Replacing Kill Switch on Cat 3208TA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceancrosser

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kristine
Vessel Make
DeFever 53 POC
Hello,

I recently came back to the marina and the port engine would not shut down with the kill switch from either location (pilot house or bridge).

I gently "tapped" the kill switch on the engine and she began to work as advertised.

With this in mind, I have decided to replace the kill switch but not having done this before, my question is..... is this a "DIY" project or do I need to bring in outside experts?

I do understand which end of the wrench to use and I'm married to a Diesel mechanic's daughter, so I am assured of advice from the wife!:smitten:

Has anyone done this before.

Thanks,

Rusty Bliss
M/V Kristine
DeFever 53 POC
Orange Beach, AL

Rusty, I am sure you can find instructions somewhere. I am sure someone on TF has performed this task. BTW Welcome aboard

So is this "energize to stop" or is it "energize to run"? 3208 can have either. If ETR and no shutdown, something is binding or staying energized. Check with meter. If ETS and no shutdown, volts might be low. Check with meter at solenoid screws.

Solenoid is easy to replace. Wire screws and two screws holding it down. No worries about fuel leaks.

So is this "energize to stop" or is it "energize to run"? 3208 can have either. If ETR and no shutdown, something is binding or staying energized. Check with meter. If ETS and no shutdown, volts might be low. Check with meter at solenoid screws.

Solenoid is easy to replace. Wire screws and two screws holding it down. No worries about fuel leaks.

Not sure it would be the solenoid as she wrote that by taping gently the switch it worked, maybe just switch corrosion?

L.

Hmmm, ETR or ETS, I didn't know there were two options on the engine. I can easily check those out. Thanks for the guidance.

Regarding the "gentle tapping", actually that was more tongue in cheek. I would increase the effort after each attempt until the solenoid worked correctly. However, not aggressive enough do damage, just enough to hopefully move a corroded switch!

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Rusty Bliss
Kristine
DeFever 53 POC
Orange Beach, AL

Another ASD Upgrade

The Admiral wanted to do some interior upgrades, so she decided to replace the carpet, bathroom floor tile and backsplash behind the sink.

She used Shaw marine carpet, with foam padding in the staterooms and salon. In the sundeck and flybridge she had the carpet binding sewn on with snaps.

Turned out pretty good. She did a great job!:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_4142.jpg
    IMG_4142.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4143.jpg
    IMG_4143.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4151.jpg
    IMG_4151.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4167.jpg
    IMG_4167.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4165.jpg
    IMG_4165.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4183.jpg
    IMG_4183.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4185.jpg
    IMG_4185.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4186.jpg
    IMG_4186.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 47
Hmmm, ETR or ETS, I didn't know there were two options on the engine. I can easily check those out. Thanks for the guidance.

Regarding the "gentle tapping", actually that was more tongue in cheek. I would increase the effort after each attempt until the solenoid worked correctly. However, not aggressive enough do damage, just enough to hopefully move a corroded switch!

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Rusty Bliss
Kristine
DeFever 53 POC
Orange Beach, AL

Hey Rusty,
Glad to see you made it to Orange Beach. I am headed that way next week, God willing and the crick don't rise..
Had the same issue on my stbd engine. Had to tap the solenoid. So I took the boot cover off the solenoid and hit the plunger with a squirt of WD40. Did the trick.

.............Regarding the "gentle tapping", actually that was more tongue in cheek. I would increase the effort after each attempt until the solenoid worked correctly. However, not aggressive enough do damage, just enough to hopefully move a corroded switch!..........

We used to call that "Percussive maintenance". ;)

Yea, the WD40 might help if you hit the right place.

Back
Top Bottom