My Boat to Be!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Guys

This is my boat soon...very soon! It will be called Rainha Jannota (Queen Jannota) In honor of my wife and admiral, Ms Jana

LOA 46', LWL 40.12', Disp 55000 lbs, single Deutz T*145 HP @ 2500 RPM qith 33.5" x 26" 4 blade propeller

Attachments

• render.jpg
    render.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 125
  • f1_chegandomadeira.jpg
    f1_chegandomadeira.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 92
  • f14_cavpicadeiro 2.jpg
    f14_cavpicadeiro 2.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 90
  • f19_destaque_roda%20de%20proa.jpg
    f19_destaque_roda%20de%20proa.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 81
  • f30_tunel_bt.jpg
    f30_tunel_bt.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 100
  • f37_destaque_proa.jpg
    f37_destaque_proa.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 84
  • f42_coberto.jpg
    f42_coberto.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 86
  • f46_bolinalateral.jpg
    f46_bolinalateral.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 83
  • f53_laminacao_1.jpg
    f53_laminacao_1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 88
  • f54_laminacao_1.jpg
    f54_laminacao_1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 77
Thank you Jack...and I will...soon we'll be turning it up side up...

Now that's a real trawler. Who designed it? Can you post the lines drawing? Did you plane the planking on site? We should all have such a boat. Keep stuff coming.

wow that is really cool!* thanks for sharing and I look forward to more.

Great looking vessel.
Please keep us in formed of your progress.
What design and where are you building it.

LOVE it! Perfect timing too....Mark just got his newly built trawler delivered a week or two ago so we are ready for a new build project to follow!! :)

Woodsong wrote:
LOVE it! Perfect timing too....Mark just got his newly built trawler delivered a week or two ago so we are ready for a new build project to follow!! :)
*Give it to us!

Nomadwilly:

The boat was designed by Roberto Mesquita de Barros and his office. (google it). The building process is called ply glass and on top of the wood it has 3/4" fiberglass with epoxy from keel to water line and 1/2 above waterline. Inside, it has 3 coats of epoxy impregnating resin up to waterline and 2 coats above it. Everything is glued with epoxy. No other resin is used. The total thickness of the keel is 4", from keel to water line 3 1/4", above water line 1 5/8".

The plyglass system was adapted by Roberto who went around the globe with his wife twice in a 23 sailboat. The advantage is that you dont have to worry about plywood sheet measurements.

I wonder if that's stronger than steel or aluminum? Should be. You wrote "The advantage is that you don't have to worry about plywood sheet measurements". Does that mean one can build a plywood hull first without regard to tight fit of the edges of the plywood because of all the epoxy that will cover it will keep the water out? I have thought of that many times. The resulting hull will be more fair than w most FG boats and virtually all metal boats. A truly wonderful build technique but what becomes of all the wood when the boat is 30 years old? A stronger boat can be built from* wood but w less puncture resistance especially on planked hulls. I see as a huge advantage w the "plyglass" system the fact that just about any shape could be created w relative ease. Is your build on BoatDesign?

Disadvantage - you have all the inherit problems you have with cored decks and hulls. Water intrusion is your enemy.

-- Edited by Anode on Tuesday 14th of June 2011 08:36:53 AM

Hey, it great you found trawlerforum.* The last time I heard they were going to turn the hull over and start installing the engine, International 185 hp, if I remember right.* You had other questions?

I noticed you are using cloth rather than matt.

I know the cloth doesn't absorb as much resin.*

You are*using epoxy rather than poly resin?

As I know epoxy is much more expensive. *

SD

Phil:

There was a downgrade on the engine. I put more emphasis on the gear and cut power to 145HP 2500 RPM, but same engine. The final result is continuous 145HP @ 2500 RPM, connected to ZFW220 3.96:1 turning a 2.25 SS 316 shaft with a 4 blade 33.5 x 26 prop. (pitch to be fine tuned when finished vessel is weighted)

The hull was never turned as the fund$ disappeared all of a sudden. Now we are resuming construction by turning the hull....soon I'll be posting pictures and a video about it.

Skipperdude:

I am a lucky guy. I am building the boat less than a mile away from a Fiberglass factory. It gets better yet, the Tubolit factory is only 3 miles away and its manager is family relative of the fiberglass factory owner. They dont want to mess any job with their products mainly when they have the opportunity to police the application in the close neighborhood. How about that? Youre correct. Math eats a lot more resin. Internal junctions are covered with 4 carbon fiber tape.

Anode

Thats a concern. Despite the fact that nothing lasts forever, I have seen a piece of hull taken from a 24 years sail boat. The wood from the core was as dry as it was the day they built the boat. Remember, the epoxy from today is way more efficient than 20 years ago.

I dont remover if the hull was full displacement or semi displacement to go over hull speed?* If I remember the builder built sail boats and local commercial fish boats.* *In the pictures I notice rolling chocks, and I think there are holes for a bow thruster also?* Did you decide to go electric or hydraulic?* **

The best advise, which I believe, I gave you was to talk and walk the local docks/marinas/yards and the builder to see what is available and popular in your area.* That is what I did and still do with the Eagle.* So dont be shy as we will still give you more opinions and options than you want. *

Eric

The answers to*the majority of*your questions are YES! The only thing that plyglass doesn't like much is round hulls. But it can be done if you decrease the thickness of layers and add more layers...by the way, more layers = stronger hull. Check for the designer website....yachtdesign.com.br

About smoothness, how much more smoother can the hull in pictures be?

Attachments

• 13312148300_imagem_destaque_dsc_0020.jpg
    13312148300_imagem_destaque_dsc_0020.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 269
  • 2840884860_imagem_destaque_dsc_0019.jpg
    2840884860_imagem_destaque_dsc_0019.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 287
Benn:

The hull is the Curruira 42' (yachtdesign.com.br) extended to 46' with alterations from waterline up. We are building it in Brazil and mine is hull #2

Rgs

Fernando

Phil:

The boat has a L/D 313 which makes it a Displacement hull. It has a pair of roll chokes that were ordered from me as the designer did not thought about. The BT is a 10hp SP130 12V. I could not afford the hydraulic system in Brazil. And YES! I walked the wolk and talked the talk with fishermen, small coast carriers,*water buses, and professional diving boast amd buoy service boast. They were unanimous..." get the Deutz 145HP. You can get spairs even in pharmacies. Besides that, any dumm mechanic helper can*fix that engine." They said!***

Back
Top Bottom