Where to go for the 4th??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Besslb

Guru
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 42'
We are taking a week during the 4th and trying to decide where to go.* One option is Ocracoke.* Another is Bath and Belhaven.* Third is Beaufort/Cape Lookout.*Fourth is all anchorages if we can get Tivo to pee on the boat.

I'm torn.* Any thoughts?

Besslb wrote:
We are taking a week during the 4th and trying to decide where to go.* One option is Ocracoke.* Another is Bath and Belhaven.* Third is Beaufort/Cape Lookout.*Fourth is all anchorages if we can get Tivo to pee on the boat.

I'm torn.* Any thoughts?
*Wherever you go, get there early.* Cape Lookout on holidays is usualy covered up with boats.* The day boats go back.* Then it thins out somewhat.* It will all depend on weather getting to Cape Lookout or Ocracoke.* Even getting around Maw Point can be tough in a northeaster.* The Pamlico River*will be full of small boats running around.* I think I'm going to the mountains for that week.

Bess, I guess that I don't find holidays a good time to be on the water.* Luckily we get to pick out times.* Wherever you go, I hope you have a great time.

Hey Don!* We agree!* We're not leaving till the 5th!* July 4th in NewBern is awesome.* No reason to go anywhere.* But we've got the week...so we were thinking of leaving Tuesday.*

Tom said I left off option 5....to stay in New Bern and work on the boat.* :)

Bess, if the weather is good, you can't beat Cape Lookout.* It's easy to get there, and just an awesom anchorage.* I don't know how the channel is through Barden Inlet and back by Harkers Island.* It used to be unreliable at best.* I have sat on the bottom between the reds and greens.* Beaufort is always a good stop.* Just some swift currents running through the marina.

You don't have any bad choices.* So have a blast.* You will have to create your own entertainment.* Tom will be busy watching us guys.
smile.gif

I'll throw my $0.02 into the hat... As skipper ya' know... :-D

I like Beaufort a lot. But the marinas rude dockhands and high price you pay for piss-poor facilities has soured the milk for me there. They want super-yachts there. That's what it seems to me anyway. We'll go there for Pirate Invasion weekend, but that's about it. What we do now is go stay with Mike at Morehead City Yacht Basin. We love it there... Anyway, I'm getting off the subject. Lookout is for sure a good idea. We have only been there once and didn't stay but for a couple of hours. While I really want to go back, there IS a certain bit of "been-there-done-that" to a Lookout trip. It can serve two masters because I am going to start a thread about getting up the nerve to go "outside" in our boat. Something that still terrifies us both.

Ocrakoke gives us a little bit of that too, but only thru the Pamlico Sound. We've never been out of sight of land and the sound might be a good place to start. However, Ocrakoke would be TOTALLY new. Something that we have never seen and always wanted to. It's one of the reasons we returned to the Neuse. But there be skinny water out there and I was hoping to be able to follow someone else there for our first trip (not out of the question yet... we may find someone headed that way)

The same holds true for Bath/Bellhaven. Something we haven't seen and want to. But I think that this option might be best in the early fall. Don't ask me why. No new skills gained by going here, but I am really falling in love with the ICW and look forward to someday doing the "Carolina Loop".

I dunno... Our anchoring out skills need work. That leans me toward Lookout, but Ocrakoke just seems like "what you do" from the Neuse.

I just felt like I was talking to a therapist.

Tom-

Tom, the Pamlico can be just as dangerous if not more so than the Atlantic.* With its shallow waters it can quickly build up a short steep chop that is very uncomfortable.* The ocean will usually give more time between waves and can be more comfortable while still being rough.

If you are going into Silver Lake at Ocarcoke, get some current local knowledge.* There has been some dredging done there, but I can remember that being a treacherous channel to get into.* Luckily, it is not a great distance from you, so you should be able to judge the weather.* It is a lovely little village.* However, Cape Lookout holds special memories for me as when our sons were young we would anchor overnight there.* Morehead City Yacht Basin holds special memories also.* We had a slip there for 5 years and my sons loved it.

The state dock at bath is free but no hookups.* We were there in '07.* Quaint, historical town.* Good pizza.* Plenty of room to anchor if you can't get on the dock.* Downtown Washington is inexpensive and close to restaurants.* Both should be fairly easy stops for you.

Here is a picture of Moonstruck at the state dock in Bath.

Attachments

• img_1381.jpg
    img_1381.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 93
Welcome to North Carolina David!!* Where are you keeping the Cape Dory?*

If you are new to the area, and want to*something fun to do for*the 4th, come up to New Bern and anchor right there off Union Point Park...out of the channel obviously.* But make sure to plan to stay over night.* The skiffs and run abouts look like fireflies buzzing out of there after the fireworks!* The town brings the firework barge out and you get the best view of fireworks ever right on the water.* What a great time we had last year.

OR...get a transient slip at the NB Grand and come say hi!* We're staying put and leaving later in the week.

David, you couldn't have picked a nicer place.* We love Oriental!*

Enjoy your holiday!

GonzoF1 wrote:*But there be skinny water out there and I was hoping to be able to follow someone else there for our first trip (not out of the question yet... we may find someone headed that way)

Tom-
*Tom,

I think we are going that way late September or early October.* Big Foot is the only safe way in.* They keep it open for the ferry system.* The skinny water is usually right there between 10 Red and*at Green 11.* It shoals to the channelside so look for a Green can 11A or something like that and keep it on your starboard as you go in toward Silver Lake.* Read the dept finder and stay in the 12-15 foot range if it starts to go toward nine or six, stop and hunt toward the Red 10 from the Green 11 very slowly.* It will*get deep to 15 rather quick.

If there is a ferry close and you can read the name call them by name.* They will answer if called by name.* No one knows the channel any better than the ferry Capt's..* Ask them where they want you to be and they will tell you or just say maintain your present speed and we will stay behind you.*That works great because they won't let you make any mistakes. *Nine Foot Slough can get you in trouble and I would stay away from it.

See you this weekend.* If you want to go over the chart out there let me know.

-- Edited by JD on Monday 27th of June 2011 01:11:28 PM

Let's see ...

July 1, Friday: install cup holders in pilothouse and spend the day relaxing on boat in marina.

July 2, Saturday: take Perla's relatives*on the boat*to Carquinez Strait and return.

July 4, Monday:*sail boat*to Suisun City to anchor and observe fireworks.

July 5, Tuesday: return to Vallejo.

July 6, Wednesday: take fellow Lindsay Wildlife Museum volunteers on a boat ride,*if they can "get themselves together" to come.

July 7,*Thursday:*take boat to Keefe Kaplan Marine in*Richmond to replace engine sensors, etc.*

July 12, Tuesday (?): return boat to Vallejo.

Later in July: 3-4 day trip to Delta, hopefully "touching base" with Pineapple Girl and any other willing TrawlerForum member.

Wait... CUP HOLDERS?!?!?!?

cup holders???? Real trawler men drink their whiskey straight from the bottle!!

If I can get dockage in downtown Sunday night, we will be tying off on the Chattanooga waterfront for their fireworks Sunday and then head up stream a bit to the town of Soddy Daisy to catch their fireworks on the water Monday night. :)

Woodsong wrote:
cup holders???? Real trawler men drink their whiskey straight from the bottle!!

If I can get dockage in downtown Sunday night, we will be tying off on the Chattanooga waterfront for their fireworks Sunday and then head up stream a bit to the town of Soddy Daisy to catch their fireworks on the water Monday night. :)
*Tony, sorry we will pobably miss you at the waterfront.* We*plan to*be over in the mountains.*The damage to the cabin*from the storms is supposed to be repaired, and we need to check it before*paying the final fill.* I will miss the big fireworks show, but it should be cool above 3000'.**

Tom and Bess where did you decide to go?

Hope everyone has a grand time celebrating the birth of our nation!**

Geez, cup holders are a basic requirement on my boats!!* We have yet to figure out how to put some in the RIB.*

Tom what did you decide?* I am envious of your choices!!*

I'll have to let Bess reply to that... (don't ask... it's a long story)

Okay,* The Duke has FOUR cup holders within reach of the throne...so don't let him give anyone any crap about a secure place to hold one's beverages.

The actual 4th of July will most likely be in New Bern proper...either in our marina or anchored in the river.* My hopes for this week is a stop in Oriental, a stop at our former Marina, Northwest Creek, a visit to Mike at the Yacht Basin, and 2 or 3 days at anchor in the bight at Cape Lookout.* I'd like to teach Tivo to pee on the boat early this weekend so anchoring overnights*will be much easier.* He's a smart dog...I think it will work.* (right next to the anchor washdown on the bow...that's where)

BUT....weather will dictate what we actually do.* There are forest fires on our coast blowing smoke northerly, so the Cape could be smoked in.* If we can get Tivo to do his thing on-board,* I'm up for a couple days at anchor in South River.* That is why we came back to the Neuse.* :)

Besslb wrote:
Okay,* The Duke has FOUR cup holders within reach of the throne...so don't let him give anyone any crap about a secure place to hold one's beverages.

The actual 4th of July will most likely be in New Bern proper...either in our marina or anchored in the river.* My hopes for this week is a stop in Oriental, a stop at our former Marina, Northwest Creek, a visit to Mike at the Yacht Basin, and 2 or 3 days at anchor in the bight at Cape Lookout.* I'd like to teach Tivo to pee on the boat early this weekend so anchoring overnights*will be much easier.* He's a smart dog...I think it will work.* (right next to the anchor washdown on the bow...that's where)

BUT....weather will dictate what we actually do.* There are forest fires on our coast blowing smoke northerly, so the Cape could be smoked in.* If we can get Tivo to do his thing on-board,* I'm up for a couple days at anchor in South River.* That is why we came back to the Neuse.* :)

Bess,*

Cape Lookout!* Good choice.* Can't say that I am not a little envious.* It is one of my favorite spots, and the fishing around there is great too.

As I remember South River and Rattan Bay, if the wind is out of the West to northwest you can take a beating in there.* Luckily you have choices on the other side of the Neuse.* With a Northeaster opposing the tide the Neuse*can get absolutely nasty.

Take pictures at Cape Lookout please.* I would really like to see it again.

I will take TONS of pictures, I promise!!** I'm sure a new blog entry is in the making too!!* :)

Beachwood Fireworks on the Toms River,** 5 minutes from our slip and a great show with tons of fellow boaters!

John and Miri.

Looks like the weather is going to turn on us. Front going to settle over NC and will probably wash out the Lookout trip. Damn!

How does one "washout" a boat trip? Too much water?

Larry H has taken up residence in Ketchikan and is not entirely happy w our weather.

Here we were a week ago and we go out tomorrow to K town.

From the rain forest.

Attachments

• sth71723.jpg
    sth71723.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 64
nomadwilly wrote:
How does one "washout" a boat trip? Too much water?

Larry H has taken up residence in Ketchikan and is not entirely happy w our weather.

Here we were a week ago and we go out tomorrow to K town.

From the rain forest.
*Eric, Cape lookout is about a six mile offshore*along Shackleford Banks.* It can be a very rough section of water.* It is the South end of the NC Outerbanks.* It is protected inside the "hook", but you must get back.* It is very easy to get weathered in there for a few days.* It is a beautiful, unique place; but you need a good weather window if going out there for a few days.

Beaufort Inlet is the inlet used.* It is deep and well marked, but can play havoc on a boat at displacemet speeds.* When I was using it frequently, I had a planing hull that I could keep on the back of a wave.* I wouldn't recommend that Tom and Bess take their trawler out there in any weather until they have had more offshore experience.

I have 4 cracked teeth (one capped) from fishing around Cape Lookout.* Old and slow sometimes beats young and bold.

The offshore experience thing is a burning question I have been waiting to start a new thread about (and will soon).

The good thing about Beaufort Inlet is that all you need is favorable wind and you're good. Maybe not so much for the rest of the trip to Lookout, but the inlet is not that bad if you match wind and tide. HOWEVER... me is NOOOOooooo expert.

Anyway, we are doing projects. Bess did teak work while I did electrical stuff. So while we aren't out on the water, we are STILL having moderate amounts of boating fun........ sorta.

When you have time this week mine needs a little wax.

And....the smoke is so thick from the forest fires on the coast, it would be difficult to see storms popping up on us.* Just not super weather for a long cruise.* BUT it is great weather for re-cetal-ing the rub rail.**

Today....we are boating! Just a quick trip to oriental or morehead city, but no projects today!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom