AuraGen cruise generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If that's the big old cruise generator , that works from a fat belt from the main engine , yes.

They are slow to respond to speed changes , but most items don't mind a quick 55cps or 65cps .

Securing the unit is needed when large RPM changes are made , then restore service the variable pulleys will have re created the 60cps , after a short while.

On a new boat I would run Hydraulic , and enjoy the multiple uses of a hyd system.

If there was one on an old boat , I would keep it , worst that might happen is it is used to charge a battery system and real quality electric taken from an inverter.

Hmmm. An 8.5 kW generator that is 12X6 inches and weighs 52 lbs. This sounds pretty good -- is there something I'm missing here?

dvd

dvd wrote:... is there something I'm missing here?
*Yeah, the prime mover!
biggrin.gif

For those who might believe the*geezer*stories about needing to "secure" that generator or use variable pulleys,*technology has*come a long ways since reciprocating steam engines and the 6-71.

These units function like the generators on large wind turbines and other modern variable input speed systems. They produce AC power with a frequency that varies according to driver speed and that is converted to DC which is then switched using IGBT semiconductors to produce a very tightly controlled AC output frequency.

The same control system can work in reverse to input DC power and drive the unit as an AC motor with very precise rpm and torque control. This is a small version of the systems used on modern cruise ships.

Its basically a cruise gen that is powered off the main engine.**the Eagle has*a*Cruise Air 5*kw gen set, powered by two V belts off the front on the 671 with an electric clutch.***We use it when out in open water as the engine rpm need to be above 1000 rpm for 60 hertz at ideal, 750 rpm it browns out at 45 hertz.*It produces AC power.* The main gen is used in the marina as it also powers the* hydraulic bow thruster.*

Old idea with new technology.* Sail boats and small boats that have only the main engine use them.* *

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 03:26:24 PM

I realize it runs off the main engine, but my turbo Perkins has more than enough power to keep me going at hull speed. Seems to me, if I were starting from scratch, or had to replace an existing genny, I'd much rather have this little thing hanging off the front of my engine than having to add another whole engine. Are they functionally/economically competitive with stand-alone generators?

dvd

It appears to me that this device takes advantage of new technology capability, an engine driven alternator making DC at high voltage (over 400 volts), then inverting that to 120/240 volt 60 cycles independent of rotational speed. This is similar to what the latest Honda generators do.

It appears in theory to be a very good idea, but I was trying to find if anyone had tried it before thinking of buying one!

Bill

Island Cessna wrote:.......I was trying to find if anyone had tried it before thinking of buying one!
******* Hooking a cruise generator up to your engine is not a new idea. Many years ago, my late brother who had a 50+ foot DeFever, had one of these which he swore by as he cruised the Sea of Cortez, the west coast of Mexico and Central America. It worked extremely well & he considered it to be a priority on his equipment list.TWL: Re: Re: AuraGen cruise generator

Sailor of Fortune wrote:
There used to be the Auto-gen, by I don't think it is sold or made anymore.
*I check last night and ours is a Auto-gen not a*Cruise*Air.* *

There is one on ebay right now There must be several units avaliable as it has been for sale for a very long time $1500 aura gen

THere was also Seapower but I do believe I don't think it was as advanced as these. I think you had to match the RPMs of the engine to get the desired CPS....1800RPM. I have been on a boat with one of these and the belts would always squeak when the AC load increased. ANyway, probably not the same thing.

John. My brother has a 5kw sea power unit on his boat, 41' baybuilt, and it puts out enough at a high idle to run air conditioner, refer, charger, etc. The unit consists of a large altenator on the engine and a control unit. If you idle the engine a normal idle it will shut itself down. This unit has worked perfect for the last 10 years.* To bad they, Sea Power, are out of business.
Larryw

-- Edited by LarryW on Monday 27th of June 2011 04:24:32 AM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom