Impeller change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Concerning pieces of rubber, I often wondered why no one has come up with a faulty large opening screen (perhaps 1/4 inch) totrap the pieces before the heat exchanger.

Doing it at the dock is easy. Doing it in a crisis on the water isn't. Plus, it's nice being able to stop for a beer break when doing it at the dock.

Ted

Your smarter than you look. LOL. Great advice as usual.

Something we have in common. :rolleyes:

Concerning pieces of rubber, I often wondered why no one has come up with a faulty large opening screen (perhaps 1/4 inch) totrap the pieces before the heat exchanger.

I always assumed the heat exchanger had 1/4" ID tubes to act as a strainer. :rolleyes:

Ted

Bigfish....I am worried because Ted looks way smarter than me. :D

I have seen a suggestion where a union type joint with a screen in it....Either homemade or common with boiler systems between your pump and heat exchanger simplifies an Impeller coming apart.

Guess I have been lucky all these miles and years....haven't had an issue yet.

Last edited:
I considered the Speedseal kit, but didn't pull the trigger for some reason. Any bad experiences with Speedseal?

I have the Speedseals on my engines. I think they're good and they certainly do make R & R easier and quicker.

Ken

I ordered the kit. That will make me change my impeller. Lol.

I've been tempted by the Speedseal kits as well. It certainly seems like it would help to reduce the number of bolts/washers/tools dropped into the bilge.

We just received our new Speed Seal kits and will be installing them and making a video. I've always wondered about them, and it wasn't until I broke a couple of those little screw heads off trying to remove the cover that I finally decided to "upgrade".

Scott

Most look smarter than you and all look smarter than me. LOL

Ted you are of course correct but that requires you remove the end cap of the heat exchanger. I'm looking for something more simple. What Scott has seen might be the ticket.

We just received our new Speed Seal kits and will be installing them and making a video. I've always wondered about them, and it wasn't until I broke a couple of those little screw heads off trying to remove the cover that I finally decided to "upgrade".

I look forward to seeing the video. The Speedseal kits got rave reviews by Catalina 400 owners with the older Westerbeek engine. The pump was almost impossible to reach and it couldn't be seen. The kits were great them them. On my Catalina, the pump was right in front and easy to reach. On my current Cummins it is also easy to access so no need.

Scott

Most look smarter than you and all look smarter than me. LOL

Ted you are of course correct but that requires you remove the end cap of the heat exchanger. I'm looking for something more simple. What Scott has seen might be the ticket.

Part of the reason I change the impeller is because I still have a Cummins in my charter boat. When the impeller looses a blade, it goes into the transmission cooler. No end cap to remove on the transmission cooler. Like picking cotton out of an aspirin bottle, standing on your head, with the lights out. :banghead:

Ted

Ted

I had a pair of Cats that loved eating impeller blades, they ended up some place in the heat exchanger and only when it would overheat could I find them by pulling the heat exchanger. The Cummins seem to all collect at the end cap so it's easy to get to them.

I considered the Speedseal kit, but didn't pull the trigger for some reason. Any bad experiences with Speedseal?

Nope...it's a pretty slick set up. I would have preferred the newer one with the plastic disk inside, but it wouldn't fit my engine.

Ted

I had a pair of Cats that loved eating impeller blades, they ended up some place in the heat exchanger and only when it would overheat could I find them by pulling the heat exchanger. The Cummins seem to all collect at the end cap so it's easy to get to them.

I am thinking the first stop on a Cummins is the aftercooler??....then the trans cooler....THEN the heat exchanger. At least that is how it is on my Classic B series.

I have the SMX pumps on my boat. So I change every 2 years. It is NOT a fun job on either engine. It is easier to pull the pump and do it rather than jack around down there with those little screws. And guess what??? I carry an entire spare pump assembly with a new impeller in it. Suck on that Ted!!!!:flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Last edited:
I am thinking the first stop on a Cummins is the aftercooler??....then the trans cooler....THEN the heat exchanger. At least that is how it is on my Classic B series.

I have the SMX pumps on my boat. So I change every 2 years. It is NOT a fun job on either engine. It is easier to pull the pump and do it rather than jack around down there with those little screws. And guess what??? I carry an entire spare pump assembly with a new impeller in it. Suck on that Ted!!!!:flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

I changed just my Cummins SMX pumps and their impeler. I think smx impeller is considerably more flexible / softer rubber than Sherwood. do you have the experience to compare smx impeler vs Sherwood impeler resistance?

If you are changing the Yanmar impeller, make sure you get the "newer" style that have the threaded core. I went to buy a set to do my annual change and the dealer wanted to sell me the old style. I asked if he had the new part and he said yes. The threaded impellers are much easier to remove and install.

