What's in a Name??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shrew

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
N/A
Vessel Make
1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
We're in the process of buying a new boat. (we still own the old boat, but that is a different story altogether).

We've been knocking around names, and we think we've arrived on one we like. Now, there appear to be 2 definitions for the name we've chosen.

I'm curious which definition pops into people's minds when they read the boat name.

Proposed Name: "Sundowner"

I believe there is a website out there that shows documented boat names. Someone here may have the link.

Sundowner is an interesting name and popular. Good luck on your search as it is the fun part of owning a boat. But BE WARNED! Perform the naming ceremony.

Renaming Your Boat - BoatSafe.com

Not very original. There are dozens of USCG-documented boats with the name "Sundowner."

Sundowner, a person suffering from sundowning (dementia), sometimes known as sundowner syndrome. Does that say something about the beverage? ;)

Last edited:
Not very original. There are dozens of USCG-documented boats with the name "Sundowner."

Sundowner, a person suffering from sundowning (dementia), sometimes known as sundowner syndrome. Does that say something about the beverage?

and........that is the other definition. The real question is which definition is evoked when one hears or sees the name?

With those 2 definitions, I think it really comes down to what the boat looks like as to which definition you think of. If you're buying a nice comfortable boat that you will maintain the outward appearance of, most will likely think of the first definition. If it's an eye sore that looks neglected or abandoned, the second definition will come to mind.

Ted

and........that is the other definition. The real question is which definition is evoked when one hears or sees the name?

The first meaning that pops into my head is the one you intend.

Pick the name that you like, is easy to read on the hull, and easy to say and hear on the radio.

The comment that it is "not very original" comes from someone named "Mark" btw. Just sayin....

The dementia meaning comes first to my mind, but that's probably b/c of personal experience with aging family.

1999 Mainship 350.

Yes, flywright. I knew about the definition dementia definition. It is a friend who is a nurse who was not familiar with the 'cocktail' definition at all. She thought it was a crazy name until we explained it to her.

Last edited:
"Shrew" can be Shakespearean or a cute busy little rodent with a funny snout...just saying.

"Shrew" can be Shakespearean or a cute busy little rodent with a funny snout...just saying.

Rodent, in case anyone is wondering. Admittedly, people mistake it for the former a lot. I've never been mistaken for 'cute' LOL!!!!

To me it's the Four Winns Sundowner 205 perhaps because it's a tender on a friend's boat.

Anyway, best wishes and good luck on your search.

Attached photo : sister boat.

Attachments

• IMG_2719.JPG
    IMG_2719.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
It's interesting that we winter at a marina in Florida called Sunset Bay. What does that bring to mind? Careful, I'll find you.

I agree, not super original (there is a pretty popular Vlog on YouTube where the boat is named Sundowner) but still a good name. Avoids the dreaded pun, which is always a bad idea, and the unpronounceable non-english word that gives bridge tenders and marina people fits.

For what it is worth, my Father-in-law died of dementia six months ago and my mother died of parkinson's tied with dementia about a month ago. I didn't think of the dementia application, don't think I've ever heard it.

US Navy Fighter Squadron VF-111 "Sundowners" was likely the most famous Pacific fleet squadron.

vf-111-f-4-mug-6.jpg

So, a "Sundowner" was typically a member of that squadron.

Last edited:
Every time I heard that name I thought of the classic speed boat Ionce saw.

It had the name arched on the transom superimposed over a beautiful
sunset mural.

Ted

Last edited:
The tropical drink on the flying bridge or dock watching a beautiful sunset. It is a good name, one bridge and lock tenders will grasp right away.
That should always be taken into consideration, it's not like the name of a beautiful sailboat I saw near Mobile, Al. the Zubenelgenubi.
It is the name of a star. It would take a good while to get that name across to some bridge tenders.
A long time ago I thought ISIS would have been a nice name for my "next boat" that was long before the terrorist group showed up, how would that have worked out.

Last edited:
When I hear Sundowner, I think Tug :thumb:

That, and something like a 'nooner' but later in the day :D

There is an Australian film from the 1960s called The Sundowners".
There was an English made Morris Isis car. ISIS seem to wisely prefer the Toyota ute/pickup, the first choice of insurgent fighters.

Not to muddy the waters and certainly not be rude or cause any offence to any TF member but Shrew in English is often used to refer to a woman with a nose similar to the furry little animal who continually sticks it in other peoples business and makes remarks with a vindictive acid tongue.
Apologies if I've inadvertently caused any offence but it just shows how complicated life can get.
If you Google Boat Names it will take you to a site with an alphabetical list to choose from.
As always it mustn't be rude, derogatory etc and of course clear to use on the VHF.

After a very costly divorce, in a fit of pique I renamed my boat 'Begrudged' without really thinking it through. When I began using the VHF my call sign sounded like an old 2 cylinder diesel engine starting up and I quickly changed it to 'Sanity' meaning that throughout the hassle I kept my sanity.

First thought was a tasty relaxing cocktail on a warm summer night.

"Morning Rise" seems more uplifting, and no one is using that name on an USCG documented boat.

Sunrise leaving Richardson Bay, Golden Gate to the far right (out of sight), central San Francisco Bay straight ahead, while Raccoon Strait will be to the left while we head toward home port:

Last edited:
Not to muddy the waters and certainly not be rude or cause any offence to any TF member but Shrew in English is often used to refer to a woman with a nose similar to the furry little animal who continually sticks it in other peoples business and makes remarks with a vindictive acid tongue.
Apologies if I've inadvertently caused any offence but it just shows how complicated life can get.
If you Google Boat Names it will take you to a site with an alphabetical list to choose from.
As always it mustn't be rude, derogatory etc and of course clear to use on the VHF.

I've participated in forums for far too many years to upset by words on a screen from anonymous posters. However, I certainly appreciate you qualifying the hell out of your reply.

Yes, your definition of Shrew falls under the 'Shakespearean' name referenced earlier. However, I've had the name for over 23?+ years.. I didn't choose it, it was given to me and I'm not going to easily change hundreds of people who've been using it for decades.

I'm really more interested in the boat name, than my nickname.

Just a note. I'm not really looking for name ideas or ideas on how to arrive at names. I have a shortlist already. i'm really just curious about peoples perception when they hear the name 'Sundowner'. It's been a discussion point with my SO, and I'm just looking for feedback.

I agree, that I don't want a name I need to spell or explain. I don't like puns or homonyms (e.g. Ecsta-Sea, Searenity, etc). No offense if anyone has named their boats either of those names. I don't like sentences (Me and My two Buoys).

I appreciate people's feedback so far. Many thanks.

Brings to mind a Robert Mitchum movie about Australian outback nomads. Maybe not what you had in mind?

The ending "downer" is too downbeat for my taste, connotations of analogies to end of life, darkness etc.

But morning rise brings a sheets' tentpole to mind. . .

Back
Top Bottom