eBay three strand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have contemplated just making up cheap loops for cleats (boat and dock) then using normal dock lines between so they don't get worn on fittings.

Interesting idea. Have you considered how you would connect the loops to the lines?

For that matter, I was thinking of using chain around the dock cleats, but I have some dyneema line that I use for making soft shackles. I could easily make up some soft shackles out of dyneema and use the shackle to attached a spliced eye on the nylon to the dock cleat. The same could be done on the boat side.

The quick among you will note that I am talking about using a very expensive line to attach a very cheap line. Maybe the cost of just using a Sampson three-strand would be the same? Ah my friends.... remember whom you are addressing. Why do something simply when you can do it in a much more convoluted way?

Loop to loop or just straight line from cleat through a loop or shackle back to a cleat so it is more adjustable.

Yes there are cheap lines out there but there is much less expensive line that does the trick.

It doesn't threaten your boat any more than tying up to less than the best dock in town.

I am still using great, budget line that I bought a 600 foot spool bCk in 1981....it is still great stuff in many applications.

Once again, a little common sense and investigation is all that is needed.

If the stuff is junk, sell it for cost to the runabout crowd and try again.

Last edited:
If you are looking for cheap rope (line) Harbor Freight would be your best bet. Got a little more to spend? Try Northern Tool or a farm supply store.

In my experience, the cost of dock lines is a very, very small part of the cost of ownership of a boat. Compared to the cost of buying the boat, depreciation, dockage, maintenance and fuel, dockline cost is way down at the bottom.

If a questionable quality line saves you ten dollars over a quality line and the quality line lasts twice as long, you would probably save money by buying the better lines but not as often.

Shannon Hardware in Houma or Morgan City La. sell 600' spools of white nylon 3 strand
1/2" for $100.62 5/8" $162.00, they sell lots of it to the commercial fishermen and oilfield guys.
I have been using both sizes for years I splice a 3' eye for easy tossing over pilings it has held up well.

Dave since these lines live on your home dock, I think the chains are a great idea. Make the chains long enough to overhang the edge of the dock. That's how I rig my hurricane lines.
I can't visualize what your talking about. Sounds great, could you please post a picture so I can see what your talking about? Again, this forum is tops. I was looking at my dock lines two days ago when I came across this thread:Thanx:

Dave -

Another option besides chain would be heavy-duty polyester webbing loops (kind of like this) for attaching dock lines to cleats. They are pretty easy to make if you have the right sewing machine and can get the appropriate webbing (not all webbing is alike).

dvd

You can sew canvas into tubes to put over your lined to protect them from chafe. Since this is your home dock would moving the cleats reduce the chafe problem?

Be careful what you use as chafe guards...

I think the zbiatUS foundation or someone did a study of what generated more heat and vhafe than nothing at all.

You can sew canvas into tubes to put over your lined to protect them from chafe. Since this is your home dock would moving the cleats reduce the chafe problem?

Home dock yes, but they are extremely finicky about moving cleats or attaching anything else to the docks. Cleat location isn't too bad it is just over time the lines will wear. I have kept tinkering with the line setup and finally have something that works really well. My dock lines are just really pretty old.

Be careful what you use as chafe guards...

I think the zbiatUS foundation or someone did a study of what generated more heat and vhafe than nothing at all.

You are right. Some chafe guards can hold heat in. As the line works in heavy weather the friction causes heat to build up in the line. The added heat increases has been indicated in line failures.

Now, we do occasionally get summer storms. However, most of our heavy weather comes in the cool season and we have only had truly heavy storm winds a few times in my lifetime here. So we don't tend to have the same concern with heat build-up as those on the East Coast would have during hurricane season.

My experience-----not junk but close to it. I purchased two reels (300'), one was 1/2" and the other 5/8". Both ropes were very soft and shrunk under load. The 5/8" resembled 9/16" at best. Never broke a dock line made with this junk but I will not purchase cheap rope again.

A month ago West Marine had New England rope on sale. I purchased 200' of both 1/2 and 5/8". Still in their shipping containers and will stay there until the boat is in the water. Just my humble thoughts

There are lots of sources of rope.

Just because it is inexpensive, doesn't mean it is junk...anymore than purchased through a marine distributer that it is overpriced...

Check the pedigree and if it comes with any certified specifications....as I posted before, sometimes local suppliers have good rope for far less than big name marine suppliers.

I bought some discount dyneema knock off...it has been great at 1/4 the price for cutoff lengths from Hamilton Marine. Maybe it doesn't meet the astronomical strength of dyneema.... who cares as long as it is still 10 times stronger than what I need.

......... My dock lines are just really pretty old..

Just like most everything else, they have a service life and then they should be replaced. Even buying quality lines at full retail at West Marine, the cost is insignificant compared to the other costs of ownership of a boat. And quality lines should last a few years.

Mine are getting old as well. I'll wait for a sale.

Shave off a few dollars with everything on a boat and it adds up very nicely....and often doest change one little bit of serviceability or pleasure.

Just ask the manufacturers why they don't use top of the line stuff all the time.....profits.

My experience-----not junk but close to it. I purchased two reels (300'), one was 1/2" and the other 5/8". Both ropes were very soft and shrunk under load. The 5/8" resembled 9/16" at best. Never broke a dock line made with this junk but I will not purchase cheap rope again.

A month ago West Marine had New England rope on sale. I purchased 200' of both 1/2 and 5/8". Still in their shipping containers and will stay there until the boat is in the water. Just my humble thoughts

Foggy you describe the difference between good line and bad line perfectly.

My suggestion for buying line is to look for the best price you can on a name brand like Samson or New England. That is how you get the best value for your money.

UV stabilization or lack of is something you can't see until its to late.
I have bought cheap rope in Oz before , not for the boat, that has failed miserably in the sun.

Same here.
3 strand nylon from Bunnings is crap. The sun just destroys it within a couple months.

Same here.
3 strand nylon from Bunnings is crap. The sun just destroys it within a couple months.

Nylon rope is inherently pretty UV resistant. I think you must have gotten something else. Possibly a mixture of nylon and polypropylene.
Polypropylene is quickly damaged by UV.

Back
Top Bottom