Battery in the upper deck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Gents

Greetings to all. I hope you are all enjoying summertime.

I am re-touching the electrical system of my boat.

The guy helping me with that says that due to the application that I want to give to the boat, cruising + more cruising, I should have a dedicated battery up on the saloon only for electronics and radios, because, in case of a disaster event with the engine room flowed, I will have communications until the last minute...do you agree or is this being excessively preventive?

Stay well

Fernando

Hi Fernando,

A "radio battery"*positioned above the weather deck is a requirement for Survey (Safe Ship Management) in this part of the world and, in any case,*is good electrical practice.

Since our boat is ex-commercial, it already had a battery fitted in the wheel house.

Cheers,

-- Edited by Bendit on Sunday 19th of June 2011 02:58:18 PM

Good idea, but a GPIRB and handheld radio would be another option.

Go for it if it's not too much trouble. I only see good reasons to do it this way.

What about charging and additional*wiring?* If the engine rooms floods what electronics are you going to need other than*EPRIB & hand held VHF?* Maybe for an emergency pump?*

-- Edited by Larry M on Sunday 19th of June 2011 06:40:41 PM

Fernando,
Like Jeff b a radio battery located in the wheelhouse section of the vessel is a survey requirement here in Aus.
I built my boat to survey requirements and so have such a set up.
The battery is installed under the console and is charged in tandem with the generator start battery or could be wired in as a supplemental charge from the Inverter/Charger if one is being installed.
An EPIRB and a handheld VHF are also required and carried in addition to the above.

Thanks Fernando.

If the generator battery becomes unusable(shorted)due to being in sea water woundn't that also disable the upper battery?

Bill

Sailor of Fortune wrote:This is an ABS requirement in the U.S also.
*It is actually a SOLAS requirement, codified into US law by the FCC in 47CFR80.

ABS includes it in their survey checklist because they can issue the statutory certificate on behalf of flag. About all the USCG issues anymore is Certificate of Document and COI.

GUYS:

Thank you very much for your input. If it is mandatory I'll do it!

Fernando

Portuguese wrote:If it is mandatory I'll do it!
*Unless your vessel is required to have a radio station, it is not mandatory.

ABS and SOLAS what class/type*of boat is required?* What is menat by radio station?
You might need DC power for the mast and boom winches and having a separate battery bank is easier and cheaper than running battery cable, which could also be used as back up for the electronics.** I*installed*12 Volt, 1 ton winchs*with a 6 ft wrire remote for the*mast and boom.*

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Tuesday 21st of June 2011 09:54:19 AM

As Rick has stated if it is not mandatory for your requirements then there is no need.
I did it as at the time I was building my boat to survey requirements and also I like the fact of having this insurance.
That also means that other ancilliary equipment will not draw from this battery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom