O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I don't disagree with but...

I had a new spare impeller on the boat when I bought it. I pulled the old one and tried to install the new one. I couldn't. I thought I was just failing because the impeller was so much bigger than what I was used to with my little Yanmar.

I fashioned some DYI installer tools. They didn't work. I bought am impeller compression tool. It didn't work. I finally had a mechanic try and install it. He couldn't do it.

I finally bought another impeller. It went in slick as snot.

The spare impeller was in the manufactures own box. It had the correct part number stamped right on the impeller. Same part number as the one I successfully installed. However there was a very slight difference in the spines of the shaft that made it not fit.

In a seaway trying to change the impeller, do I want to trying to install one that has never been in that pump or one that I know fit because I had taken it out of that pump 6 months prior?

Just a thought...
Here's a thought: Save the one you just pulled out, to match it with the one you're buying for your spares. After you have confirmed that the new one is a match, throw the old one away.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote