Anyone else blocked from Active Captain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coincidentally after getting into a spat with Jeffery_S of Active Captain, I now find myself blocked from Active Captain access. Attempts to log into my account continually say my password is invalid, even though I have verified it with the password recovery feature. This hasn't resolved itself after about a week, so it's not just an AC malfunction.

Has this happened to anyone else here? I have heard indirectly that it has. It all seems rather petty and vindictive, but maybe that's just me.

Yep! Happened to me a couple years ago and I wasn't even part of the discussion that got my AC account closed.

There is life after Active Captain. Don't worry.

He blocked me from his Facebook group but not the Active Captain itself. Interpersonal skills are not his best attribute.

You can always create a new email address on gmail, for example named ISwearILoveJeff at gmail.com and create a new account :D

Understood. I'm just curious how wide-spread the behavior is.

But if I can risk a personal opinion, if it reveals you were really blocked because of the discussion this is a very bad practice in my sense. Expressing a different point of view should not result in being banned from anywhere.

L.

But if I can risk a personal opinion, if it reveals you were really blocked because of the discussion this is a very bad practice in my sense. Expressing a different point of view should not result in being banned from anywhere.

L.

Oh, I agree completely. And it's apparently not just me.

I verified that I can logon. If you believe this was done by the site owner, I would approach the site owner offline and discuss with him directly. I would not air dirty laundry on a public forum. This probably isn't going to help your cause. Publicly disparaging their product and brand is not going to endear yourself to them.

Keep in mind, that while access is open to everyone, it is a privately owned site. Just like forums (this one included), you don't have an inalienable right to have access. You don't have unfettered free speech. The owner can allow or ban whomever they choose for whatever reason they choose.

Understood. I'm just curious how wide-spread the behavior is.
I was blocked out at one time but maybe not even on purpose. His attitude when I said his site was not working properly was in a nurtshell "well that's your problem."

I just deleted the rest of my post. Not worth the effort.

.......... Publicly disparaging their product and brand is not going to endear yourself to them...............

I don't think anyone ever disparaged his product, he just gets into discussions on web forums or facebook and if you push him too far, he punishes you by blocking you. He seems to be one of the "My way or the highway" people.

I verified that I can logon. If you believe this was done by the site owner, I would approach the site owner offline and discuss with him directly. I would not air dirty laundry on a public forum. This probably isn't going to help your cause. Publicly disparaging their product and brand is not going to endear yourself to them.

Keep in mind, that while access is open to everyone, it is a privately owned site. Just like forums (this one included), you don't have an inalienable right to have access. You don't have unfettered free speech. The owner can allow or ban whomever they choose for whatever reason they choose.

There is one problem with this logic. There are companies that pay him to have his "service" on their devices. There are people that buy those devices because of that service(hence the relationship). I would think that those companies would not be too happy about him using his "service" as a personal vendetta.

I would say I do have "an inalienable right" to access when I buy a product based on that access.

Last edited:

..except that AC exists solely by the data contributed by users. While I haven't contributed much my willingness to continue to do so would be directly impacted IF folks are being banned on the basis suggested. To put it another way, if you're asking me to contribute, I have a right to know how my contribution will be used.

My account works fine at the moment.

I have reached out off line.

And I don't think I have said anything disparaging about the site or AC. I have actually been complimentary about it.

I also don't see how sharing my experience is any different from anyone sharing their experience with any other marine business, and is ironically what Active Captain is all about.

I still have access, even after starting a controversial thread about Active Captain here on Trawler Forum.

Who needs activecapt?

Thanks for the knowledge. I will not go there.

Access to information IS the product.

Do the product integration require your personal logon information, or do they ride on a licensing agreement with the 3rd party vendor?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I agree with the policy. I'm just pointing out that regardless of whether he is right or wrong, he has the right to do with his site as he chooses.

Do the product integration require your personal logon information, or do they ride on a licensing agreement with the 3rd party vendor?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I agree with the policy. I'm just pointing out that regardless of whether he is right or wrong, he has the right to do with his site as he chooses.

Yes and we have the right to use a screen name on AC that we don't use anywhere else.

You can always create a new email address on gmail, for example named ISwearILoveJeff at gmail.com and create a new account :D
Mr. JS/AC has posted on TF about identifying people by IP address. It was on a thread about communication signal potentiation, he got into a great disagreement about a product some Aussies said worked when he said it did not, could not, and should be repacked and returned to the supplier. A TFer supporting JS/AC even accused an Aussie member of posting under a screen name other than his usual one, when I asked him, on thread, to supply the "usual " one, he failed to reply.
If you create a new email address for AC you`d better have a new IP address too.

Nope. It requires you to log on. And requires web access to update. I am telling you...companies like Garmin would not be happy. And customers that bought the product because it had AC would not be happy. I bought the app because of AC. And I have to logon to update info.

Mr. JS/AC has posted on TF about identifying people by IP address. It was on a thread about communication signal potentiation, he got into a great disagreement about a product some Aussies said worked when he said it did not, could not, and should be repacked and returned to the supplier. A TFer supporting JS/AC even accused an Aussie member of posting under a screen name other than his usual one, when I asked him, on thread, to supply the "usual " one, he failed to reply.
If you create a new email address for AC you`d better have a new IP address too.

Honestly I do not see any serious forum owner who would identify or filter people based on IP knowing that an IP is transient. You can connect from anywhere, any device so IP is meaningful the time of your connection not more. Moreover nothing more simple than hiding your IP behind a proxy. You could ban an IP but this won't guarantee in any way that the user won't connect anymore, and doing that you can result in banning other people that should not be.
Anyway if one owns a forum or site of AC type and starts banning people based on personal preference and arbitrary decisions he is just putting his business in jeopardy.

Yep, I've been banned too. He can dish it out but he can't take it.

Last edited:

Oh, I agree they have the right to excluded anyone they want. It doesn't mean it's a good practice or good for business, but I agree they are entitled to.

Access to the data requires registration and logging on.

I don't use AC and therefore wouldn't mind being banned, but surprisingly enough, even though I learned how to use the ignore feature just for him, I continue to receive AC emails. Maybe this post will inspire him, unless he has already "ignored" me here.

Last edited:
I don't use AC and therefore wouldn't mind being banned, but surprisingly enough, even though I learned how to use the ignore feature just for him, I continue to receive AC emails. Maybe this post will inspire him, unless he has already "ignored" me here.
Is that on TF? I don`t think he is currently posting. Or is it "spam" advertising emails from AC? (Or "AK", "Active Kitchen", which I coined when JS got into vigorous argument about food and nutrition).

Is that on TF? I don`t think he is currently posting. Or is it "spam" advertising emails from AC? (Or "AK", "Active Kitchen", which I coined when JS got into vigorous argument about food and nutrition).

LOL maybe you gave him some idea of starting a cooking forum :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom