Inside Florida keys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ole Hank

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hanks Dream
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler44
I plan on cruising from Biscayne Bay to Key West in a 44 ft trawler with 42" draft. Does anyone have any knowledge on if there are any problem areas including Dusenberry creek and Bowles Cut? Appreciate your help.

Terry. I draw 4 feet and have never had a problem except for lobster floats, I go oceanside from Marathon to KW.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. The only time we did that run was in an 18' bowrider (Ft. Lauderdale to Key West) so I can't comment as to logistics BUT it is a wonderful stretch of water. I'm jealous.

Terry. I draw 4 feet and have never had a problem except for lobster floats, I go oceanside from Marathon to KW.

Thanks I appreciate comment. Looking at the charts I assume you go through Dusenberry creek and Bowles Cut. Seems like there is really one common route.

Is this the back country route through Jewfish creek? Or the Hawk channel route? I've gone both at 3' draw and never felt concerned about depth.

Went to down to Islamorada 2 weeks ago and back no problems with a 50 inch draft.

Can't really trust your charts...90 percent of the time they are pretty close, then other times they will be several feet off...maybe a bit of wind tide in some of the sounds.

Sometimes they can be as much as 5 to 15 feet different (rare) but usually deeper when this far off.

Many approaches to land such as bars and marinas have more water than the chart shows. There won't be a charted channel that may be 5 feet deep, but all the soundings around it are much less.

Is this the back country route through Jewfish creek? Or the Hawk channel route? I've gone both at 3' draw and never felt concerned about depth.

Back country through Jew fish. Have you gone all the way to key west?

Hi Scott

The main marked channel is fairly accurate in my opinion however the wind and move some water out of the basins in the Everglades. I've fished that area for 60 years and have seen some strange tides that were effected by strong wind. Certain tides will effect the flow of water.

Went to down to Islamorada 2 weeks ago and back no problems with a 50 inch draft.

Can't really trust your charts...90 percent of the time they are pretty close, then other times they will be several feet off...maybe a bit of wind tide in some of the sounds.

Sometimes they can be as much as 5 to 15 feet different (rare) but usually deeper when this far off.

Many approaches to land such as bars and marinas have more water than the chart shows. There won't be a charted channel that may be 5 feet deep, but all the soundings around it are much less.

Great. Thanks for your comments. Gives me some comfort.

Terry. The backcountry route once past Marathon has had many of the markers blown away so I will either go ocean side (shorter) or Gulf side which are both well marked. My route is determined by the wind. I have gone backcountry all the way but only in twin outboard and ended up reading the water as I went once the markers with T U.

Back country through Jew fish. Have you gone all the way to key west?

Yes, a couple times all the way to KW. No problems. There is a remnant of the ICW inside on the back country, you don't want to follow that. From around Marathon west, pick your way to N of the reef line and you will be fine.

Terry. The backcountry route once past Marathon has had many of the markers blown away so I will either go ocean side (shorter) or Gulf side which are both well marked. My route is determined by the wind. I have gone backcountry all the way but only in twin outboard and ended up reading the water as I went once the markers with T U.

Thanks again.

"No pictures ....."
Here's one!

3039406617_2360a8cbed_z.jpg

Yes, a couple times all the way to KW. No problems. There is a remnant of the ICW inside on the back country, you don't want to follow that. From around Marathon west, pick your way to N of the reef line and you will be fine.

The charts still show a route that has StMiles. Looks pretty good except for one spot close to Big Spanish Key. Is this the route you said not to take? Is so why?

I'm a bit confused. When you say Gulf Side and back country. Leaving from Marathon what's the difference.

From Marathon west to KW, you have three choices: Back country inside (old ICW), back country N of the reef line (aka gulf side) or Hawk channel, S of the keys. For four foot draw, from Marathon west if you want to go back country, go to the deep water just N of the islands and reefs. Like N of Content, Sawyer, etc. Then duck back in when you get close to KW. The old ICW inside back country is pretty much abandoned. Ok for outboards, maybe.

From Marathon west to KW, you have three choices: Back country inside (old ICW), back country N of the reef line (aka gulf side) or Hawk channel, S of the keys. For four foot draw, from Marathon west if you want to go back country, go to the deep water just N of the islands and reefs. Like N of Content, Sawyer, etc. Then duck back in when you get close to KW. The old ICW inside back country is pretty much abandoned. Ok for outboards, maybe.

Thanks. Clears it up.

For your boat I would either go Hawks Channel (south) or Gulf side (north) depending on wind. The old back country channel, very shallow has few markers remaining for the past 15 years.

My DeFever 48 had no issues with that run. Also keep in mind your talking about sand so so what if you bump, you'll just be scraping of some barnacles:lol:

42" Draft is no problem in the ICW (Gulfside, backside, bayside, back country) from Miami to Marathon, then switch to Hawks Channel (Oceanside) for the run to Key West. There is no water for your boat on the backside from 7 mile bridge (Marathon, Moser Channel) West to Key West unless you choose to go all the way to the Gulf which is a waste of time.

The run down Biscayne Bay is straightforward to Featherbeds where you must stay in the channel, then mark to mark to any of several places to switch to Hawks Channel. I would choose to switch at Channel 5 at Islamorada / Lower Matecumbe because the ICW is pretty boring from there West and Hawks Channel is very straightforward.

Cruising the Florida Keys by Capn Frank Pappy is money well spent.

:socool:

42" Draft is no problem in the ICW (Gulfside, backside, bayside, back country) from Miami to Marathon, then switch to Hawks Channel (Oceanside) for the run to Key West. There is no water for your boat on the backside from 7 mile bridge (Marathon, Moser Channel) West to Key West unless you choose to go all the way to the Gulf which is a waste of time.

The run down Biscayne Bay is straightforward to Featherbeds where you must stay in the channel, then mark to mark to any of several places to switch to Hawks Channel. I would choose to switch at Channel 5 at Islamorada / Lower Matecumbe because the ICW is pretty boring from there West and Hawks Channel is very straightforward.

Cruising the Florida Keys by Capn Frank Pappy is money well spent.

:socool:

Much appreciated.

For your boat I would either go Hawks Channel (south) or Gulf side (north) depending on wind. The old back country channel, very shallow has few markers remaining for the past 15 years.

Bigs fish. Just wondering about your comment regarding wind. I'm heading back from key west this week. They are calling for east to NE winds 20 kts Would it likely to be much calmer taking the gulf route?

If you will cut in at Marathon and take the bay channel then the Atlantic should be fine close to shore especially if the winds are more from the north.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom