Lashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

High Wire

Guru
Vessel Name
Irish Lady
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Looking for the right cord for two re-lash canvas jobs, one grommeted Sunbrella and the other a center console t-top. I tried ordinary 1/8 cord from the hardware store but that only lasted a year and stretched badly. What is the right stuff?

Cable ties?

Try paracord? i'm trying some for the cover on my table on the fly bridge. I seem to remember that it comes as size 550? I think that's about 1/8".

Looking for the right cord for two re-lash canvas jobs, one grommeted Sunbrella and the other a center console t-top. I tried ordinary 1/8 cord from the hardware store but that only lasted a year and stretched badly. What is the right stuff?

Whatever has the best UV resistance would be my guess.

There is a lot of knock off dyneema stuff, pretty strong still and think it has good UV resistance.

Also, check Defender Marines clearance sale section.

They always have spools of thin stuff for dingy halyards, etc..... might have a good deal there, low stretch and good UV qualities.

Samson Accessory Cord is low stretch, UV resistant, and strong. It's my favorite cord for lashing. It holds knots very well.
Product

If you need white cord Samson Solid Braid Polyester or Nylon.
Nylon stretches a little more.
Product

Unless I bought a bad batch of paracord, I thought it was junk and I'll not buy again. There is on mine an inner core of plastic like threads surrounded by the braided exterior. My problem is the core is longer than the sheathing and it looks like heck. Yes, I did burn the ends however mine separated. Ugly.

LockerForLines.jpg

And mine stretched.

As Janice found out, paracord is not a good line for lashing. It stretches a lot. You'll have a hard time getting everything tight.

I was trying to get specifics on paracord stretch for you guys and I found this: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/52975-550-paracord-stretch-test

It's a hammock forum! There are forums for everything!

By the way, those little black cords that Janet used to tie her bundles of paracord look just like Samson Accessory Cord.

Seine net cord. Any commercial fishery supply place. Sorry no photos.

Cable ties?
That may not have been understood, it`s what we call zip ties. Easy but non traditional way to attach canvas to railings, etc.

Darn! Hop Car, thanks for the information. Wish I'd known that before now. Looks the accessory cord is sold in 300 foot spools? Does your "last job" sell it or the white cord?
Thanks.

They should have both. Send an email to victor@hopkins-carter.com
They sell it by the foot so you don't need to order a full spool.
I just asked him for some 6mm Accessory cord to tie a cover on my little Skiff.
I haven't been to the store in a couple of weeks so I don't know what is in stock anymore.

If its not removed except when worn out 1/8 inch SS wire rope (7x7) would be impervious to the sun.

Thanks HopCar, I'll get in touch with him. Appreciate the suggestion and the ability to buy the line in smaller amounts.

Greetings,
Mr. 717. Bare copper wire in a salt water environment? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdigris
Alternately, is the plastic coating the electrical wire UV resistant?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdigris
Leave the coating on the wires, just strip the wire out of the romex sheath.
Should be fine. I have some solid copper bonding wires, PVC coated? that have been sitting in the bilge water since 1970 and are fine shape. Solid copper holds up better, water can not wick down between insulation and copper I suppose. Up in the air, is mostly dry.

I think it should last many years in the sun, maybe white better since white reflects the light?

The copper wont stretch and is soft enough to easily conform to being lashed round and round.
I have lots of loose wire, I figure other people have something like this they can use to cost them no extra money.
I wonder how many feet it will take to lash a top.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom