Old 03-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #18
hmason
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
On my sailboat I have a Yanmar 4JH4E engine. Only 56hp. I change the impeller every year. The impellers have never shown any sign of wear.

I am not sure what I will do on my Cummins QSB 5.9L 380hp engine. I changed the impeller right after I bought it last spring. The impeller had not been changed in a few years and it looked pristine. The impeller on my Yanmar is cheap. The impeller for the Cummins is not.

At this point, I am planning on inspecting the impeller after a year. The Cummins manual calls for inspecting the impeller at 250 hours or 6 months. Just opening up the pump and looking at it. It calls for removing the impeller at 500 hours or 1 year. Cleaning and inspecting the interior of the pump, inspecting the impeller but only replacing it if it is excessively worn.

Part of me says that if you are bothering to remove the thing, you might as well put a new one in. We will see.
I'm glad you said that. We travel from CT to FL and back to CT every Fall and Spring. I began changing impellers every trip but they always looked perfect. So, I began changing them after a round trip---still looked perfect. They had no "set" and none of the vanes showed any signs of cracking. I am getting ready to change them again next week. They've been in service for two years now. A quick inspection by removing the cover plate on the pump shows no "visible" wear but I will change them both. I have friends that haven't changed them in 5+ years. That's pushing it.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote