Oil pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captbuddy

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1978 Prairie 29ft.
Cranked up the 4.108 this morning before heading out. I had just put about a quart of oil. The oil pressure gauge when idle will show about 40 lbs. Whoi speed up oil gauge dropped to 0 and jumping No low pressure because alarm not going off. Alarm works. After about 30 minutes gauge showing between 20 an 30. Do you think my gauge just went bad

Greetings,
Mr. captb. Could well be the sender but check all your electrical connections first. Might just as easily be something loose AND it won't cost you anything.

Senders are wear items. More likely to fail than the gauge.

Cranked up the 4.108 this morning before heading out. I had just put about a quart of oil. The oil pressure gauge when idle will show about 40 lbs. Whoi speed up oil gauge dropped to 0 and jumping No low pressure because alarm not going off. Alarm works. After about 30 minutes gauge showing between 20 an 30. Do you think my gauge just went bad

Very common way that a pressure sender fails - it has a "bad spot". I have had this exact type of failure myself. Best way to verify is to take out the sender and install a mechanical gauge.

Ken

If other electrical checking doesn't find the fault, check the ground.

Greetings,
Mr. k. Checking the ground is always a good thing but the body of the sending unit should be the ground to the block.

Another thing that happens, a piece of dirt lodges in the oil pressure valve and keeps it from closing. It's usually part of the oil pump and is there to keep any overly high pressure oil from blowing past the oil seals. The dirt usually clears itself.

Guys. Can you tell me where the sender unit is located on the 4.108. Thanks. Anyone know where I can get a sender unit in St Petersburg Fl

Just wanted to say thanks to all for your help. Put a new sender unit on today. That solved my problem. Thanks again.

Anyone know where I can get a sender unit in St Petersburg Fl

Take it with you to most any auto supply.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom