hinged to allow it to be raised.

IF fixed, it may pose a handling problem in following seas where waves may get underneath and lift the stern. Strength of support brackets and transom will also enter into the equation although IF hinged and guyed off the top of the transom the added stress and strain should be minimized to some extent.

Some think that they need a deep swim platform to get out behind their dinghy when it is flipped up- see my avatar. That makes for an extremely deep swim platform and makes me wonder how well it is supported underneath to carry that load canterlevered so far back. I wouldn't do it and just accept the dinghy limitation.

If I need to get in back of the transom, I just release the lifting tackle a foot or so to give me some room.

David

The American way! Bigger is better!

RT said nearly all. (Has anybody seen a hinged-up platform?)

Biggest I've seen is about 5'. Sooner or later, it really becomes an extension of the boat, structurally, stylistically, and hopefully functionally. Sorta' like the Mainship 350/390. And sooner or later, the marinas will notice and charge you.

Somehow, marinas don't seem to notice dinghies on davits, ordinary swim platforms and bowsprits/anchors. But you have to!

I have seen 5 foot deep swim platforms on production boats like Regal, Sea Ray, etc. I suppose these are for actual swimming, sunbathing, getting watersports gear on and off, etc. This doesn't appeal to me.

If you were having a boat built you could have a pretty much unlimited swim platform if you have the hull extended to support it. Again, this wouldn't appeal to me but it could be done.

Why do you ask?

Size and design must work together. As the size is increased, I think it becomes more important that it raise well out of the water, meaning some form of hydraulic platform. Our Sunseeker has a very large platform for storing the RIB. It is a hydraulic platform and, at it's upper level, is quite a bit out of the water. I've seen similarly sized planing boats with platforms that were in the water at many speeds creating turbulence and, if a dinghy was carried on it, water hitting the dinghy constantly.

Attachments

• 5065067_20150512151517913_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5065067_20150512151517913_1_XLARGE.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 95
I don't know how long mine is :)rolleyes:) but I added 7 inches so we could stand up straight comfortably without our holders hitting the transom (because the transom is angled).

IF fixed, it may pose a handling problem in following seas where waves may get underneath and lift the stern. Strength of support brackets and transom will also enter into the equation although IF hinged and guyed off the top of the transom the added stress and strain should be minimized to some extent.
Bingo, we have a winner here. I had a platform built when I bought the boat. It was great, and extended about 4' out beyond where the original platform ended. Here are a couple of pics of when it was being built..
img_537698_0_96a5649f9877326f2ab4ceda15645a29.jpg

img_537698_1_0ee7e38b4b07051e08c84bf0be83a5db.jpg

The platform was great and I loved the size until one day we got into some tall waves on the Columbia. The waves tore the brackets loose from the platform and cracked the platform itself. Here's a link to a video of when that happened...

We removed the old platform and I had another one built that is much shorter. It extends about 18" beyond where the factory platform stopped. It's much more solid than the old one and should do well in waves.

Up and out of the way:

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. mp. Excellent solution for an item that may not be used on a regular basis PLUS it saves that little extra $$ for slippage. Now, it seems with the proper engineering, a similar platform may be extended to whatever length one would wish.

Greetings,
Mr. mp. Excellent solution for an item that may not be used on a regular basis PLUS it saves that little extra $$ for slippage. Now, it seems with the proper engineering, a similar platform may be extended to whatever length one would wish.

I didn't order the swim platform option but the builder provided one anyway. The platform drags in the water when underway, so it's rarely lowered. It makes a great landing for the bow of a rubber dinghy.

Back
Top Bottom