View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Avista

RE: 3208T on 44 ft Gulfstar

I run my 3208TA engines typically between 1100 and 1250 rpm. They run at normal temperature at these rpm's with no issues They don't smoke or load up and seem quite happy. Regular oil samples actually show excellent (little) wear and Blackstone Lab reports usually show better results than than the "normal" baseline they use. I spent quite a bit of time researching slow speed operations on these motors including spending over an hour on the phone with Caterpillar marine applications. Cat does recommend operating the engine at normal cruise setting of 80% power for short periods when used this way. I am not at the boat where I have the information, but if memory serves it seems like 10 minutes for every four hours. Feel free to PM me if you want me to check when we go over to the boat on the weekend. I also have power setting, speed and fuel charts from test runs over measured distances which I am happy to share, but they are specific to my boat of course.
With regards to FF's comments, he may be correct, I can only tell you what my personal experience is with these motors. I have 1700 hours on mine and they use less oil than the book calls normal whe run at the low rpm (about one quart in 20 hours) vs the normal 1 quart in 8 hous at 2100 rpm. Maintenance has been minimal with hundred hour oil changes ( mine hold 16 quarts each) and zincs about every 8 months. You do also need to change the coolant in these at regular intervals as well, and you can get all the info you need from the Cat marine website regarding the maintenance schedules.
Avista is offline   Reply With Quote