I have also bought new impellers that had cracked vanes, so now I inspect them when I buy them.

I changed just my Cummins SMX pumps and their impeler. I think smx impeller is considerably more flexible / softer rubber than Sherwood. do you have the experience to compare smx impeler vs Sherwood impeler resistance?

No I do not. But Seaboard does claim their impellers for their pumps are superior to the Sherwood type replacement. No clue other than that. But like you say, they are different.

If you are changing the Yanmar impeller, make sure you get the "newer" style that have the threaded core. I went to buy a set to do my annual change and the dealer wanted to sell me the old style. I asked if he had the new part and he said yes. The threaded impellers are much easier to remove and install.

I have also bought new impellers that had cracked vanes, so now I inspect them when I buy them.

Yes!! I have the little threaded puller and it requires the threaded impeller. Makes it soooo much easier, but still not easy. [emoji23]

Baker (my rum drinking buddy)

Your probably correct, I'm going from memory and then at went years ago. :)

I have both a new pump and spare impellerS.

My 6CT300 Cummins doesn't have an aftercooler.

But you do have more engines to service than I do. So I guess you win. :rolleyes:

Ted

Ted

If I only had one engine I would carry lots of spares but having two I can get by with fewer spares. Further, if my engineroom looked like yours I would never start my engine. LOL

I have both a new pump and spare impellerS.

My 6CT300 Cummins doesn't have an aftercooler.

But you do have more engines to service than I do. So I guess you win. :rolleyes:

Ted

Well damn....I have no clue of the different iterations of the C series Cummins. That is very interesting they have a non aftercooled version at 300hp. Probably a wonderful Trawler engine. I was just on a Selene 57 today with a derated QSM11 at 450hp....probably a similar proportional deal!!!

Ted

If I only had one engine I would carry lots of spares but having two I can get by with fewer spares. Further, if my engineroom looked like yours I would never start my engine. LOL

:D:D:D but if one dies, so you only have one diesel!:eek:

Now set to acquire spare parts immediately. How often do your second machine is not working?:ermm:

Previous boat twins both of which always work perfectly. The secret, preventive maintenance and inspections as well as follow the manufacturer's instructions. This worked for me for 13 years, until I found my tug, last autumn. I believe the same recipe single engine.:smitten:

Well damn....I have no clue of the different iterations of the C series Cummins. That is very interesting they have a non aftercooled version at 300hp. Probably a wonderful Trawler engine. I was just on a Selene 57 today with a derated QSM11 at 450hp....probably a similar proportional deal!!!

The 6CT 300 was I believe the 1st turbo "C".
There is also a 6CTA 400, 6CTA 430-450.

My trawler originally had the 6CTA 450. During the refit I swapped it for a John Deere 4045TFM75 135HP. IMO, the best trawler engine. ;)

Ted

Hi Ted

I've been considering John Deere for a new boat. Do you have any problems find parts?

The raw water pump on my Hino's has to be removed to get the impeller out of the pump housing. A engine mount sets behind the pump and there's not enough clearance between the two to remove the impeller. I bought a spare pump a few years ago to simplify changing, this allows for one time crawling in to replace. I run impellers about 500 hours to change out, 3 to 4 years. The impeller on my Westerbeke gen has to be changed each spring before startup. I think the difference in time between the two is the diameter of each impeller, the Hino impeller is the size of a coffee mug and the Westerbeke is about the size of a quarter.

Hi Ted

I've been considering John Deere for a new boat. Do you have any problems find parts?

Yes, but then I remember where I stored them. :facepalm:

No problem finding parts. Lots of sources besides the marine dealers. The marine market is a very small portion of what they build the motors for. There's a big market for most of the consumables like oil filters and they use standard marine parts like raw water pumps.

Ted

Hi Ted

Yes, but then I remember where I stored them. :facepalm:

No problem finding parts. Lots of sources besides the marine dealers. The marine market is a very small portion of what they build the motors for. There's a big market for most of the consumables like oil filters and they use standard marine parts like raw water pumps.

Ted

Likewise no problems finding parts & spares for my 1996 6068T. I bought and installed a new raw water pump last year. Very easy replacement.

Richard

Likewise no problems finding parts & spares for my 1996 6068T. I bought and installed a new raw water pump last year. Very easy replacement.

Richard

Richard where are you these days in that cool boat of yours?

Thanks guys, having not been very familiar with John Deere in the marine world I was having some doubts about availability.

Richard where are you these days in that cool boat of yours?
I just made a run out to the Farallon Islands this past weekend. Taking out fresh scientists and supplies and bringing back tired scientists and compost! I staged the boat in Sausalito for the run - I"m based out of Redwood City. How about you?

Richard

Back
Top Bottom