Thread: fiberglass
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #14
DHeckrotte
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
foggys, I use the fiberglass sheets as sold by The Despot for use as wall coverings in restaurant kitchens and toilet rooms. Our Canadian friends say that the stuff sold up there for the same purpose is PVC.

I use the stuff for all sorts of things but not kitchens or toilet rooms: pop-in sunshades for boat windows; under-sink cabinet liner for waterproofing; pipe covers; shower ceiling; access hole covers on our trawler; roofing and trim on my wife's Little Free Library. I never use the pebbly side out; I normally sand the pebbles off to bond it, and sand the backside smooth for the show side.

The stuff is mostly gelcoat with a smidge of fiber. It's fairly brittle and low strength. I doubt, given its cost and intended use, that there's much in the way of UV resistance, though polyester resin in general is supposed to be pretty good. I don't think the shiny, pebbly surface would be much of a non-skid surface.

I think the stuff might well be tempting for exterior marine use but I don't think I would. At the very least, adequate bedding/bonding for full support, and adequate clamping (weights) to ensure that bond.would be problems to solve.

Others have considered using if for deck repair, too. Search this forum.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote