Island hopping the Bahamas April 20th-May22nd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gun45boat

Vessel Name
The Path
Vessel Make
Northwestern 45
Anyone interested in joining the trip? Leaving Jacksonville, FL pushing south to WPB then due East. Leaving April 20th-May 22nd

Just posting up if anyone is up for it.

WE will be in a Northwest 45 Trawler

Age F-35 and M-38 years old
Anchoring as many nights as possible,, very active..

Cheers,

Michael

We will be leaving Palm Coast 2nd week in May. (weather permitting) Heading south to Lake Worth and crossing over from there. Nassau for 2 weeks, then who knows?

Let's try to catch up. We will be headed back towards GBI around that time, then headed back across to FL I'll try to touch base before we depart.

Regards

Michael

We will be leaving Palm Coast 2nd week in May. (weather permitting) Heading south to Lake Worth and crossing over from there. Nassau for 2 weeks, then who knows?

Wifey B: YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance::dance::dance:

So happy for you getting out on a trip, a vacation, and hope you have a wonderful time.

Nassau for two weeks?

Have you ever been there before?

I'm so jealous...my favorite place on this entire planet, is an island in the Abacos..... I haven't been there for 20 years...but, like Arnold and MacArther, I will be back !!

Let's try to catch up. We will be headed back towards GBI around that time, then headed back across to FL I'll try to touch base before we depart.

Regards

Michael

Sounds great!

Wifey B: YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance::dance::dance:

So happy for you getting out on a trip, a vacation, and hope you have a wonderful time.

Half boat maintenance, half vacation!

Nassau for two weeks?

Have you ever been there before?

Only time I ever stayed in Nassau for two weeks was due to a leaking fuel tank.

My schedule in Nassau.
Pull into Nassau Yacht Haven. Buy forgotten necessities at double the price the next day in the nearby mall. Eat lunch at the fish fry under the bridge. Get up next morning, wait until the fuel dock next door is open, fuel up and leave.

I'm the same way. We don't like marinas unless we need repairs or supplies. We choose to be away, anchored behind little islands with beaches to ourselves. :).

Places I try to avoid in the Bahamas: Nassau and Freeport. I love the out islands.

With that said. Can I ask any of the "old salts;) " how they would do the Bahamas for a month if their main focus was getting away from it all? Coming across from WPB,fl. boat is fast when you want her to be @ 13knots Boat draws 4.5'

Thanks in advance for any info and recommendations of routes

Wifey B: I expected to see the alarms at Nassau, but I see no problem in enjoying two weeks there. You're a kid like me and know how. It's possible to enjoy two weeks in Atlantis alone as well. Nassau has a lot to offer. No, it's not the escape to nowhere but then that feels good right after Nassau. Nassau will be the start of a great trip. :dance:

With that said. Can I ask any of the "old salts;) " how they would do the Bahamas for a month if their main focus was getting away from it all? Coming across from WPB,fl. boat is fast when you want her to be @ 13knots Boat draws 4.5'

Thanks in advance for any info and recommendations of routes

The non Yachty parts of the Exumas or if you really want to be alone, the Ragged Islands.

I live in Miami so I look at Nassau as a poorer Liberty City, expensive and lots of crime. I much prefer the out islands. To me there are two areas: the Abacos and the Exumas with the latter being more remote with fewer marinas and docks. I go to the Bahamas to get away from the hustle and bustle or every day life. I like no radios, no sirens, no BS. Peace and quiet. I usually anchor our and just go to a Marina for fuel.

I've been to most all of the Bahamas and Eleuthera would be fine if you traveled in summer so you could anchor on the west side to avoid the prevailing winds.

To each his own. WifeyB I usually agree with you 100% but we will just have to disagree on this. Perhaps it's because your a kid and I'm an old fart. LOL

I live in Miami so I look at Nassau as a poorer Liberty City, expensive and lots of crime. I much prefer the out islands. To me there are two areas: the Abacos and the Exumas with the latter being more remote with fewer marinas and docks. I go to the Bahamas to get away from the hustle and bustle or every day life. I like no radios, no sirens, no BS. Peace and quiet. I usually anchor our and just go to a Marina for fuel.

I've been to most all of the Bahamas and Eleuthera would be fine if you traveled in summer so you could anchor on the west side to avoid the prevailing winds.

To each his own. WifeyB I usually agree with you 100% but we will just have to disagree on this. Perhaps it's because your a kid and I'm an old fart. LOL

I've ridden fronts out in Rock Sound and Spanish Wells before. But, you're right. I would want to e caught in between with an ironshore lee.

Wifey B: I didn't call you that though. I like all the Bahamas, all different. We even like the Berry Islands. Maybe Abacos best but I don't know. It changes depending on our latest. Still I can enjoy myself in Nassau or on Paradise Island. Also, we go to Bimini which in some ways is more like Miami, but we can go over there Saturday morning and be there by 10 and then return home Sunday afternoon, leaving around 3 or so. Great one or two day trip. :)

Right now on an all day car ride home from Myrtle Beach.

WifeyB

I called myself that after you called yourself a kid. LOL

I enjoy the Berrys too, been going there for over 60 years, especially Little Harbor, I've watched the entire Lightbourne family grow up for three generations. . Don't care much for Chub except to clear and get fuel. The Berries don't have as many anchorages as the Exumas.

WifeyB

I called myself that after you called yourself a kid. LOL

I enjoy the Berrys too, been going there for over 60 years, especially Little Harbor, I've watched the entire Lightbourne family grow up for three generations. . Don't care much for Chub except to clear and get fuel. The Berries don't have as many anchorages as the Exumas.

Wifey B: And I called Donna a kid too. :) We like to island hop, just go from one unoccupied island to another. Anchor off, jump in the Rib, and go play around it. We still need more time exploring as we just get a tiny bit each trip over. We tentatively plan to go over next week for 18 days. Looks like improving conditions coming. Oh, excitement, not. We just pulled into Wendy's. Now, my turn to drive from here. :)

Yes and Yes!

Interesting.

And I don't mind Nassau either. Like a lot of places you have to be careful. But I've never had a bad experience there and have some good friends there now as well.

Last edited:
Just for my edification but why would anyone want to use bottom pair that would hard the environment?

Just for my edification but why would anyone want to use bottom pair that would hard the environment?

The tin stuff is gluten free, so all good.

I am unfortunately heading the other direction around that time... Been over in the abacos for a few weeks now... planning return trip thusly...maybe june.

Which is harder on the environment? A paint that lasts 2 or 3 times as long and requires less in water scrubbing?

Or one that has to be pressure washed, sanded, replaced and requires in water scrubbing more often?

I'm not sure either. :D

Which is harder on the environment? A paint that lasts 2 or 3 times as long and requires less in water scrubbing?

Or one that has to be pressure washed, sanded, replaced and requires in water scrubbing more often?

I'm not sure either. :D

Silicone may be the best of all options, but hasn't hit the average recreational market in the US very much.

Back
Top Bottom