Time to replace the batteries.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsh Rat

Vessel Name
Tracinda's Treasure
Vessel Make
Pearson 43 Motor Yacht
I have 4 - 8D gel cells. One each as starting batteries and two in series as house batteries. We like to stay on the hook as much as possible. I currently have a Xantrex 40 amp charger and just the standard alternators on a pair of Volvo TAMD 41's. The engines are wired to a Guest battery isolator.

Most of the lighting on the boat is 12 volt. slowly switching to LED. We put in a regular home type Whirlpool refrig/freezer when we were living aboard. I have an 1800 watt inverter to run the fridge and TV while on the hook.

Im thinking a pair of 4D's for starting batteries and 4 6 volt deep cycles for house batteries.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jack:**You*may want to increase the*size of your house bank.* With*4-6 volt deep cycle (~450 AH), you*only have about 135 amps per day available if you*don't discharge below 50% and as you know putting in the last 20%*takes a lot of energy.* Your refrigerator/freezer probably take all of that plus some.* I don't know about your Volvo's and if the 4D's are recommended.

I would think the 4D's can start just about anything.* The 4 6V will give you the same as your present system.* So if the present system works that's the ticket. 6 6V will increase the house system and you will have the room to do that with one of the 8D's gone.

There's as many discussions on this as twin vs single.* But my take is charge the house bank*directly form your chargers (Alt and Xantrex) use an Echo to charge the 4 D's.** If you don't already have an external adjustable regulator on the Alt (Balmar or whatever brand) get one*and don't split up the Xan, use only the*one leg and charge all 40 A to the house system.* The Echo will take care of the 4 D's.

This worked on my last boat and it will be what*I do this this boat as the system needs repair or replacement.* This system was suggested in a seminar that I went to and it makes perfect sense.

I appreciate the advice. I didn't realize it took so much longer to charge the last 20%. I found last year on a five day cruise that by the third day I was running the genset a lot to keep the batteries up. I bought the boat in 04 but didn't start using it until 06. The 8D gels were in the boat when I bought it and I don't know how old they are. Going to take off around the 4th for 10 days and figured I'd change out the batteries before I start. The local Interstate dealer and I are good friends so Interstate is the plan. I can do 6 - 6 volts for more capacity. I need a little more weight aft anyway.
JD I'm familiar with the Echo your talking about.

I meant to say not familiar with the Echo your taking about.

I have been using an Echo Charger to charge my starting battery for 5 years now with no problem.

My 1979 Perkins 6.354 starts instantly with the group 31. It replaced an 8D. The house went from one 8D to 4 6 volts. Charging is 40 amp xantrax on the dock, 140 amp alternater*with*a three stage regulator cruising or on the hook. Can also use the generator to run the Xantrax.

Rob

37' Sedan

I have twin 6.354's as well and I did the same thing, threw away my 8D batteries but replaced them with two 4D batteries. *I also got rid of the original battery charger and installed a 40 amp Xantrex charger and remote monitor. *My batteries are on their 8th year now, they don't use water and spin those Perkins up like there is no tomorrow. *

The real key to long battery life was the Xantrex charger which floats the battery bank voltages seperately , monitors the batteries without trickle charging them and cycles them every 21 days if left idle.

Back
Top Bottom