Talk me out of it - 57'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montenido

Vessel Name
Ansedonia
Vessel Make
Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Hi folks,

I know this is a silly thing to consider, but I recently saw a boat that is longer than what I am looking for, but that has everything that I could ask for at a great price. I am looking for some thing in the 50' range that has at least two real staterooms, with real beds, and other sleeping areas as well. Also, low hour Cats, a large genny, and great overall condition.

Since I will be returning to Mexico in this next boat, I require certain extras such as a water maker, air cond., and maybe a bow thruster and stablizers. These are all pricey items to add myself, so I'm trying to look at boats that already have some or all of these features.

So far, I have seen one boat in nice shape that has ALL of these items already installed and functioning. The problem is that the boat is 57' long. I am thinking that the extra length will bite me in the end with higher associated costs for moorage, haul outs, etc..

Please remind me that this is not a good idea, simply based on added features aboard.

Thanks, Bill

Greetings,
Mr. M.

giphy.gif

Well, I tried...

Monte,

You might find some guidance from dswizzler, a TF member with a 58 Vantare in La Paz and the Sea of Cortez. He's been down there for almost 2 years living aboard while cruising. If a PM doesn't reach him, PM me and I'll forward your contact info to him.

Hi folks,

I know this is a silly thing to consider, but I recently saw a boat that is longer than what I am looking for, but that has everything that I could ask for at a great price. I am looking for some thing in the 50' range that has at least two real staterooms, with real beds, and other sleeping areas as well. Also, low hour Cats, a large genny, and great overall condition.

Since I will be returning to Mexico in this next boat, I require certain extras such as a water maker, air cond., and maybe a bow thruster and stablizers. These are all pricey items to add myself, so I'm trying to look at boats that already have some or all of these features.

So far, I have seen one boat in nice shape that has ALL of these items already installed and functioning. The problem is that the boat is 57' long. I am thinking that the extra length will bite me in the end with higher associated costs for moorage, haul outs, etc..

Please remind me that this is not a good idea, simply based on added features aboard.

Thanks, Bill

Not sure I understand why you'd ask to be talked out of it. You need to figure things out yourself. What is it you want as a response here? If you want people here to talk you out of it, then clearly you think it's wrong for you so don't do it. If you simply want people here to say go for it, then that's what you're thinking and should do. Don't ever let people here talk you out of what is right for you.

You know the downsides, really just costs of docking, haulouts, cleaning, painting, etc. You are the only one who knows if those differences are significant to you and fit your potential budget.

What's not to like? You were shopping "in the 50' range" and that could well have ended up really at 53' or 54' or whatever. An extra 7' isn't a huge expense difference from 50', and 57' is even less different from 53' or 54'...

You've shopped on feature you need and want, the boat has the features you need and want... just get on with it.

Easy for me to spend other folks' money, of course. :)

-Chris

You have forgotten the first rule of boat shopping. Boats pick you; you don't pick them. If you're looking for help from an online support group, it's already too late. Resistance is futile. :rolleyes:

Ted

A used 45 footer can cost more than a 55 footer to keep all depends on the boat and how much you know and can do for your self. If you will be completely dependent on yards and pros the larger size will hurt more maybe not as much in Mexico that I don't know just a guess.

A used 45 footer can cost more than a 55 footer to keep all depends on the boat and how much you know and can do for your self. If you will be completely dependent on yards and pros the larger size will hurt more maybe not as much in Mexico that I don't know just a guess.

I'd figure 7' will cost him between $2000 and $3000 per year if paying for all services. Could be as low as $1000-1500. Now, none of us knows the significance of that to him. But when he lists all costs of owning a boat, he'll know where he stands.

I'd figure 7' will cost him between $2000 and $3000 per year if paying for all services. Could be as low as $1000-1500.

And where did you pull those numbers from?

And where did you pull those numbers from?

Out of the air!

7' of dockage I figured somewhere between $7 a month and $15 a month where he is, so $600-1200, plus add some when cruising, an additional $1 or $2 per night so $7-$14 when at a marina. So figure 30-50 marina nights at $300-500. I figured an annual haul at $50. I figured divers at $30 a year extra. Then bottom paint I added $300-600 as the boat's not only longer but wider so add paint and labor. Could be annually or bi-annually. Then down the road you have painting the boat. Probably some years away. 7' longer also is more likely to use more or different dockside power so can be an upcharge there. Don't know the configuration. If you get someone to periodically wash it down, there's a cost there of a few dollars each time.

They are just ball park numbers as we don't have specifics from him, just saying there is a modest additional cost based on size. In comparison to all else, it's small. However, if one's budget is already tight, it may be significant.

In your message I see a an who found his baby but try to get a reason he does not have not to do it. You like it? Life is short and we only have one, no time to waste so do it do it do it, and do it now before it is too late!

" Please remind me that this is not a good idea, simply based on added features aboard."

There are only a few potential show stoppers that I can think of that may stop you...
- where you intend to have a home port the length will not work
- same with the beam
- at your home site the ability to pull the boat out of the water cannot accommodate the extra size or weight
- the draft will cause an issue near home or at intended cruising grounds.
- same with the air draft for clearances

Good luck with the search

Hi folks,

Thanks, Bill
What you describe as your "want" sounds like a pricey boat at least to my pocketbook, perhaps $750k or more. Even if much less than that, you are already committed to a boat of more than 50 feet. Compare 53 to 57 feet. At $2/foot for a slip that would be $8/night as a transient. A dealbreaker? Doesn't make sense to me.

You guys really suck at trying to talk him OUT of it. :) :dance::rofl:

What you describe as your "want" sounds like a pricey boat at least to my pocketbook, perhaps $750k or more. Even if much less than that, you are already committed to a boat of more than 50 feet. Compare 53 to 57 feet. At $2/foot for a slip that would be $8/night as a transient. A dealbreaker? Doesn't make sense to me.

Not sure why you think his wants equal a $750k boat. I have a 52' boat that has everything in his list and I am all in at under $250k

Most folks have 2-foot-itis some time after they have bought their boat. So go for the 57' one and solve a future problem now!

If boat size cost is an issue with maintenance, depending on your area, there are seasons for boat yards and special pricing for haulouts in the off season. Yards that cater to commercial boats are usually less expensive and in my area have winter specials. I'm close to Canada and when the exchange rate is favorable, Canadian yards can save you money, but the paint costs more. I like a boat big enough for house size appliances, laundry, better ride, etc.

Thanks for the great replies so far. Lots to consider and weigh. Part of me thinks I should buy a beater and fix it up, but I've gone that route before, and it is a lot of work. Another part of me wants to buy a turn-key boat, and pay for that privilege, saving time spent fixing everything.

Here is a link to the boat I am talking about.
1990 Kha Shing 58 Spindrift Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

BTW, I don't think the additional costs will kill me, but the additional size might limit where I can dock. And so the looking continues...

Cheers, Bill

If this boat has a survey that suggests it's only half as good as the photos suggest, what are you waiting for? Seven feet longer than you thought you needed when one is already convinced that 50' is necessary suggests your not sure of 50' IMO.
I look at boats from this perspective:
30-40 footers
40-50 footers
50-60 footers, etc.

Never known anyone to be thinking that several feet above the 50' category was a deal breaker.

Best of luck in your decision.

Last edited:
Nice boat at a good price that has everything you want. If this boat is calling your name, grab it before someone else does.

Thanks for the great replies so far. Lots to consider and weigh. Part of me thinks I should buy a beater and fix it up, but I've gone that route before, and it is a lot of work. Another part of me wants to buy a turn-key boat, and pay for that privilege, saving time spent fixing everything.

Here is a link to the boat I am talking about.
1990 Kha Shing 58 Spindrift Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

BTW, I don't think the additional costs will kill me, but the additional size might limit where I can dock. And so the looking continues...

Cheers, Bill

Photos look nice. Have you seen the boat in person? Does it look like the photos? If you haven't seen it, why not? Might want to before someone else you just made aware of it grabs it.

Not sure why you think his wants equal a $750k boat. I have a 52' boat that has everything in his list and I am all in at under $250k

Okay, $250k. Even at that price is a few dollars per night extra truly a deal breaker with all else considered?

Wow... that is a lot of boat! When we were shopping about 1.5 years ago, I was pretty overwhelmed when we looked at a 52... same make I think. We opted for smaller and newer. But I can see your hesitation. She's a big girl. Just keeping her clean would be a big chore.

I'm in a suicidal mode.. do it, man!..
Not need to thanks me later... ;)

Okay, $250k. Even at that price is a few dollars per night extra truly a deal breaker with all else considered?

Not in my opinion. I buddy boat with my friends on a 57' Carver and I'm on my 52' Cheoy Lee. Our costs are very similar for fuel consumption, dockage, haul out, insurance etc. we have yet to find a place that couldn't accept both our boats at the same time. He sometimes has to pay a dollar or two more for slip rent but often the slip rent is by the size of the stall and we both need a 60' stall.
I would say our total cost to operate per year is within a couple of percent of each other. His might actually be a little cheaper because my boat is older and therefore need some more maintenance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom