Difference between a Mainship 34 and 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
All,

Been shopping for a Mainship 40, which I've found is a nice basic boat, which is easy to own and has a lot of value for the dollar. Probably one of the most popular boats on the loop.

Lately the 34 has come to mind and seems very similar, except one stateroom, and a bit smaller salon. However seems like the exterior space in the cockpit and the aft flybridge area is about the same for storing toys like kayaks and dinghies.

It also has the nice "straight" stairs and nice helm stations.

In addition, the twin version moves along pretty good in the low 20 knot range, yet still gets excellent economy at slow speeds, and drafts about 8 inches less, which is HUGE for me.

What am I missing?

All,

Been shopping for a Mainship 40, which I've found is a nice basic boat, which is easy to own and has a lot of value for the dollar. Probably one of the most popular boats on the loop.

Lately the 34 has come to mind and seems very similar, except one stateroom, and a bit smaller salon. However seems like the exterior space in the cockpit and the aft flybridge area is about the same for storing toys like kayaks and dinghies.

It also has the nice "straight" stairs and nice helm stations.

In addition, the twin version moves along pretty good in the low 20 knot range, yet still gets excellent economy at slow speeds, and drafts about 8 inches less, which is HUGE for me.

What am I missing?

6 feet:)

As Danderer notes above, the dimensional differences between the 34T and 40 are rather minimal. From the main bulkhead aft, ie the main salon, aft cockpit, and the flybridge have essentially the same dimensions. That is why both have lots of room in these areas.

But the 34 moves at the low 20 kts? It might hit 20 at wot with no gear and fluids, but the real world cruising speed is about 15 kts.

David

This is a great resource to compare boats:

PowerBoat Guide - | Denison Yacht Sales

Select the drop down for Mainship, then locate the models you're comparing. I'll do it separate tabs so I can go back and forth between models.

The 350, 390, and 34T are very, very similar models. If you like more salon/saloon space, the newer model 34T with the galley down is great. However there is only a single stateroom. The 350/390 (350 preceeded the 390) have the galley up, but a second stateroom. (350 has a double in the guest berth, 390 has twins).

The 400 is a bigger boat, though very similar to the three above. It includes a larger galley (up) and a settee. Beam is relatively the same on all 4 boats. The 400 is a tad longer.

That Powerboat Guide is a great resource. It doesn't show them all as it seems to be mostly American built boats.

David

Thanks all,

The power boat guide is good, but must be tempered with the fact that some boats are way more popular or numerous than others, and it doesn't show that. The 34, 35, 39 and 40 are all very similar, but significant improvements in the 40 and the 34 in later models, but a bit hard to get that info. There's also an earlier 35 diesel cruiser, that looks like the later 34 but very significant difference. And a lot of other Mainships listed that just aren't a lot of them.

But looking at the 34 (sometimes called the 34T), made from 2005 to 09 is very similar to the 40 and has most of the same refinements. What I like is the 34 is a fair amount lighter and has better cruise numbers, both hi and low speed. But the sacrifice is the extra stateroom (which I don't need), and perhaps a smaller salon which I also don't need. But seems like the cockpit and the upper space behind the fly bridge is the same, which I like.

I also like the ~$50K price difference.

I also like the smaller draft at 3'4" which is a big deal for us.

What I don't like is the "sunken" galley and smaller fridge, which is a huge deal. The sunken galley is "out of the focal point" and the chef is in the background. So I need to see if we can deal with that.

Question for those that have one.....
Is the bed in the stateroom the same with the lousy overhead cut short so it's hard to sit up without banging your head?

Overall, it has my interest.

...Question for those that have one.....
Is the bed in the stateroom the same with the lousy overhead cut short so it's hard to sit up without banging your head?...
Can`t say for Mainship, but on my boat, you bump your head once maybe twice and develop a memory, saving further laceration.

We love our 34. If is truly a 2 person Boat but very comfy for 2.
Link in my Signature has some improvement projects I've done. We find the galley a plus. Open to the saloon for conversations...open and light...easy to hand stuff between while some clutter out of sight.
We swappedsofa bed for 2 recliners as the sofa bad wasn't very comfortable for seating...pics on the linked site.
Happy to answer any questions.
We are the hardtop version so can't comment on bridge.
Aft cockpit is ample for 2 deck chairs + guest seating on Cooper and/or aft Storage compartments.

Bed is good size...ample headroom seated and comfortable...only complaint was no shelves for misc small articles...book...glasses...drink..clock. I fixed that by adding port & std shelves.

We have the 2 drawer fridge and think it holds more / better access than the conventional Door type. We do use a 5 day cooler for drinks & ice on extended cruises.

We have the 2 drawer fridge and think it holds more / better access than the conventional Door type. We do use a 5 day cooler for drinks & ice on extended cruises.

Bacchus,

That's good to know, thx!

MS 34T Fwd Cabin Shelves

I had a request for pics of the shelves I built for the Fwd Cabin -

I will eventually get around to adding it to the projects on the "Bacchus" web link below. Attached is a draft of the write-up w/ pics.

Attachments

• Fwd Cabin Shelves.pdf
    219.3 KB · Views: 178
Don: Great job on the shelves. I too wished we had shelves when we had our 34T. Oddly the Pilot 34 we bought to replace her when we moved to the East Coast does have shelves, just like you added. $$$$ decision by MS no doubt.

To the OP:

For a couple, the 34T is darn near perfect. Essentially the same salon, cockpit and fly bridge space as the 400 but $50+K cheaper and four thousand pounds lighter.

Even with twin 240 Yanmars I don't think that you can really go that fast in the 400. 14 kts is probably the limit on cruising speed.

The galley down in the 34T is of course a personal preference. Since 90% of our meals are cooked outside on a grill it is mostly irrelevant to us. It gives you a huge main cabin. The fridge is definitely limiting, no question. I looked at where I could put a bigger one on ours and struck out.

David

If you're over 6', you'll hang off the end of the bed a bit, and you'll have to be pretty cozy with your partner.

And the 34T is definitely a 6-4-2 boat; drink 6, feed 4, sleep 2.

If you're over 6', you'll hang off the end of the bed a bit, and you'll have to be pretty cozy with your partner.

And the 34T is definitely a 6-4-2 boat; drink 6, feed 4, sleep 2.

Hanging off the end of the bed is not my idea of comfort, and I'm 6ft. Lady is barely 5'2" so getting close is no big deal (actually, pretty nice).

Is the Bed in the 40 the same size as the 34? I found the 40 barely enough.

Thx for answers.

I think the bed on the 390, 34T and 400 are all the same. I am 6' and just fit in our 390. Head clearance is an issue on the 390. Not sure about the others. There is less than 2' overall length on all 3 models. The last few 34T's built were called 395 and had a galley up with a stateroom below the galley just like the 350/390 and 400.
John

I think the bed on the 390, 34T and 400 are all the same. I am 6' and just fit in our 390. Head clearance is an issue on the 390. Not sure about the others. There is less than 2' overall length on all 3 models. The last few 34T's built were called 395 and had a galley up with a stateroom below the galley just like the 350/390 and 400.
John

Johnma,

That's interesting, haven't seen any 395s, are they more like the 400?

I really like the galley up, but not a deal killer. Also like a large aft flybridge for toys, etc, but they all seem to do well on that.

I could easily live with the 34 without a second stateroom, a bit lighter, less draft and a bit more economical. However, it's probably small potatoes in the whole scheme. But can anyone tell me the EXACT draft on a 34, from actually measuring it? I'm getting different number. 34 at 3'3", and 40 at 3'8" to 4'.

Behind my house I have my 280 Sundancer which draws 3'3" drives down and I can get it out any time (if off the lift) even at really low tides. If it were 4', I'm sure it would be an issue.... so a rather big deal.

The 34 also carries less gas, water and holding.... not sure if that would be an issue.

Keep the info coming. I like that the 34 is significantly less $.

SeeVee

I HAVE NOT actually measured draft - but attached is the dimensional dwg of my 34HT. I have checked O'all HT when I had it shipped and dwg was right on w/ actual so I'd say the 3' 5" draft is a good #.

I don't know for sure but would guess twins are the same as the sand shoe / bottom of the rudder is the deepest point - and I believe it's the same for twins (single has a substantial tunnel to reduce draft)

Attachments

• MS34HT Trwlr Dimns 2.pdf
    511.3 KB · Views: 42
  • MS34HT Trwlr Dimns 1.pdf
    625.3 KB · Views: 53
SeeVee

I HAVE NOT actually measured draft - but attached is the dimensional dwg of my 34HT. I have checked O'all HT when I had it shipped and dwg was right on w/ actual so I'd say the 3' 5" draft is a good #.

I don't know for sure but would guess twins are the same as the sand shoe / bottom of the rudder is the deepest point - and I believe it's the same for twins (single has a substantial tunnel to reduce draft)

Bacchus,
Good info, thanks. The draft specs I've seen are 3' 4" from a few sources.... pretty close.

Do you know if the galley is "sunken" in most of the years, 2000 thru 2006?

And, there have been comments about how hard the engine is to access, much truth to that?

Thx much for your comments.

I suggested this a month ago when you were asking similar questions:

Finally, there are lots of 350s/390s, 34Ts, and 40s for sale. It is well worth the time to find one of each and wander thru them in-person. You'll quickly find what works for you and what doesn't.

Bacchus,
Good info, thanks. The draft specs I've seen are 3' 4" from a few sources.... pretty close.

Do you know if the galley is "sunken" in most of the years, 2000 thru 2006?

And, there have been comments about how hard the engine is to access, much truth to that?

Thx much for your comments.
I was only on 2007-2008 MY 34T\HT's so can't confirm earlier era layout. I didn't think MS changed layout but someone did mention later MS 34's having galley up which I've never seen.
Engine & gen access on the single 34's are excellent. I have some ER pics if you'd like me to post or email them to you.

Steve Cyr's Stella Blue website has tons of info & pics of his (previous) MS400...ER are essentially the same as beam & engine are the same.

I've had three big males working in the ER at the same time with no issues. I think I could find room for 3 to stretch out and sleep w some padding.
ER access from the aft deck is a real treat vs moving saloon furniture, rugs and hatches. I can do a quick check of Racors and even drain while underway with the admiral at the helm.

Engine & gen access on the single 34's are excellent. I have some ER pics if you'd like me to post or email them to you..........

Don,

Thanks much for the info. If the pix are easy, that would be great. Email: Seevee7@gmail.com.

I was hoping to look at a 34 shortly, but just haven't got there, yet.

In the 34T the engine access is a hatch built into the stairs going to the bridge. The 35/390 engine access is 3 hatches in the main salon/saloon.

Another question....

Are washer/dryer's popular on the 34, and will it fit somewhere easy? Thx

Another question....

Are washer/dryer's popular on the 34, and will it fit somewhere easy? Thx
I've never seen / heard of WD on a MS 34
Doubt it could be done reasonably.
Get on one and I think it will be obvious.

I looked at a 34 a few days ago.

It was a really nice boat, but had way to many negatives over the 40, that only a foot and a half bigger.

The huge differences:
The extra stateroom in the 40, mostly for storage, but great for occasional guests. Sleeping in the salon sucks and the admiral will not approve that.
The overhang on the sides, with the storage for kayaks above. Sure, the 34 is angled for more room above, but isn't needed.
The sunken galley.... HUGE negative as the admiral is out of the conversation loop down there. Our dirt home, the kitchen is the focal point of home and that works great.
The aft flybridge is bigger and has the nice grill, ice or fridge.
Electrical hookup both fore and aft. Not huge but really handy.

A few things that the 34 is better on....
GREAT engine room....could live down there.
Better economy and speed, but not huge numbers.

I could be happy with either, but seems like the 40 has a LOT of advantages.

Seavee, pics I`ve seen of 40s show one side of the main cabin is all galley. Are they all like that? It`s a lot of galley and less space for seating etc. It`s what I have, I`d prefer it otherwise, but it may suit your family. Some seating either side provides a pleasant lounge conversation area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom