Electric built in oven for trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matsopenny

We are updating the galley on our 40' trawler and are having trouble finding an electric oven. Anyone out there that has updated from LP to electric and has a recommendation for an electric oven? Greatly appreciated.

Interesting post. While I am not going to have any help for your particular inquiry nor do I wish to threaten the thread, just yesterday visiting a friends 37 foot boat with new additions being placed, one of which is a "Magnetic stove Top'

Induction Cooktops | Magnetic Electric Induction Stovetops

This friend removed his propane stove/oven replaced the stove top with this unit and placed his micro-wave below in the former location of the propane stove's oven.

The cook top will consume 6 amp which is unbelievable in terms of what can be of benefit. With normal amps around 10 amps running, the use of the stove underway is nil in terms of amp draw. On the hook, with a inverter and a fair bank of house battery one would not be concerned of cooking with the gen set off.

He acturally gained an additional drawer as a result of the installation.

Good luck on finding a stand alone oven,

Al-Ketchikan

We are updating the galley on our 40' trawler and are having trouble finding an electric oven. Anyone out there that has updated from LP to electric and has a recommendation for an electric oven? Greatly appreciated.

By the way, welcome:flowers: to the forum, I hadn't noticed this your first post:banghead:
Trust you will provide us with good news on your success.

Al-Ketchikan

We are installing an induction 2 burner stove top for the exact reasons you mention. I love to cook and we live on our boat 3 - 6 months a year so would prefer a "real" oven versus a microwave. About the only thing I microwave is popcorn. Having a dickens of a time finding a built in oven that is electric.

Some high end microwaves have a convection selection .

A stove top requiring 6A of 120V can cost 65A of 12V DC to create.

Using a 2 burner stove could require double or 130A of 12V DC.

Batts live longest if long discharge loads are under about 10% of their rating.

So 1300 AH of batt bank might be required to function well.

This might equate to 1300 LBS of batterys.

Most people run the electric stove/oven with a generator when away from the marina.

When we are on battery we generally grill, we tend to run the gen about an hour morning and evening when anchored and i usually cook etc. when the generator is running. I know electric appliances are a draw and are a detriment to many, I am a bit phobic about LP on a boat. The trade off is worth it to me even though it is less convenient.

I've been looking at some of the higher end standalone convection ovens, countertop or built-in.
This is just a sample, there are many other types/styles: https://countertopconvectionovenjudge.com/
We were not considering a countertop model - preferring to have a built in oven instead. I would guess that the different venting requirements would preclude placing a countertop model in a cabinet. Does anyone have any experience with this?

We were not considering a countertop model - preferring to have a built in oven instead. I would guess that the different venting requirements would preclude placing a countertop model in a cabinet. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Ours is a countertop combination microwave/convection oven... built into cabinetry above the cooktop (resting on a big shelf that connects cabinets on either side).

Happens there's boatloads of space behind it, so venting hasn't been an issue. There's no dedicated vent line attachment, just lots of free space back there.

-Chris

"Most people run the electric stove/oven with a generator when away from the marina. "

true but the OP said,

"On the hook, with a inverter and a fair bank of house battery one would not be concerned of cooking with the gen set off."

Our new RV came with a built in to a locker microwave -convection oven.

High Pointe EC028KD

They have other sizes.

Last edited:
"Most people run the electric stove/oven with a generator when away from the marina. "

true but the OP said,

"On the hook, with a inverter and a fair bank of house battery one would not be concerned of cooking with the gen set off."

FF- I was doubtful of the statistic when the owner proffered it. Not being a "Wiz" on electrical demand in such a conversion. Said as I relate to what my toaster and coffee pot calls for when I plug these in under power through the 1800 Watt inverter. The amp gage bangs over to over 30 plus amp draw.
I personally do not use these appliances when on the hook and no gen set engaged. Actually, even when running, i watch the amp gage when the high demand is showing.
This watchful eye can be charged to wondering if the high demand is hard on the alternator (95 amp Delco Remy) when initially engaged in random uses.

Appreciate your often given information on series of subjects. Thanks

Al-Ketchikan

Thanks for all your info and advice - greatly appreciated!! Have history with LP - bad experience, so going all electric (even though there are many cons) is the route we want to go. I am looking into Convection/microwave alternative as suggested by so many here. THANKS to all who offered advice/help.

Ours is Viking, and from what I understand it is not, and is not "required" to be, marine. We also have a Viking gas (propane, although it can be easily re-jetted to CNG) cook top.

Some of the counter top models of convection microwave and also some of the ones for built in get very hot to the touch. An issue that is often over looked and not expected.

I read a convection microwave oven on convection needs to cool down before using the microwave function?
What I read was person prefered keeping these functions in separate appliances. Say your cooking with convection heat but then need to microwave something.

The induction tops are a great idea.

Yes, we have separate convection ovens and microwave on work boat and I plan on doing same on personal boat.

Attachments

• IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 60
We put a convection oven into a previous boat. To get the heat out, I put a 120V bilge blower hooked to a relay so that when the oven was on the blower would extract the heat and exhaust it overboard. Worked well. I didn't want to over heat the cabinet and also didn't want all that extra heat inside the cabin for the A/C to deal with.

We rebui,lt the galley 18 months ago. Put in whirlpool oven and fridge. Both have failed, contacted whirlpool, please contact a whirlpool licenced repair facility. Now as some of my fellow TF's will know I'm in the Caribbean. Whirlpools answer is you will have to return to the U.S. Ummh! So why do you sell your stuff outside the U.S. and not service it? Don't know. Can I speak to the tech? After being pased round for a couple of hours I get the tech, can't speak to you your not a licenced tech. Tech slams phone down after being somewhat rude. In all I've probably spent 20 hrs on the phone from the Caribbean. Since diagnosed the problems myself (and the internet). The moral is not to touch Whirlpool! As a rejoinder to whirlpool my wife and I have rental properties, which will never see another whirlpool appliance. Sadly when in a more favourable port the whirlpool apliances will be removed and trashed, no point giving poor appliances away. These are high end appliances!

true but the OP said,

My sincerest apologies. It looks like that was modified by the time I posted. I don't see that in the original post. I do see it in the responses.

We have a GE Advantage Convection Oven / Microwave that is a wall mount unit. It is mounted below the electric stove top, and runs on 120v.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom