Bad Day for a Yacht Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
The article says the mishap was a result of A line breaking. Seems there should have been more than one line securing the vessel particularly if strong winds were expected or if the vessel was to be left unattended.

hard to tell if there was any wave action from some stills, but is it just me or does that seem like a lot of damage from drifting into *anything*?

The line from the Portside, stern hawse hole is still attached in the photos, indicating that the yacht was stern tied to the Quay, leaving room for two or three more mega yachts to stern tie between that one and the protruding quay upon which the Paradise impaled herself. That is a common way to get a large number of mega yachts to the quay in the Med. The line that failed was likely from amidships or further forward, on the port side, and its loss would allow the bow to swing towards the impaling quay. Large fibreglass object vs immovable concrete object, didn't have a chance.

Greetings,
The article says the mishap was a result of A line breaking. Seems there should have been more than one line securing the vessel particularly if strong winds were expected or if the vessel was to be left unattended.

Sometimes when boats are for sale, as this one reportedly was, this sort of thing happens.

Actually the cause was a huge swell that came through without warning. They've had similar in that area several times in the past with hundreds of boats damaged. Seems every few years they have anything from Force 6 to Force 9.

Here are a couple of photos.

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• swell.jpg
    swell.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Mediteranée sea can be tricky weather can be really tricky and hard if few hours ...

This is really specious place, you going at sea on morning and can be impraticable the afternoon.

but this type of boat and this area I can tell you that may be not bad day for owner, this really ofter don't take care about the boat and philosophy very ofter that

Nice this boat was nightmare all family was sick all time, good I try to sale since years insurance going to be my buyer...

Or Nice we going to boy bigger boat, we lucky !!!

But I can be wrong too ...

Hugues

yes sure, I know well this place I'm born around and "Le Mistral" that the name of the strong wind on this coast can blow hard very hard in few hours and that going by 3 days wind

so when he blow can are by 3 day range so for 3 days 6 days or 9 days ...

Hugues

This boat and Donald Trump prove that money can't buy good taste...

Nobody was hurt? Just insurance.

May not be that sad for that owner, since the boat was for sale, but sad for many. Two of the marinas along that coast have had major boat damage over the years.

Here is a link to some prior history of the area:

Big Storm In Port Andratx Palma - General Yachting Discussion | YachtForums: We Know Big Boats!

I can hardly wait till I dock there... then my ins premium would make me happy. Talk bout sharing the risk regarding high insurance costs. Geeezzz!!! I've never even had a claim on any vehicle insurance policy for decades... boat of course included. :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom