Bay of Pillars Alaska?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ken E.

Guru
Vessel Name
Hatt Trick
Vessel Make
45' Hatteras Convertible
Doing some route planning for next summer. I've checked out Coast Pilot and Douglass on Bay of Pillars, West side of Kuiu island. There's an old cannery in there and it looks interesting to explore. The entrance looks like you'd only want to go through at high slack tide and then only after having a look at low water in the dink. Anchorage outside the narrows looks possible behind some small islands. Any local knowledge for Bay of Pillars?

There were a few guys at Thorne Bay that went there several times. Their conversation sounds like they had the time of their lives. Great time fishing. They talk about The Bay of Pillars like some here talk about Glacier Bay.

You better go find out what they thought was so special about it.

Years ago when I was a young buck, I crewed on a tug that the 'Old Man' (29) loved Pillar Bay. He had found it when he was 'Young?". Later in our lives, I in my 40s and he near 60 and owning his own tug boat, would make it a goal to travel to Pillar Bay, like a hermitage he would go. Knowing him as I did (He has passed, I'd like to think he settled in the Bay.
Please if you succeed in your quest, share with us.

Al-Ketchikan

Was in there last summer, went in and out near high water slack. There is a rock in the entrance on south side. Not a difficult narrows. Spent a couple of days there, lots of black bear and lots of sea otters. Outside of narrows on south side there is lots of good anchorage also. Inside narrows anchored in bay at south west side, Honeymoon Cove or something like that. Dan

We went in last summer. We anchored to the south just outside the narrows, then went through the narrows via tender and explored the inner bay. The charts for the narrows appeared accurate, and at slack tide I might run the big boat in there. But only at slack.

As mentioned, lots of otters

Attachments

• PCH_2016-06-29_12-30_2746Crop.jpg
    PCH_2016-06-29_12-30_2746Crop.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 91
I think the old cannery there has been purchased, has a new owner now.

We have been in there many times and it's a place worth visiting. The cannery is worth exploring, very interesting. Keep an eye out for the bears. We met the gentleman who purchased the land next to the cannery, very friendly. The river next to the cannery is absolutely packed with salmon at the right time of the year. Going into the inner bay at high slack is easy. Great place for bear watching. A special place. Enjoy!

Was in there last summer. If you go all the way to the back you will find a trail on the northeast shore that meets up with a logging road. You can walk a long ways either direction. To the east you can get to Camden Bay and beyond.

Tom

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom