Electrical panel switch indicators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schrater

Vessel Name
Matilda
Vessel Make
Ponderosa (CHB) 35' Sundeck
Newbie question here...
I cannot figure out how to replace a burned-out indicator light on my electrical panel (see pictures). The switch still works, but even when the power is on, the light is still off, so I suspect it's just a burned-out bulb. But no matter how I twist and pull the back, it doesn't release. Short of destroying it, is there a way to open these things up?

Attachments

• Photo Feb 20, 11 49 45 (1).jpg
    Photo Feb 20, 11 49 45 (1).jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Photo Feb 20, 11 38 31 (1).jpg
    Photo Feb 20, 11 38 31 (1).jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 117
It's possible that the bulb itself is not removable and the whole assembly is mean to be replaced. Get the numbers off the back and look them up on the Internet for more information.

Wes is right in that the lights you have do not have replaceable bulbs - the whole assembly needs to be taken out and replaced. You have the type with metal spring clips which push on from the back and are *designed* not to come off easily. About the only way to get those clips to give up is to pry under them a bit with a flat bladed screwdriver so they loosen up. Then the whole light comes out through the front. You'll also have to disconnect the wires which may mean cutting them depending on how they're attached. I have some right here in my desk. The black rectangle with the hole in it is the spring clip.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
OK, thanks. That clears it up.

As was said and it's clear from your photo that your lights have the retaining clip. You would have to get behind and pry that clip off ( the light housing will toast btw .. ) When you re install the new one, it's going to be a " one shot deal " so make sure the new one will fit before you push that clip in.

Good luck finding 12 - 15 +/- VDC lights, I replaced all of ours ( 24 of them ) and ended up making them custom with a LED and a resistor.

FB

........... Good luck finding 12 - 15 +/- VDC lights, I replaced all of ours ( 24 of them ) and ended up making them custom with a LED and a resistor.

FB

Get the part number and any manufacturer's information off the light and do a web search. The odds are very good you will find what it is, who makes it and where to buy it.

I was able to replace an obscure reverse polarity light that way.

I speak from some (?) experience where a lot of 12VDC rated LED lamps / bulbs etc. do not have the tolerance for over voltage as is common in boats, where the voltage may rise on occasion to 14 + VDC.

Just sayn' FB

Little metal clip holds them in place. Looks like push-lock, so need to destroy or deform the clip to get it to release. Hate those.

Try to get LED replacements.

But even LED's fail. My Blue Seas panels have about 10% of the indicators burned out after only ten years. I think they are LED, but not sure. PITA to extract and wire in new ones as they are buried under all the rest of the wiring. Not going to bother.

I worked in electronics for most of my career. You learn to deal with what you are faced with. You can pry the clips off with a small screwdriver or needle nosed pliers or you can just bust the clip and lamp. Break the lamp as close to the clip as possible and the clip will fall off. The replacement comes with a new clip anyway.

I rewired a similar panel. The D.C. bulbs were 28 volt and the ac bulbs were 250 volt. Using 12 vdc and 120 vac bulbs, the panel bulbs were way too bright. The dc bulbs are red and the ac bulbs are orange. We're in the Bahamas till May. If you can wait, I'll be glad to send you a few with clips to try them out.

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 57
I've got green lights for the AC panel. Any know of a source for those?

Gordon

Little metal clip holds them in place. Looks like push-lock, so need to destroy or deform the clip to get it to release. Hate those.

Try to get LED replacements.

But even LED's fail. My Blue Seas panels have about 10% of the indicators burned out after only ten years. I think they are LED, but not sure. PITA to extract and wire in new ones as they are buried under all the rest of the wiring. Not going to bother.

I have a bunch of burned out LEDs in my Blue Seas panel as well. Also have a burned out back panel that lights up the text on the panel. I will get to it some day, but am not a rush either.

Back
Top Bottom