experience-The Mr. Funnel Fuel Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
Home link filter site

Do you have any experience with this or a similar fuel filter aid?

Last edited:
Yes, I have one and it works as well as advertised. It works best if the quantity of water in the fuel is small enough that it doesn't flow up on the green filter element and the water stays in the bottom of the funnel.

I suspect a very small amount of water does make it through the filter element, which I believe is teflon coated, but the primary fuel filter should take that little bit left out of the system. I don't think I would try to filter grossly contaminated fuel with it. I think pouring the contaminated fuel slowly also makes the separation work better.

They are popular with airplane pilots up here in Alaska. I think I would filter it into another container rather than to flow it directly into the fuel tank so it was filtered a couple of times...

I have used mine for gasoline, no idea how well it would work with diesel.

Yes, I have one and it works as well as advertised. It works best if the quantity of water in the fuel is small enough that it doesn't flow up on the green filter element and the water stays in the bottom of the funnel.

I suspect a very small amount of water does make it through the filter element, which I believe is teflon coated, but the primary fuel filter should take that little bit left out of the system. I don't think I would try to filter grossly contaminated fuel with it. I think pouring the contaminated fuel slowly also makes the separation work better.

They are popular with airplane pilots up here in Alaska. I think I would filter it into another container rather than to flow it directly into the fuel tank so it was filtered a couple of times...

I have used mine for gasoline, no idea how well it would work with diesel.

Filters Petrol, Diesel, Heating Oil, and Kerosene they say are suitable for liquids?

This filtering is probably based on a very dense network that does not reach the water molecule through. the market has a lot of "snake oil" stuff, this might not, may be?

I found BoatTest sites is rewiev the mr. Funel filters http://www.boattest.com/view-news/4527_full-test-of-fuel-filter-funnel-from-shurhold-industries

Last edited:
i removed water from gasoline, it didn't have particulates in the fuel to filter out, just water. it worked great!

The "magic" is due to the hydrophobic screen, which will pass gasoline & diesel fuel, but not water.

They have been around for at least the past 30 years, "snake oil" usually doesn't last that long. Mine is probably 30 years old and it still works as advertised.

Water does not pass through the screen, but I didn't like the idea of letting it accumulate up the screen to "test" it. I emptied mine as it accumulated in the bottom of the funnel. The screen starts a little ways up from the bottom of the pedestal it is mounted in, and the pedestal (filter) plugs into the bottom of the center of the funnel.

I would buy another in a heartbeat if I needed to replace the one I have. It is of very durable construction if it's still made the way the one I have is.

How well does this work at a marine fuel dock for 60 gallons or more of fuel? Do you dispense it into the funnel and let it drain through? Is there a problem of filling the funnel too fast and overflowing it?

Bush pilots in Alaska use them, where they used to strain the fuel through a chamois. In my opinion it depends on how contaminated the fuel is, but if you stop the fill and check the funnel for water accumulating in the bottom once in a while it will be pretty obvious is there is much contamination in the fuel.

Pilots were usually pumping their fuel out of 55 gallon drums with a hand pump, I used a siphon hose to move fuel from 15 gallon drums into the boat fuel tank. Yes, you dispense the fuel into the funnel and let it drain into the tank. Yes, you could overflow the funnel if you filled it too fast, just like you overflow a funnel changing oil in your car or truck if you don't watch the drainage rate as you fill.

It's a BIG funnel, so you shouldn't have any issues. You may need someone to hold it straight as you fill it, as it is so large you could pull it off center with the fuel fill and tip it over.

How well does this work at a marine fuel dock for 60 gallons or more of fuel? Do you dispense it into the funnel and let it drain through? Is there a problem of filling the funnel too fast and overflowing it?
They don't.
I used one once when siphoning while on passage and it couldn't keep up.

According to the Shurhold Industries website, they no longer make or sell Mr. Funnel.
Makes you wonder why, if it was such a great product...........

Anyone know of a replacement for the Baha filter or Mr. Funnel?

OK., Hopkins Manufacturing purchased Mr. Funnel, but it seems you cannot purchase from their website, and they don't list dealers!

They don't.
I used one once when siphoning while on passage and it couldn't keep up.

Don't hold the fill handle down so far :) My tank fill can't keep up with the nozzle at most docks and I have to have them gate it back at the pump to slow the flow, otherwise the nozzle clicks off as the fuel comes up the fill hose or it overflows.

I think part of the reason for them not making them anymore is that they last practically forever. Mine is over 30 years old and is still in perfect condition, they didn't design obsolescence into them, unlike most things these days...

Found them on Amazon - should have looked there first!

AF3CB - not exactly giving them away, at $155 to $185 Cdn!

Canadian Tire sells the Flotool (Protool?) funnel for $16, but one size only, 3.5 gal/hr.

Last edited:
Just buy a regular chamois and a funnel...actually, that works very well for gasoline, I haven't tried it for diesel...I'd better try it before I suggest it. Takes all the water out of gasoline.

I waited too long to edit my previous post...when I used to be a bush pilot (when wooly mammoths walked the earth) we carried a funnel and if the aircraft was fuel injected, a chamois. Fuelling from drums, you pumped your fuel through the chamois (it just lined the funnel) and no water could get through. If the aircraft was carbureted, like a Beaver, we used a felt, basically a discarded Texas hat, which we lined the funnel with. The felt might leave some fibres in the fuel which a carburetor would have no trouble swallowing but the fibres could muck up a fuel injection system. For diesel, a felt would probably be better than a chamois because it would pass the fuel quicker and the elaborate filtering we have would solve the fibre problem.

Pretty old-school solution to water separation, just don't tell your buddy why you want to borrow his Stetson!

So, for us poor slobs north of the border, that's $65.83 Cdn plus $40.84 shipping, or $106.67. In my experience they rarely get the shipping and duty right, so it might be a bit more.
Still better than $185!

I have often found amazon.com will not ship to Canada, they direct me to amazon.ca instead. - but this one actually mentions that it will ship to Canada.
Will look into it.

I use mine to test the fuel for water. I use the funnel to put several gallons of fuel in the tank. Then I check the funnel for water. If no water, I finish filling my tank without the funnel.

I got to know the guy who invented it. He converted a big galvanized funnel by putting four of his strainers in it and gave it to me. It would pass a lot of fuel but it wasn't one of those offset funnels and my fuel fill is very close to the house. The funnel wouldn't fit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom