Okeechobee Rim Route

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
Has anyone done this recently? I heard that the Corps no longer dredges it and has many shallow spots. I draw 5'

Came across lake last week, there was a report that the rim route was closed to all but bass boats. Otherwise, no problems crossing the lake.

There's currently an issue with a bridge not opening on the rim route. That was earlier this week.

Don't know about the bridge issue, but there's plenty of water in the lake. I didn't see anything less than 5' anywhere along the rim 2 years ago (with less water than there is now) except for the 150 degree or so turn south into the rim route just after entering the lake from the eastern side (Port Mayaca Lock), which was 5' at the time we passed.

Don't know about the bridge issue, but there's plenty of water in the lake. I didn't see anything less than 5' anywhere along the rim 2 years ago (with less water than there is now) except for the 150 degree or so turn south into the rim route just after entering the lake from the eastern side (Port Mayaca Lock), which was 5' at the time we passed.

I hope your thumb nail picture next to your forum name is not really your boat going over that wave. Wow.

A simple Internet search turns up many entries including this one:

Waterway Updates | Skipper Bob Cruising Guides

Apparently, a bridge is closed for repairs as of 03/15/17 but one would expect it to be repaired and reopened pretty quickly.

edit:

From another link
"2/15/17: The Point Chosen Swingbridge across Lake Okeechobee Route 2 is closed to navigation. This closure is anticipated to last for three weeks as an emergency water main has been placed across the bridge. This bridge provides a vertical clearance of 11 feet. Vessels with a height of greater than 11 feet should use Lake Okeechobee Route 1 during this time."

On the rim route, there is a very shallow spot just south of Port Mayaca lock. To avoid it westbound, head south from green 5 and re-enter the channel around red 50.

The Torry Island bridge will not open for approx another 3 weeks. Clearance only 11 ft when closed. For updates call the bridgetender at 561-996-3844 or go to Cruisersnet.net

I hope your thumb nail picture next to your forum name is not really your boat going over that wave. Wow.

Yeah, that's our boat. There are those here that would tell you it's some kind of Photoshop job, but don't believe 'em.

Some moron over on the Facebook Trawler page is telling everyone to take the rim route only.

"Some moron over on the Facebook Trawler page is telling everyone to take the rim route only."

Probably owns a tow service and prop shop,,,

"Some moron over on the Facebook Trawler page is telling everyone to take the rim route only."

Probably owns a tow service and prop shop,,,

Smart guy. Then they'll all come in saying some moron on facebook told us and he'll say "really? How stupid."

That was two years ago. There are several alerts, I'd advise anyone going to look at on cruisersnet.net and

Based on what we've heard, conditions have worsened, but then there have always been those warning against the rim route. If my draft was 3-3.5' I'd probably take it. Otherwise, the question would be why take it? The issues seem to be occasional new shoaling but more often a day beacon missing or located wrong.

If I was considering it, I'd call a Sea Tow or TowBoat US captain in the area and get the latest. They're the first ones to know of problems.

Some moron over on the Facebook Trawler page is telling everyone to take the rim route only.

I crossed Florida a few months ago, it was windy and for the 1st time, I took the rim route thinking it was going to be a smoother ride. It was for a while but you still have to be in "open waters" for about 5 miles, no big difference.
The other times I crossed very early morning, waves don't build up until later.
Next time, I will not take the rim route.

I crossed twice in the past 2 months on boat deliveries. I can't comment on the rim route but going across the lake was just fine.

The Port Mayaca lock is open all of the time so no need to lock through.

The Indiantown railway swing bridge was broken the day I arrived two weeks afi so it put us back a day. It's been repaired but the new story is that it will go down for some time for a permanent repair soon.

Personally I don't know why anyone would take the rim route. Tried it once in a 4.5 ft draft and touched bottom a few times. Across the lake is safe and a beautiful ride without bugs. You can travel fast without worry.

Personally I don't know why anyone would take the rim route. Tried it once in a 4.5 ft draft and touched bottom a few times. Across the lake is safe and a beautiful ride without bugs. You can travel fast without worry.

Some of us can't or don't want to travel fast. We own trawlers, not speed boats. :rolleyes:

My plan is to take the rim route if it is open. My draft is 3.5' and we are not in a hurry. We are "sightseeing".

WestK

Perhaps I wasn't succinct in my writing. I did not mean you had to travel fast but that you could if you wanted to because the depth is greater with no need to progress at a super slow pace due to obstructions in the water.

Further fast is relative but my intention was not to imply one should travel at super high speeds (which is also relative). In your case fast might be 7 knots and you would be safe to transverse the lake at that speed however, I would not travel the rim channel at that speed as there are many obstructions.

I hope this clears up what I stated.

Some of us can't or don't want to travel fast. We own trawlers, not speed boats. :rolleyes:

My plan is to take the rim route if it is open. My draft is 3.5' and we are not in a hurry. We are "sightseeing".

There is no rule requiring one taking the straight route to go fast or hurry. People doing that also sight see.

I would encourage anyone crossing to take time to see the area. We have gone to the area outside Roland Martin's and explored in our RIB for hours. If one's draft allows it, there is reason to do the rim route once.

BandB

True plus there us great bass fishing in the grass flats east of Roland's and ne of Roland's.

BandB

True plus there us great bass fishing in the grass flats east of Roland's and ne of Roland's.

Yes, we got a guide from Roland's while some of the real fishermen with us went fishing on their own, I'd say we all had a good day fishing and we're not fishermen.

Bingo!

So from my reading the rim canal is not passable if you need 11 feet air clearance due to bridge repair.

Personally I don't know why anyone would take the rim route. [/QUOTE]

We are all entitled to our personal choices. Some folks cruise to get to a certain destination, others like to stop and smell the roses along the way. For us, the cruise is the destination. We enjoy cruising the AICW, even the parts where many people suggest "going outside". Several hours of looking at nothing but water is pretty boring.

So, if it's passable by the time we get there, we will take the rim route. If it disappoints us, we'll take the direct route on the way back.

So from my reading the rim canal is not passable if you need 11 feet air clearance due to bridge repair.

Yes, if you are planning on going today. In a couple weeks, you should be fine. Check before you start.

WesK

I agree if you have never taken the rim before it might be fun, I much prefer the more direct and safer route. To each his own!

Why would you think the direct route is safer?

I checked here: http://w3.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/currentLL.shtml and they list the water depth at just under five feet (today). My draft is 3.5 feet and I have a keel and skeg on my boat. Yes, I'll have to pay attention, but I try to do that anyway.

It's going to be six weeks or more by the time I get there so I have that long to decide and I'll have the latest information when I make my decision.

WesK

Because there are less obstructions in the water. Many times trees fall in the rim and are not removed but just cut. Every time I have taken the rim I have hit something under water. The main channel is traveled by yachts, tugs, ect so if it shoals they dredge it out. No trees to fall across your path. Having a keel is good.

Most of the traffic on the rim is fast bass boats that draw very little at high speeds.

Back
Top Bottom