Fixing canvas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Navigator

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kekada
Vessel Make
Seahorse 54
When we requested "common sense" fastener for attaching our canvas work our builder has countered with the suggestion of using press studs as an alternative. We have previously found these to rust up an become difficult to put on/remove. Before we decide which way to go has anyone had any success in preventing the corrosion on the press stud fasteners.*

Thanks, Don

For the uninformed dreamers amongst us, What does a press stud look like, and what are the alternatives?

Thanks

I am converting all our canvas to the bungie cord type as they stretch and giving in the wind.

The snaps and the stud may look*better but a PITA.* *

Has anyone tried Velcro in strips or round spots glued on?

SD

Yes, does not last long out side in the rain and wind.* The bungee cords let the canvas flex/move in the wind.* But then again we have an ugly old trawler so a little more ugly does not matter.

Navigator wrote:
When we requested "common sense" fastener for attaching our canvas work our builder has countered with the suggestion of using press studs as an alternative. ...

*Oh, you mean affixing.

Bill Kimley (Seahorse Marine)*wasn't enthusiastic about my boat additions consisting of fuel polisher, Floscan meter, Tank Tender, and extra cleats.* But when he helped me commission the boat in California, he used those tools and touted their advantages (the fuel polisher can prime the engine, etc.)

Don, go with your "gut" and have it done the way you want.* I've found that phylosophy*usually works for me.

Thanks for the feedback, we will stay with the CS's.**

Mark, you are right - affixing would have been a better title

-- Edited by Navigator on Thursday 23rd of June 2011 02:21:49 AM

Even though it didn't need it, the old canvas on our Krogen Manatee was a "toast" colored Sunbrella, and even though it went OK with the character of the boat, it didn't go well with our plans of color scheme, etc.. *I was shocked at the great condition of the old canvas, windows, zippers and fasteners. *When I commisioned new canvas to be made, I asked the same guy (Zak at Marine Seam, Daytona Beach, FL) to outfit our new canvas with the same fastener layout. *That involved common sense fasteners at real stress points, press studs at a few areas that are often opened, and the entire bridge-deck wind breaker canvas was done in velcro where it would be rarely, but easily removed. *I found the old canvas velcro to be virtually pristine, but I don't know about how often it was removed. *My guess is that velcro wouldn't be the way to go with something that gets heavy use and is pulled apart on a regular basis, but I have no problem with the press studs, and as long as the canvas has sewn reinforcement wherever there is a fastener, regardless of what type.

**Here's shots of the original boat as purchased, the old canvas laid out for inspection, and two shots of the fasteners on the new stuff. *Never had any rust to speak of on these fasteners, and we're in FL on salt water.

Attachments

• 100706125233966211.jpg
    100706125233966211.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 70
  • dscn3726.jpg
    dscn3726.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 76
  • dscn3730.jpg
    dscn3730.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 66
  • veranda canvas 1.jpg
    veranda canvas 1.jpg