Replacing finger hole cabinet pulls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GarryP

Vessel Name
Mango Mama
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36
Our cabinets have finger holes with a catch inside that you reach through to unlatch. These seem like an inveitable risk of broken fingers. Pulling the door open often leads to an awkward bind and sore fingers.*

px147148a.jpg

Does anyone know of a cabinet pull that is designed to work with these so you don't have to risk your finger to open a cabinet?

Just takes practice and a few sore fingers! Nothing I know of short of completely replacing with something else. My last boat had some push-n-click latches. When they were flush with the door, they were locked. Pushing them in caused them to unlatch and became a handle to open the door with. I liked them a lot. They were on a Cruisers 3950 if that helps at all.

Had the same problem, plus ours were just pressure catches inside that released when you pulled. We got very tired of doors opening in rough seas and spilling the contents. Replaced ours with what Keith talks about. I left the teak pulls in place, just sanding out the center hole a little so the brass knobs would operate and install them through the teak pull ([url]http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/2132-push-button-rim-latch)[/url]. On some cabinets the plastic housing was overhanging the door frame and needed a minor sanding modification for the door to close properly. They work and look great.

Attachments

• door pulls.jpg
    door pulls.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 155
The RV folks use a very simple push to open latch , and the same source sells push buttons that have a locking serup inside.

Very nice RFS m Ready for sea is simply a glance to see all the push buttons are flush = locked.

Our source, www.hafele.com/us/ -

Garry & Victoria: I've wrenched my finger many times in those darned things, and now I try to stabilize myself first whenever opening them. Still, one takes a chance when trying to open from the wrong angle, wrong hand, etc.. Endeavour Catamarans, right over by you in Clearwater, uses the round push button locks that look like they will fit in the same holes. I've thought about doing them, but they're a long way from being on my priority list. Meanwhile, I wrench my fingers. They're a friendly bunch over at Endeavour, and probably have some in stock for you to check out. It's a good excuse to look at one of their powercats anyway. They've all got 'em.

At about $12 per set with over 30 sets, I'm thinking of alternatives.

A finger set in the ER is cheaper?

The links provided are for the manufacturer data sheets. You'll have to select the model numbers for the knob, rosette, and lock mechanism for your application. Do a search for those model numbers with the Hafele name to find a supplier.

Note that this may not be a straightforward installation. The push-pull device depends on a specific setback distance from the edge of the cabinet door to mate with the catch. If you're trying to use the existing hole, you may need to add a block to the frame to mount the catch on so it works correctly.

I have a design in mind for a homemade solution using the existing holes and catches*that might work. I plan to scope it out this weekend to see if it will work acceptably. I'll report back.

FF - I said I was considering alternatives, not that I was accepting the situation with the finger holes. Besides, it's not appropriate to compare the cost of the alteration (~$360) to the cost of setting a broken finger. It's more appropriate to compare the cost to the RISK of a broken finger or the aggravation of a sore unbroken finger. That risk will vary according to each person and how they use the boat and it's for each person to make that judgment (if they even think about it). The finger holes have been used on thousands of boats and most people deal with them somehow.

From your statement, you definitely consider the risk too great, but your values don't necessarily apply to anyone else. Do you use the push-pull locks on your boat? Did you convert from finger holes or was it the original installation? If you converted, how much trouble was it?

"Do you use the push-pull locks on your boat? Did you convert from finger holes or was it the original installation? If you converted, how much trouble was it?"

Of course , boat and motor home.

The ability to scan the interior for RFS is worth the effort.

Both were done from scratch , I built the interior in both , using quality drawer glides , so had to be assured the interior is locked tight.

The conversion on older boats is easy , as noted simply a matter of measuring the push knob depth required , which is the thickness of the drawer face.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom