Guest Spotlight Switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seasalt007

Guru
Vessel Name
Aweigh
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
Guest wants almost $70 for this M 100 spotlight switch, which is really two switches side by side. I only need the on/off switch which has three spades connected.

Doe anyone know what I need to search for?

Attachments

• Guest.jpg
    Guest.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 113
A simple SPST switch. $5-10
3 leads? Most simple On/off switches have only 2. A "hot lead" connected when switched on, and off when that is disconnected..

Last edited:
A simple SPST switch. $5-10
3 leads? Most simple On/off switches have only 2. A "hot lead" and off..

The joy stick won't work unless the switch is on so would it be a SPDT?

The joy stick won't work unless the switch is on so would it be a SPDT?

Maybe so...You'd have to meter it and see where the power is going..

An SPDT would have 2 "ons". One up, one down from the center off position. That panel only shows an on and off

Last edited:
I have two Guest panels on my boat I don't use. I took the light off because it didn't move anymore (and a few other reasons) Let me take a picture of it and I will give it to you for free if you want it.

The switch may have three spade connectors because it mat be a lit switch...but is still SPST switch as it is only on off for a power line.

The switch may have three spade connectors because it mat be a lit switch...but is still SPST switch as it is only on off for a power line.

Three spade connectors could be for +, ground, and the light.

If it is an LED SPST switch, ebay or amazon are great options. You can buy 10 of these for under $10 bucks. http://tinyurl.com/l7yf58m

Use a real marine switch , not an auto zone .

Cole Hersey is first choice , waterproof with plated contacts.

Use a real marine switch , not an auto zone .

Cole Hersey is first choice , waterproof with plated contacts.

If the spotlight control is on a flybridge, I would agree with you. If it is at a helm station in the PH, a waterproof switch is a bit of overkill. How often does your Pilothouse helm station take on water? Probably as often as the cab of a truck.

I think we have a winner...Hot center, On at the other position with a jumper from there to the other spade which illuminates the light. Lighted SPST

Here is what it looks like from the bottom. Left is On/Off switch with three spades connected and right is joystick control.

All I can see on the On/Off switch is On/Off and a paper tag saying Made in China

Attachments

• guest1.jpg
    guest1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 187
Check with a multimeter. I would assume red is hot, black is neutral, and not sure about the gray.

First thing: Does your switch have a light or not?
If it does light on when you turn it on the grey should be the light power source as mentioned before. Usually the light power is a bridge coming from the + (red) spade but it can also be coming from the instrumentation light power source like for a gauge on your dashboard.
Just an assumption...

L.

First thing: Does your switch have a light or not?
If it does light on when you turn it on the grey should be the light power source as mentioned before. Usually the light power is a bridge coming from the + (red) spade but it can also be coming from the instrumentation light power source like for a gauge on your dashboard.
Just an assumption...

L.

I have the same controls on my boat. The led switch light up when it is flipped to the ON position. I just have never taken it out and looked at the back. So it wouldn't necessarily have a separate hot lead for the LED.

Here you are:
Rocker Switch Wiring

red the power feed, the grey the wire to your load (your light), the black the ground.

Simple SPST switch.

(Forgve my stupid post above sometimes I am typing faster than I think :blush:)

L.

Last edited:
My spotlight control-switch cost lots more when replacing the installed 12v on a 24v circuit.

Yep. SPST illuminated toggle. There is no other reason to have the black wire there for this app.

Got over to boat this morning and it has an illuminated toggle when it is turned on.

Why so many wires on the same spade?

Grounds on panels are often daisy chained. Saves money from less wire, fewer connections, less space used and time. Not always good as a problem on the final run can affect everything connected instead of just one item if all are individually connected,

I have two Guest panels on my boat I don't use. I took the light off because it didn't move anymore (and a few other reasons) Let me take a picture of it and I will give it to you for free if you want it.

Tom,

Sent you a PM.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom