Need Help With Active Captain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
On AC is there a way to determine mileage from one point to another

Here is what I do:

I use AC in conjunction with Garmin Blue Charts. All AC data is overlaid on the chart. Blue charts has a spreader capability so I can do a rough eyeball of distances between points. If going down the ICW, I look at mileage markers on the chart.

I have never used AC as a standalone, but watched a friend try it. It was more cumbersome than using it with Blue Charts.

Gordon

On AC is there a way to determine mileage from one point to another

Yes.

While in Live Map mode, put your cursor on the starting point and hold down the left button. A data box will pop up and then hit "Measure Path". Then move the cursor to your next point and do the same. A data box will open and hit "Add waypoint here". A new point will be added and the mileage will be shown. Then continue to link more waypoints the same way and the mileage will build up accordingly. Hit cancel to delete all.

I use a short vertical display laptop and I have to position the map so that where I enter the next waypoint on the map is near the center, otherwise it won't accept the entry. This will be less of a problem with full displays.

You can move each waypoint as well as the end point after entering just by floating the cursor over it, left click and hold while you slide it.

If you want to save the route, then hit "To Route" in the measure path data box. Then go through the data entry. It seems like you have to do it twice to get it to save to AC's database. But when it is saved you will see the route by clicking the My Card tab on the left. You can export the route by clicking details after selecting that route and download a GPX file that most GPS and chartplotters recognize.

David

Last edited:
Yes.

While in Live Map mode, put your cursor on the starting point and hold down the left button. A data box will pop up and then hit "Measure Path". Then move the cursor to your next point and do the same. A data box will open and hit "Add waypoint here". A new point will be added and the mileage will be shown. Then continue to link more waypoints the same way and the mileage will build up accordingly. Hit cancel to delete all.

:Thanx: Learn something new everyday.

Ted

David,

Can you do this on an iPad?

Gordon

David,

Gordon

Not the David you were referring to but I don't believe the live map will work in the IOS or Android apps. You can use some iPad Nav apps that have integrated AC functionality however.

David,

Gordon

No. Live Map requires Flash and iPad and Android tablets do not support Flash. Other tablet nav apps like Navimatics or Plan2Nav have their own (somewhat rudimentary by comparison) distance measuring tools.

David

I use it on my laptop and love it. I also have interface with AC on Coastal Explorer...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom