Active Captain - Android App Question???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacchus

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Bacchus
Vessel Make
MS 34 HT Trawler
I've used AC for 3-4 yrs now... submitted many reviews and earned my cap.

Started w/ laptop & wifi access to AC website - marina reviews etc helpful for route planning.
I learned that w/ the App on a tablet / phone I could download chart "Tiles" to allow access while offline - useful for quick checks while underway.

Last season I attempted to update an outdated tile only to find the no cost AC app no longer was supported and it wiped out the old (although still useful) AC data. I emailed AC any they indicated I could use any of the many apps listed on their website.

For background - I have a Raymarine MFD & chip for my cruising area - I am not looking to do route planning or nav w/ the App I don't need / want a new high end / multifunction nav program - I am only looking to access to AC marina / anchorage data & info.

So far I've downloaded & tried...

Locations - I can get on and display current location but can not get any AC info / data - I don't see any setting / layer drop down to select AC??

Smart Chart - Similar to locations - I can get on but can not find or access any AC marina data, reviews, etc
Note I have AC turned on in the Layers drop down - but still nothing showing?

Neither of the above have much in the way of help w/ set-up

Can anyone provide any insight / assistance w/ either of the Apps noted?

Can anyone recommend a No / Low Cost Android app that allows access to AC marine / anchorage info / reviews - I'm especially interested in downloading chart sections to allow offline access.

following, been having trouble finding the same. tried all those and a few more. Seriously contemplating seeing about licensing their data and writing an app myself.

I am using the MX Mariner app on my Samsung Galaxy tablet. I displays Active Capt data and the charts can be saved on a MicroSD chip. It is a purchased app and there is a charge for charts but not very expensive as I recall.
My tablet does have GPS.

I use Garmin Blue Charts. I know you are not looking for charts but as you probably know, the app is free but the charts will cost you. I think I paid $27 for my region. But it does what you are looking for....and more.

Can't speak to Locations or Smart Charts.

We use MX Mariner on our Android tablets. Inexpensive app, free NOAA raster charts.

We also use Plan2Nav. Free app, (relatively) inexpensive C-Map vector charts

Both integrate AC data.

-Chris

Always thought it was unique arrangement to allow complete access with a laptop, but limit it to license software for a tablet (android or iPad), I think allowing some advertising could accomplish the same result...

Can't speak to Locations or Smart Charts.

We use MX Mariner on our Android tablets. Inexpensive app, free NOAA raster charts.

We also use Plan2Nav. Free app, (relatively) inexpensive C-Map vector charts

Both integrate AC data.

-Chris

I have used MX Mariner on my Android phone and it works well with AC.

The AC app will no longer give you map data on an Android device as of 2016. At this point the AC app is pretty pointless as the data can be accessed and used with some pretty good purchased and free apps.

Most of my contributions were via the AC app. I haven't done as many inside the other apps.

I have to say Active Captain on the desktop is the **ONLY** website I use that I have to turn on Adobe Flash for, which is quite literally 1990's technology. Also bing maps, really? Drives me nuts.

One other Android app (besides MX Mariner, my primary) that I've used with good results is called AquaMap. They have a US version and a Canadian version. Both with AC data. The CA one charges for the charts, because CA requires that, but it's pretty reasonable compared to other options.

I e-mailed the vendor with a question about a small problem I was having, and they immediately offered a refund. I declined; it wasn't worth the hassle. But within a few days there was an update which addressed just my issue. In other words, great support.

It's not quite as feature-rich as some of the others, but it has served me well in both Canada and the inland rivers, which MX doesn't support.

We use Plan2Nav for AC on the boat - have it on my phone and Android tablet. The ONLY reason for having a Jeppeson app is AC since we switched from C-Map to Navionics.

As I recall, the maps for my tablet were very pricy for an app that I only use to access AC. I certainly won't be updating them every year as we don't navigate with them. Maybe if/when we go to the Bahamas.

Last edited:
I believe AC mentioned at some point in the past that it's Android app used MapQuest chart tiles and for some reason MapQuest no longer supports those.

Wifey B: We just use their website, no app, no overlays. We figure out where we want to go and all that separately from actually navigating. :D

I believe AC mentioned at some point in the past that it's Android app used MapQuest chart tiles and for some reason MapQuest no longer supports those.

Yeah, not sure exactly but I believe it was a change in MapQuest policy. My guess is that they wanted to have folks that were using their content to make money to pay a royalty. I could be wrong. It also I think is a good business decision on ACs part. Why compete with the apps whom you want to license AC? If the AC apps won't show maps, then it moves its users into those apps who have chosen to incorporate AC. As we have seen, having AC functionality is a strong selling point.

Wifey B: We just use their website, no app, no overlays. We figure out where we want to go and all that separately from actually navigating. :D

I agree the web site is more functional for planning, even though development on it was essentially frozen back in the days when Flash Player was state of the art and Bing was up-and-coming.

But underway, I depend heavily on apps with AC integrated. Bridge details, hazard markers, fuel and slip prices, finding anchorages, or just checking out any we pass for future reference, are all a routine part of navigating now.

I use Garmin Blue Charts. I know you are not looking for charts but as you probably know, the app is free but the charts will cost you. I think I paid $27 for my region. But it does what you are looking for....and more.

Garmin Blue Charts and Active Captain is a marriage made in heaven. Flawless operation.
Cheap!

Active Captain also works very well with Coastal Explorer.
I use to use it with Polar View, also worked well but that was three years ago.

Smart Chart - Similar to locations - I can get on but can not find or access any AC marina data, reviews, etc
Note I have AC turned on in the Layers drop down - but still nothing showing?

I have an older Galaxy S5 with "Smart Chart AIS" on it (free). I use it for AC data (marina's, fuel, etc.) I turned on the AC layer and can see POI's from the database... i just have to insure the map shows me near marina's, etc. and make sure I'm zoomed in far enough that the map display is not saturated with too many POI's, and therefore not showing any... so zoom in pretty far. I've attached an image from my phone showing the area at Barnegat Light in NJ. I click on one of the "balloons" and then click on the ">" to get the related info.

Attachments

• Smart_AIS_Active_Captain_Screenshot.jpg
    Smart_AIS_Active_Captain_Screenshot.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 78

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom