In what universe is an anchor light red

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kev_rm

Vessel Name
Kismet
I have seen quite a few boats (ok, mainly sailboats) in the bahamas who apparently think they are cell phone towers? Also seen some blue... some nav lights at top of masts.. Is this a Canadian thing?

I don't recall the specifics, but if the sailboat is under a certain size they can use a tricolor masthead nav light. I don't like them as it puts the nav lights too high IMO.

Not Canadian for sure, anchor light are required to be white up here.

I don't recall the specifics, but if the sailboat is under a certain size they can use a tricolor masthead nav light. I don't like them as it puts the nav lights too high IMO.

Right, but I don't think that relieves them of the need for an anchor light, which should be 360 deg, all white.

Greetings,
The blue ones are Brit's...

giphy.gif

One night in Cayo Costa there were two power boats with flashing white lights. Not strobes, but 1/2 second on, 2 or 3 seconds off. I can't remember anything like it in the Nav Rules.

not talking about a hobie cat.. staring at a 50' mast, their 2'oclock red as red can be.

Why would you ask if it is a "Canadian thing"? Did you see it in Canada or the Bahamas? I have never heard of the like. Any anchor light I have ever seen in Canada is white 360.

not talking about a hobie cat.. staring at a 50' mast, their 2'oclock red as red can be.

Neither am I. IIRC the masthead tricolor is acceptable for sailboats up to 65'. Not exactly Hobie Cat range.

So you see a red light at the top of the mast. Are you looking at the port or starboard side of the mast? If you are looking at the 120 degree arc on the port side it could a nav light. If not, I have no idea.

If it was me, I'd be curious enough to go over and ask them. :)

The tricolor masthead nav light is only to be used at sea, not inland waters. And, it's the usual three colors with an additional white anchor light on a separate circuit. I've seen the white masthead strobes on the Bay, can't imagine why.

Given the original teensy bow nav lights on the '72 Morgan 27, I added a tricolor thinking I'd prefer being seen to breaking the rules.

Some folks do, indeed, seem to occupy alternate universes. Sorta' like alternative facts.

I would think by "their 2 o'clock" he's seeing their starbord side, which makes the boat size irrelevant.....it should be green if they're moving...white if they're not...never red.

Navigation-lights-1.jpg

Benthic2: Great reply. The mast head light was introduced by the French as they felt that their waters, the Bay of Biscay, had such high waves that a boat in the trough could not be seen. It is a pain in the "ass" to the rest of us for sure. As for anchor light the international rule calls for a "white light" showing 360 degrees. But both the rule really means that you must show a light which indicates that you are a boat at anchor, hence the use of numerous garden LED lights attached to rails.

There are a few reasons why a boat would have an all-round red light. If it's a fishing vessel it would normally display all-round red over white. If it's engaged in diving it would be all-round red over white over red. Not sure if this applies to the boat you are looking at?

Richard

IMO (International maritime organisation)

To my knowledge, all the preliminary rules vessel are involved in international and pleasure boats. the lighting uniform in every corner of the world. fold be the only thing in the world for a consensus?

The new LED anchor lights if they are cold and white, look like a star from a distance at night, at close range only to see the boat, you should choose a warm tone LED anchor light.

Last edited:
It could be Red over Red lights being used if run aground or being towed

There are a few reasons why a boat would have an all-round red light. If it's a fishing vessel it would normally display all-round red over white. If it's engaged in diving it would be all-round red over white over red. Not sure if this applies to the boat you are looking at?

Richard

and pilot boat normally display all-round whithe over red. :thumb:

and pilot boat normally display all-round whithe over red. :thumb:
Indeed - I figured it wasn't likely he was looking at a pilot boat. But who knows?

I found this under Rule 25

(c) A sailing vessel underway may, in addition to the lights prescribed in Rule 25(a), exhibit at or near the top of the mast, where they can best be seen, two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower green, but these lights shall not be exhibited in conjunction with the combined lantern permitted by Rule 25(b).

nr_Rule25c.gif

Maybe that's what he's looking at?

Richard

LaBomba, he's a Bayliner driver...8^)

On a USN destroyer in the 60s we had a pair of red lights that were on in port or at anchor for airplane clearance lights. Also the standard anchor lights. I don't know if they still show those lights.

I don't think these are navigation lights at all.

This year we have seen all kinds of lights in the rigging of sailboats in addition to their anchor light. Some were like Christmas lights turning various colors with numerous tiny lights in a pattern.

The only other explanation to me might be if wired through a controller, some leds will change color with different voltages....some either mistake here or who knows what?

Tricolor? Possibly one but was the light the same codor from different angles?

The main reason a sail vessel uses the tricolor is it only uses one bulb instead of 2 or 3 to be legal. Pre LED this was important

Off shore sailing I prefer a white all around like an anchor light.

This is visible far further than the colored lights so gives better warning to the other vessels.

Off the shelf traffic is mostly commercial.

At 20+ K the ESSO MARU would consider you a stationary target , and the bright white light could help them locate you from the sea state.

They probable left their spreader lights on for security. Blue lights ? maybe they got a deal on led's !!

Last edited:
Just be glad they used lights at all.

Yes!

I was anchored once for a fireworks show. We had our anchor light on of course. Three boats rafted a few hundred yards away did not. After the show, I watched the coast guard boats, the DNR boat and the police boat cruise right past them on their way back to their home bases. No LEO boats stopped or even called to them to turn their anchor lights on.

As for COLREGS, laws or whatever, many folks believe they know better so they ignore these regulations and come up with their own solutions. If there's no enforcement, it's not really illegal.

I have seen quite a few boats (ok, mainly sailboats) in the bahamas who apparently think they are cell phone towers? Also seen some blue... some nav lights at top of masts.. Is this a Canadian thing?

This isn't a Canadian thing, it's a status thing. It's an aircraft avoidance light, has nothing to do with Colregs, and everything to do with being the most impressive vessel in the anchorage. So impressive, in fact that it merits aircraft avoidance lighting. Besides, you never know when your charter seaplane will approach to drop off the kids and fresh baguettes.

They're not for the little people. You can only aspire to such lofty ambitions.

Why would you ask if it is a "Canadian thing"? Did you see it in Canada or the Bahamas? I have never heard of the like. Any anchor light I have ever seen in Canada is white 360.

Because 75% (or more) of the boaters here are Canadian.

Just be glad they used lights at all.

This is true... I only noticed because it was the only boat besides myself in the anchorage with a light on ;)

Actually kind of crazy, even the unprotected anchorages what percentage of boats don't turn theirs on.

This isn't a Canadian thing, it's a status thing. It's an aircraft avoidance light, has nothing to do with Colregs, and everything to do with being the most impressive vessel in the anchorage. So impressive, in fact that it merits aircraft avoidance lighting.

Someone finally got it right...

There are many places where there are airports in close proximity to anchorages... really big sailboats also use a all around red as that is what pilots look for.. not white lights that tend to get lost in the background lighting when viewed from above

HOLLYWOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom