Propane tank lockers for 2 20lb propane tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grahamdouglass

Vessel Name
Summer Wind 1
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 41
I am considering moving my propane tanks. Presently they are on top of the after cabin deck, forward port side. Tight to the main cabin bulkhead and fly-bridge stairs. I want to re-position the tanks on top of the after cabin deck, forward midships. This would facilitate running the propane line directly to the stove and not routing the propane line through the engine room or routing the hose in a clumsy fashion around the stairs leading to the fly-bridge. This all comes about because the original copper pipe's life has run its course and may have developed corrosion from the action of propane on copper after 30 years. At least this is what the surveyor said after he noticed a reduced pressure at the tank.

My present propane locker is nothing more that a teak box that encloses the propane bottles. Its two redeeming features are a lid and two vent holes on the bottom.

The only propane locker I can find is a Trident propane locker, which comes with a pressure valve and solenoid. (Google Trident Propane Locker, its beautifull) I already have a pressure valve and solenoid and spending $1300, on sale, for a fiberglass box seems a little steep.

Is making my own box the only alternative? The present box won't fit the new spot because of a window and and a sealed electrical box.

Are there RV outdoor propane boxes? Any thing marine costs 10x the cost of RV and sometimes there is no justification.

Any thoughts on an outside Propane locker that will hold 2 20lb Propane tanks.

Unless there are 'Rules', here in Alaska common sense plays a big part in our freedom to ab lib on many levels. Having said, Given a top side storage, but not picturing the window/electrical box, taking my top deck as a visual, I would use a 120 quart cooler as the basis and modify it to allow what ever exits were required.
I have our 2000 Honda in such a cooler. Happy that my propane is factory located under the fly bridge control panel quite out of the way and vented properly.

Al-Ketchikan 27' Marben pocket Cruiser

Sounds like all you really need is a new line. Mine is fuel grade rubber. Won't degrade with 30 more years of propane in it.

I replaced the copper line with a rubber line 8 years ago. But the line runs through the engine room. Works fine, but selling a vessel, with propane line, even if the line is in a conduit, which it is, isn't good. A propane line can't follow the same route of the copper line because because there is no room for the neoprene propane line. The original propane line was run before the teak interior was installed.

Are there RV outdoor propane boxes? Any thing marine costs 10x the cost of RV and sometimes there is no justification.

Any thoughts on an outside Propane locker that will hold 2 20lb Propane tanks.

You can certainly check at an RV store but what I've seen is just the tanks, out in the open. An RV is quite different from a boat. There's no hull to collect explosive fumes, everything is carried away by the breeze.

There is certainly more than one manufacturer of ABYC compliant propane lockers so I suggest shopping around. And if you already have some of the parts and they are reusable, ask if you can just buy the bare locker.

Remember to use only ABYC approved parts and installation methods.

Greetings,
Mr. g. Why not just move your existing box and run new line or, failing that, make a new box to...ahem...ABYC standards and install it where you want it?

A possible solution

I just talked to my yacht club neighbour and he said a local plastics/fiberglass company will make any size box to order. So I will investigate this. It seems like a pretty good solution. The only reason I am doing this, is because the job I did 8 years ago looks a little clumsy and untidy. The existing box is too big to fit in the new location and I will probably use it as an odds and ends locker.

If you go to my albums you can see the teak propane box on the after cabin deck on the port side. I just want to locate a locker on the other side of the fly bridge stairs.

I just talked to my yacht club neighbour and he said a local plastics/fiberglass company will make any size box to order. So I will investigate this............

That should be fine as long as it complies with the ABYC specifications. Make sure they know this.
And of course, make sure your installation is ABYC compliant.

WesK; There is certainly more than one manufacturer of ABYC compliant propane lockers so I suggest shopping around. And if you already have some of the parts and they are reusable said:
I have been doing Internet searches for a couple of months and nothing but the expensive ones pop up. There must be some price fixing and collusion going on. :banghead:

I would take one for two 10# tanks or one 20# tank.

It sounds to me as if you don't need a propane tight locker like the $1,300 one. If I understand your description correctly, both the current and the new locations are on top of the aft cabin. The current locker seems to just dump through the hole in the bottom of the locker if the regulator or hose fails. So all you need to do is keep the weather off of the propane tanks, regulator and solenoid valve. An RV tank cover should work fine.

See: 20 lb. Double, Diamond Plate Silver Propane Tank Cover - ADCO 2712 - Propane Tank Covers - Camping World

You will also need mount your tanks securely to the cabin top. You could use a pair of these plastic boots: Black Tank Foot - Mr. Heater F273169-6 - Propane Accessories - Camping World

The more traditional way is with steel bracket, but these are not good on a boat: https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-KT20MNT-Propane-Cylinder/dp/B00IZCNOVC. If you were to coat them well with Rustoleum before using, they might hold up pretty well. They would be hidden under the cover.

David

Last edited:
Trident has a new poly tank holder out now a bit more reasonable. Only one tank but with all new equipment it is 599. It is hard to meet ABYC standards for marine propane, especially in the vent. It must have its own drain line to a point below the sheer line with a thru hull. I'm going to remove the old copper line to the stove and run both supply and vent from the flybridge to the stove and the vent thru the floor in the bilge to a thru hull. It's a pain but I need insurance.

Trident Fiberglass LPG / Propane Gas System Single Tank Locker with Tank

Perhaps a local carpenter could just recreate your current box with whatever changes you need ?

Aaaaaa common sense! This post replaces the one composed and discarded.

How complicated can it be!

Al-Ketchikan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom