Ice makers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
Well, I've been toying with the idea of what ice machine to run, water cooled or remote condensing unit. I bought a 1000# remote unit which is currently under the house. I talked to a fellow trawler owner in Gulfport and he has a 300# water cooled unit that is cooled by recirculating the fresh water 1000 gallons+ and he doesn't have problems with over heating the unit. If I plug a 300# unit into my 1000 gallon water tank and even put a radiator with fan do y'all think that will work?

Well, I've been toying with the idea of what ice machine to run, water cooled or remote condensing unit. I bought a 1000# remote unit which is currently under the house. I talked to a fellow trawler owner in Gulfport and he has a 300# water cooled unit that is cooled by recirculating the fresh water 1000 gallons+ and he doesn't have problems with over heating the unit. If I plug a 300# unit into my 1000 gallon water tank and even put a radiator with fan do y'all think that will work?

So you commercial fishing or what?

I cannot imagine the need for 1000 pounds of ice a day.

We have a 20 lb per day ice maker that keeps our cooler filled.

Not commercial but as much residential as residential will allow.

I have a manitowok and it consumes a bit of water, but pumps out the ice. Been on my fly bridge for 5 years. Running great!

If I plug a 300# unit into my 1000 gallon water tank and even put a radiator with fan do y'all think that will work?

Swamp: I would expect the 1,000 gallons to eventually heat up and the ice maker to stop working - question is how long this would take. A much smaller water reservoir should work if you include a radiator and an electric fan. In fact, didn't you try this a few years ago?

I have a water cooled Manitowoc ice maker for my charter business. It's been going strong for 14 seasons. The unit is hooked to municipal water at probably 60 psi. It seems that the flow of cooling water varries with the supply water temperature. Late in the summer it uses more flow as the water temperature rises. It seems to me that you might want to research the unit to determine maximum allowable cooling water temperatures and flow requirements before trying to engineer the system.

Ted

Very observant, I did and it failed but that was 1000# machine using 100 gallon reservoir. Smaller machine with larger water volume might work. I am going to try yet again to solve this enigma.

Greetings,
Mr. ks. "I cannot imagine the need for 1000 pounds of ice a day." LOTSA cold beer, I mean a LOTSA, LOTSA...

giphy.gif

So you commercial fishing or what?

I cannot imagine the need for 1000 pounds of ice a day.

We have a 20 lb per day ice maker that keeps our cooler filled.
:iagree:

1000 gallon water tank and 300# machine. I don't want it to run all day. That why it's over sized. Maybe run about 1/2 a day to make 100#, 50# will probably melt

Back
Top Bottom